Advice about Cirque Show

Feebs2015

My daughter (21) is travelling with me on Epic this June on a girlie vacation ...yay! :):)

So, she is also visually impaired, she has a little sight but she doesn't let it stop her in any way. We regularly go to concerts and she will bring her little telescope so she can see detail on the stage.

But I am really wondering if I should book the Cirque show based on her lack of sight. I can get the tickets at a really good price as we have a promo SDP, but really don't want to waste our money if there isn't a hope of her seeing something.

I think the balcony seats might be more doable. My question is are the seats at the level of the performers?

I also plan to speak to guest relations to see if we could perhaps view the seating and see what would work best for her. We have found in the past that concert organisers are usually very helpful and supportive but I have no experience of NCL. We once got moved to the very front in a Michael Buble concert and the difference for my daughter was phenomenal. It made her night.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've been to Cirque only once, and that was a few weeks ago on the Epic. We sat in the balcony seats, and they were above the level of the performers--quite a way above. From what you describe, it sounds like premium seating on the floor may be better for your daughter. There is audience participation and those audience members are chosen from those sitting in premium seating on the floor level. You may want to talk with them before the performance to explain your daughter's impairment to them so she isn't chosen to participate (it would likely be difficult for her with a visual impairment since the "conductor" points at different participants as a cue to perform their parts).

It's pretty dark in the room, but of course the performers are lit. I don't know if that would be an issue, but thought it would be helpful information for you in making your decision.

Again, I would talk with them before hand. Maybe they will let you go into the venue and look around to get an idea of whether it will work.

Best wishes!

Another vote for downstairs seating. On the Getaway recently, the Illusionarium doors were open on departure day while people were initially walking around to explore the ship. I walked in and looked around to see what it was like. Perhaps the Epic does the same with the Cirque theatre. But even if they don't I would speak with Guest Services on the ship. My guess would be that if you let them know in advance, they would have seats available for you in the location that was going to work best for you and they would reserve them for you.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

There's a number listed on their website for calling if you have special needs / disability. Look that up and call them? They do say on there that they endeavour to provide what they can to make a person with disability's cruise more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My daughter (21) is travelling with me on Epic this June on a girlie vacation ...yay! :):)

So, she is also visually impaired, she has a little sight but she doesn't let it stop her in any way. We regularly go to concerts and she will bring her little telescope so she can see detail on the stage.

But I am really wondering if I should book the Cirque show based on her lack of sight. I can get the tickets at a really good price as we have a promo SDP, but really don't want to waste our money if there isn't a hope of her seeing something.

I think the balcony seats might be more doable. My question is are the seats at the level of the performers?

I also plan to speak to guest relations to see if we could perhaps view the seating and see what would work best for her. We have found in the past that concert organisers are usually very helpful and supportive but I have no experience of NCL. We once got moved to the very front in a Michael Buble concert and the difference for my daughter was phenomenal. It made her night.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

there are several video on youtube

From NCL website

Guests who are Blind or Have Low Vision

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we will attempt to provide our Blind or Low Vision guests with an enjoyable cruise, which means providing personal, customized service to make your cruise fun, safe and happy.

For additional information, call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to accessdesk@ncl.com, or have your travel agent contact us.

Amenities and Services Available include:

Embarkation day meeting with staff member who will see to your accessibility needs during the cruise

A vessel orientation tour is available upon request

Braille / tactile signage

Service animals allowed onboard and must be arranged through the Access Desk prior to the cruise

Edited by Orleanscruiser

there are several video on youtube

From NCL website

Guests who are Blind or Have Low Vision

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we will attempt to provide our Blind or Low Vision guests with an enjoyable cruise, which means providing personal, customized service to make your cruise fun, safe and happy.

For additional information, call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to accessdesk@ncl.com, or have your travel agent contact us.

Amenities and Services Available include:

Embarkation day meeting with staff member who will see to your accessibility needs during the cruise

A vessel orientation tour is available upon request

Braille / tactile signage

Service animals allowed onboard and must be arranged through the Access Desk prior to the cruise

That's fantastic information! Thanks so much.

I love this place and all you very knowledgable cruisers!

Last time we went there were 7 of us. We were right on the floor, the 2 at the end were about 5 feet from the action, I was farthest at about 10 feet. It is a premium seat but worth every penny. I like the suggestion to call special needs. Have fun.

Just watched the YouTube videos (why didn't I think of looking there!)

You are all 100% spot on for ground floor seating, so much easier for a visually impaired person to see.

I will also email NCL, I did inform our TA but not sure it went any further.

Thanks everyone

Email the access desk directly, ask for their form and fill out the low vision sections and return it to the access desk. Include the need for seating accommodations at shows such as cirque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The on the floor tables do not sit around the "stage" or ring. They eminate out like the rays of the sun. So if seated on the end closest to the action she will be golden, but if seated on the opposite end, I am afraid she would have a hard time. From there she will have to look past or through everyone else at the table.

I have emailed the access desk twice this week and still no response.

I am very disappointed in the cruise line and that's before I ever go on my first cruise with them!!!

Am I being a little premature in my complaint? I first emailed them three days ago. Perhaps I am.

Here's hoping.

I have emailed the access desk twice this week and still no response.

I am very disappointed in the cruise line and that's before I ever go on my first cruise with them!!!

Am I being a little premature in my complaint? I first emailed them three days ago. Perhaps I am.

Here's hoping.

Unfortunately, they can be a little slow. But, i'd give them a couple more days before passing too much judgment. These days it seems we expect answers instantaneously--the internet has trained us well! Keep in mind, it's a person(s) who had to personally respond to each and every email they receive...

Hopefully, I'm not just being optimistic and you'll hear from them soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Just posting to say I did get a reply.

A medical form to be filled in so my daughter can receive priority booking, which I duly sent in but have heard nothing since even though I specifically asked for a return email to confirm my request.

We were also offered a ship orientation tour and a one to one muster session which would be very beneficial to a visually impaired person.

With regards to all other on board issues like priority seating etc, the advice was to ask for the access officer when on board. I did book premium seating for Cirque so I am hopeful there will be no issues allowing her to choose the seat she could see best from - not so sure about all the other shows but I guess we will wait and see.

Just posting to say I did get a reply.

A medical form to be filled in so my daughter can receive priority booking, which I duly sent in but have heard nothing since even though I specifically asked for a return email to confirm my request.

We were also offered a ship orientation tour and a one to one muster session which would be very beneficial to a visually impaired person.

With regards to all other on board issues like priority seating etc, the advice was to ask for the access officer when on board. I did book premium seating for Cirque so I am hopeful there will be no issues allowing her to choose the seat she could see best from - not so sure about all the other shows but I guess we will wait and see.

I'm glad you heard back and I hope everything goes smoothly!