Tru Bahamian Food Tour

cruisinelmo

We have been in Nassau several times and would like to do something different. We can always stay on the ship while in port but it was suggested to try a walking tour of various restaurants tasting the local food. In addition to this you will receive a dose of the history of the area. Has anyone heard or done this tour.

http://trubahamianfoodtours.com/

We have been in Nassau several times and would like to do something different. We can always stay on the ship while in port but it was suggested to try a walking tour of various restaurants tasting the local food. In addition to this you will receive a dose of the history of the area. Has anyone heard or done this tour.

http://trubahamianfoodtours.com/

This tour has recently lost it's star attraction (conch chowder w/sherry). The eatery has closed down. Not sure what they would replace it with.

As for the other stops. Athena's is a greek salad, and Graycliffs (chocolate) and Watlings (rum taste) are free. All an easy walk.

We did the tour last season and were not impressed. We have since gone to several of these places for free.

Oh.. and Tortuga rum cakes are flown in from Cayman Islands. Pick up a bahamian rum cake instead.

As for the walking tour.. that's free too. Just check in with the tourist bureau, they have guides and self guided tours. All free.

Bahamian Cookin' closed down??? Since when?

Van Bruegels closed recently. They provided conch chowder. If I remember correctly, Bahamian Cookin provided Conch fritter/cracked conch or something similar.

Van Bruegels closed recently. They provided conch chowder. If I remember correctly, Bahamian Cookin provided Conch fritter/cracked conch or something similar.

Thanks for explaining. I'm sorry about Van Bruegels but glad Bahamian Cookin' is still there.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I recently did this tour and enjoyed it. The actual food was good (and fairly substantial.) First stop was Bahamian Cookin' and beside two conch fritters you also got a sampler plate which consisted of "steamed" chicken (actually a slow-cooked stewed chicken), plantains, Bahamian mac and cheese, cole slaw and rice and beans. Second stop was at Greycliff for chocolate and beer. And threw in a gelato tasting. (This was a test; sounds like in the future gelato will replace the beer.) Next was Athena's which was conch chowder and a Greek salad, followed by an "educational tasting" which consisted of different local sauces and jams on a cracker. (If you want to learn more about local ingredients such as lemongrass or habanero chili or allspice, you could find out here.) Final stop was Tortuga rum cake.

But besides the food, there was a running commentary on places such as the Balcony House, Christ Church, Government House (as you passed them) and the history of the Bahamas.

The one thing I found interesting about this tour was that it did NOT allow for shopping in any of the stops (except for the Tortuga Rum place since it was the final stop.) If you wanted to buy anything, you needed to go back to the restaurant or shop to get anything. I personally liked this since most tours seem to just steer you to places that the tour operator is getting a kick back from.

Not the type of people who want to hang out at a beach, this was a great way to spend a few hours learning more about the food and history of the Bahamas.

That's nice that you can do the walk and tastings for free. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the tour. Yes, the Greek salad was a bit strange, but I enjoyed everything else. (Not that the salad wasn't good).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app