Ventura hits a storm

miss travel

Yes, I have looked as well and can't find it. We were also on board, and now want the Tee shirt. It certainly was the talking point of the cruise. I do feel sorry for the first time cruisers, with gale force 12 winds, which translates to hurricane force. I thought it was strange that the captains log given to passengers didn't reflect what he said, or what we saw and felt. The lean on the ship was about11degrees so I was told, and this seems about right with what we experienced. It must have been a very difficult night for the captain and his officers.

Anyway, it certainly was the talking point of the cruise. But to all those first time cruisers, 'don't give up on cruising, try something with less sea days and in the Summer.'

Sweby

We were on Ventura too and echo everything said so far. A chap mentioned the you tube clip so I've searched to no avail!

The worst was at night though so how would it be clear? There is a clip from a couple of years ago. We did wonder how oceana was managing as she is smaller than us.

Another question...were the stabilisers on? We didn't feel that the ride was as comfortable as other ships we've been on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on Ventura too and echo everything said so far. A chap mentioned the you tube clip so I've searched to no avail!

The worst was at night though so how would it be clear? There is a clip from a couple of years ago. We did wonder how oceana was managing as she is smaller than us.

Another question...were the stabilisers on? We didn't feel that the ride was as comfortable as other ships we've been on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stabilisers would not necessarily be on as a general rule - they are not needed in relatively calm seas. It would depend on the sea conditions. AI am sure the Captain would have engaged them in the weather you had though. They only help to reduce roll, dont do anything to reduce pitching, but do increase fuel consumption.

I think you just had some pretty lumpy seas MawganT so your ride may not have been as comfortable as on some other ships. Having said that I havent been on Ventura so dont know how she handles the seas!

Edited by Mysticalmother

I don't think it handled very well at all - even in moderate seas ?

If you were a first time cruiser the experience in the atrium on deck 5 would have been disconcerting, even the day after - I have never experienced that level of noise + vibration - is this normal for the Ventura/P+O similar size vessel anyone ?

Husband and I both ex-RN and I was very nervous ! (Although he thought it was great in his Pullman when he nearly came out a few times)

I guess we were spoiled on our last cruise - an Indie accessible JS ...?

If I was offered a free cruise on the Ventura I would not take it up I'm afraid.

Any info on other ships appreciated as we have just booked an Indie TA Carib for next year (Oct/Nov) and wondering how I will cope in another storm (however unlikely) ...?

I don't think it handled very well at all - even in moderate seas ?

If you were a first time cruiser the experience in the atrium on deck 5 would have been disconcerting, even the day after - I have never experienced that level of noise + vibration - is this normal for the Ventura/P+O similar size vessel anyone ?

Husband and I both ex-RN and I was very nervous ! (Although he thought it was great in his Pullman when he nearly came out a few times)

I guess we were spoiled on our last cruise - an Indie accessible JS ...?

If I was offered a free cruise on the Ventura I would not take it up I'm afraid.

Any info on other ships appreciated as we have just booked an Indie TA Carib for next year (Oct/Nov) and wondering how I will cope in another storm (however unlikely) ...?

Hi - this was our second time being in a Hurricane whilst on Ventura. Tbh - the first time I was like you quite scared. However this time it didn't worry me at all. I don't really know what type of ships you were on in the RN however I would imagine they were much smaller and nowhere near as tall as Ventura and therefore would handle in a very different way. I guess part of the reason you were un-nerved by Ventura was it was a very different experience to what you had experienced before. I found that 2nd time around you would be a lot more relaxed. I cannot compare to other ships as we have not been in rough weather like that on any other ship. We went on IOS once and found her to very stable - however we had very calm seas!!!! So it wasn't really fair to compare. I guess most of the modern cruise ships will handle that way as they are so tall .

Hopefully next time you will feel more relaxed as you now know what to expect. We had also chosen a cabin which was low down and mid ship which definitely helped too.

Shame this has put you off Ventura

Sue

Does anyone have the YouTube link showing Ventura sailing in storm Katie. I believe it was videoed by someone sailing on the britannia which was behind the ventura. It was on 27/28 march .

Many thanks

Kerry

I heard the same thing and would love to see it. Spent ages looking but can't find it anywhere.

We had cat 1 hurricane winds for almost 3 days on IOS , sounds like she handled pretty much the same as Ventura, front to back and side to side motion, I watched the ships stats on the cabin TV, when the wind got to 123 mph I switched off, it started to scare me a bit. One lifeboat broke from its fixings and whacked against the side of the ship all night. We stayed in more or less the same position off the Portuguese coast for 2 days, we had to miss our first port of call Madeira. The rest of the cruise was fab, glorious weather in the canaries, I was a bit worried about the return across BoB but it was like a mill pond. We have done 2 more cruises since, but I would never sail out of Southampton Oct to end of March.

Edited by sunnyhat