NCL Getaway Review w/ Pics - April 3-10 from a past Carnival perspective

santacap

Day 8 - Debarkation

As mentioned we put our bags out the night before with the blue tags with a debarkation of 10 AM. Not much to say about this process other than it went very smoothly.

We went for breakfast at Taste restaurant and it was just the same as any of the breakfasts. Service didn't drop because we were debarking, the food was just as good and served warm and promptly.

We were a little late getting started but the crew did a good job of getting things moving and caught up. We grabbed a seat in the atrium lobby and grabbed a coffee (charged to CC on account) and waited our turn for maybe 30 minutes. They had a video of the week playing on the big screen so it was nice to see the recap.

Once off the ship we found our bags layed out in a main hall by tag colour, and we were through customs in a matter of minutes and had a driver to the Savoy all set up. For the 7 of us it cost 60 bucks and we arranged to have them pick us up on Tuesday at the Savoy.

Getting some pictures loaded up of the ship, iCOncierge screen grabs and some dailies / guppies schedules now. Followed with some general thoughts not mentioned previously.

:)

For Cozumel u mentioned doing a private jeep tour before. Do you remember through who? W are looking at http://www.cozumeltoursexcursions.com but nobody on here has commented on them and they don't have a lot of reviews but the ones they do are great

For Cozumel u mentioned doing a private jeep tour before. Do you remember through who? W are looking at http://www.cozumeltoursexcursions.com but nobody on here has commented on them and they don't have a lot of reviews but the ones they do are great

as a matter of fact it was them... keep in mind it was 8 years ago, but most definitely one of our favorite island tours

as a matter of fact it was them... keep in mind it was 8 years ago, but most definitely one of our favorite island tours

8 years ago wow .. I would think they would have more reviews them they do. But I think I'm going to go with them was just looking for some more reviews and info on them first. Thanks for your time

8 years ago wow .. I would think they would have more reviews them they do. But I think I'm going to go with them was just looking for some more reviews and info on them first. Thanks for your time

We've always had good luck with them as well. No problem.

Running into a few issues with the scanner but hopefully will be fixed soon .:confused:

Hi

Thanks for the review....I have been tempted to try NCL out of NY soon so find your thoughts and observations very useful. I Also have a friend who is on the JADE now on a cruise to Barcelona out of Miami and she is having a wonderful time.

I am wondering how one goes about posting pictures on CC. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

PAtrick

Hi

Thanks for the review....I have been tempted to try NCL out of NY soon so find your thoughts and observations very useful. I Also have a friend who is on the JADE now on a cruise to Barcelona out of Miami and she is having a wonderful time.

I am wondering how one goes about posting pictures on CC. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

PAtrick quote.gif

apologies for the delay. I have been uploading them to a photo hosting site (I used photobucket) then you will have a direct link to use. Hit the image icon on the reply area insertimage.gif then copy link into the box that pops up.

THanks, have a great cruise

Thank you for the great review and beautiful photos.

We will be cruising the Getaway in June!

:) Jazz

appreciate it. My pleasure.

Have a great trip:)

Post Cruise - The Savoy

Thought I'd put up some real quick thoughts on our post cruise place. We have found this place for quite some time now and it continues to be our go to spot for a little unwinding after a cruise. The prices are fairly stable for South Beach, the location works for us and the grounds are nice.

One year we splurged for an oceanview suite and it was not worth the cost difference for us. To be honest, the room we had this year had a better view of the ocean believe it or not. The rooms have a little kitchenette, and a great bathroom with a couple beds for families.

Much like anything in the SB area the food / drinks are pricey but just up the street is a walgreens to grab some beers / wines and a liquor store attached.

Most important for us, the pools are clean, the ocean is right there with a lounger / umbrella included in the 'resort' fees and it's familiar to us and the staff is always friendly with us.

Some of the rooms in our group needed a little TLC, nothing outlandish or we haven't seen in other hotels just some frayed carpets. The rooms were always cleaned first thing, and quickly.

We spent 2 nights at The Savoy and for us it's the perfect time to just relax and sit by a quiet pool all day and watch Josh swim and play.

20160411_103157_zps3xhm53jx.jpg

20160411_103235_zpsie6nhkgq.jpg

20160411_103229_zpsur1yc46n.jpg

20160411_103217_zpshabypequ.jpg

20160411_103211_zps2tb7hzgj.jpg

Cruise Overview / Thoughts

I am a planner, and overly so per my wife. I tried this time to not be too familiar with the overall layout of the ship, and enjoy the experience of exploring with the family. I think I did pretty well with this, but I did read some reviews prior and paid attention to comments in the year or so leading up to the cruise since we put the deposit down. So the comments come from those for the most part.

I found the ship, very easy to navigate. If you were ever not sure, the ship had these great touch screen TV's that you can find the location you are looking for and map it and the screen will give you a dotted red line on where you are and where you are looking for is. Very nice feature.

Speaking of the TV screens, it was also an avenue to see how busy restaurants were, make reservations at restaurants and tenders etc.

With the layout the atrium / 678 area was very nice. Kind of gave an open view to the mainly inside public areas and broke up the walk nicely IMO.

I never had a problem waiting for a drink. Maybe I am just a bit more accepting that at a martini / mojito bar it will take some time to make these drinks to order and can stomach a few minutes to wait to be served. As I have mentioned in the review the service in the seating areas was also very prompt and friendly. Waterfront was very peaceful and relaxing.

We used the iConcierge app alot for the group and never had any connection issues, and it was a great way to stay in touch, well worth the 7.99 for the week. You can also book tenders, find restaurants, make reservations and everything you might need for the week. I took some screen shots which I will put up.

I can't really comment on the kids program. The night Josh went he had fun, but didn't want to go back. He just would rather be a part of the action we are experiencing and that is fine with us, it's our vacation, not just my wife and mine.

The ports were familiar to us, but with that said we will take a few years off from the western side as it's been a little too familiar to us. All were amazing times, and just what we wanted to do.

NCL service not from the bar area was always very helpful to us. We dealt with a couple issues / questions at guest services and were handled promptly. As well the shore excursions staff were very quick and knowledgeable. I did notice, as well as others in our group, the visibility of what seemed to be more senior officers walking the ship during the day time and night and engaging passengers which was very nice. I didn't have much interactions with the CD so not much to say, he didn't talk too much on the speakers which was nice. Each debarkation at ports was easy, and with the exception of Grand Cayman getting back on was easy as well.

We have already booked our next trip, on the Escape for next year and can't wait to plan and read more reviews.

That brings me to the end, unless I think of something else, but please do feel free to ask any questions.

How to tell you needed room cleaned / or quiet

20160408_101947_zps4q7lwcr2.jpg

how the stewards tell

20160408_091800_zps9uwtgeet.jpg

TV screens

20160409_112646_zps7xrxxsmt.jpg

Guest services

20160409_112632_zpsi1cbnnc9.jpg

Look for these

20160409_094952_zpsmiligjly.jpg

Late night room service pizza

20160409_001912_zpsxshu4kty.jpg

I am new to cruise critic. I really enjoyed your review and learned a lot! Thank you!

Glad I could help out. If anything pops up you needed to know just ask.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks again for your report :)

My pleasure, thanks for reading along :)

Are the lines to get back in the ship longer/shorter at certain times of the day? I'm thinking if there is a pattern we would try to time our arrival back at port to coincide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on the Getaway this past month and they had about 4 tender boats running. No lines like that. I wonder what was the hold up. Of course we have never experienced lines before. But we get back on the ship about 2 hours before we are supposed to . I wonder if everyone waited until the last hour because of excursions ending. WOW that is crazy!!

Great Review - Thanks for all the information and great pictures!

Thanks, glad I could help out any way I could. :)

Love your review and all the pictures. Makes me ready to go back on the Getaway. Looks like you all had a great time

I think it might have just been the 'imperfect storm' for GC. Time, bad weather day previous, 4 other ships etc. That's what Im going with anyways. But needs to be looked at if it is regular at that point, maybe have standby tenders.

Glad you enjoyed, we can't wait to get back on NCL. Going to try the Escape next, then maybe if Getaway is still overseas ;)