NCL Getaway Review w/ Pics - April 3-10 from a past Carnival perspective

santacap

Day 2 - Great Stirrup Cay

This day was filled with much anticipation as most of the reviews I had read leading up to our departure this stop was missed due to winds / weather. Once available we booked a large cabana for our group of 7. This booking came with a 50 dollar credit in food delivered to the cabana, 2 float mats, chips / dips, fruits. The cabana was equipped with a fresh water shower, fridge, open air deck, hammock, ceiling fan, loungers and most important plenty of shade.

The night before you must pick your food choices, from a menu delivered to your room. Choices were diverse, and you could of course go over the allotted money charged to your account. With all of our group on the UBP we went with a meat platter, shrimps and some more fruits.

Having the cabana also gave us a priority tender, with the first one leaving at 7:45 we made our way across about 9 o'clock and we were the first of the group of large cabanas there. The tender process was seamless and well organized with no back ups in line. The walk took no more than 5 minutes to get there and were immediately greeted by our waiter for the day who took excellent care of us. As a note for anybody looking, we were given Cabana #1, and once on the island were greeted by a cabana specific representative from shore excursions and directed how to get there.

Unfortunately it was a fairly grey day, and the water was cool. That didn't stop our son from going in the water and never leaving. One comment with kids is that the distance to the beach is pretty lengthy so you would have to go down with them.

As a comparison to Carnival's Half Moon Cay I would say Carnival has this island beat for beach alone. I found the entry to the waters by the cabanas to be very rocky, and not as white. But hey, I will take a day on the beach over a great day at work any day and all day.

Lunch buffet was excellent, and located almost right beside our cabana. We waited a bit for the line to die down as we were in no rush after picking at our sides in the morning, so I can't comment on any peak times. We went about 1:30 and the food was still hot, fresh and very tasty.

My son was disappointed to hear that the hippo slide was broken, nobody seemed to know when it would be back, but that didn't dampen his spirits for his first true beach day of the cruise.

The tender process back was again seamless, and the lines moved very quickly. Up next dinner that night at Le Bistro and some other tidbits

Food going over

IMG_0453_zpsjhcvxfc2.jpg

We'll be there soon!!

IMG_0489_zps9n341rqr.jpg

When not in the water, he's still having fun

IMG_0467_zpsts8b5xvv.jpg

IMG_0463_zps4kf5ssbi.jpg

Day 2 Cont'd

Tonight we once again had earlyish dinner reservations for Le Bistro. This was one of my favorite meals. What I found at all the specialty restaurants was the portions were just right, not too small, but just the right amount of food to feel full and not stuffed. I had ordered the lobster (cold water which was again a nice touch from the Carnival lobster) it was phenomenal. Followed up by the cheese platter and port wine (when in Rome, or France in this case):D. Service was prompt, friendly and knowledgeable (suggesting sides, paired wines etc)

After dinner with the Headlines / Howl at the Moon across from us we decided to check it out. The group on board playing the pianos were very talented and knew most songs. Wasn't your typical Howl at the Moon set up where they are playing for solely tips but more like a band (drums etc) where they would play requests and the tips would go to the front. Personally I would prefer the piano bar on a Carnival ship due to its atmosphere rather than stadium / club type seating at the Headlines room but it was still quite entertaining.

Tonight was the night the clocks went back an hour, and a card was given in your dailies that night letting you know. I thought this was a nice idea as we were due in 3 straight ports with what equals CST, and we were due a sea day so it gave a day to get accustomed to the difference.

Up next our first day at Sea and chance to really explore

20160404_175444_zpsq5bj6s7z.jpg

20160404_185630_zpsq3leylsj.jpg

20160404_193602_zpszjm636iu.jpg

yes it does, we are the first for this itinerary leaving on the 24th :) Not too excited about Belize but the other 3 stops should be lots of fun.

Awesome, have a great cruise.

Hope to see a trip report from you when you return :) Curious to see what they do about the time changes!

Day 2 Cont'd

After dinner with the Headlines / Howl at the Moon across from us we decided to check it out. The group on board playing the pianos were very talented and knew most songs. Wasn't your typical Howl at the Moon set up where they are playing for solely tips but more like a band (drums etc) where they would play requests and the tips would go to the front. Personally I would prefer the piano bar on a Carnival ship due to its atmosphere rather than stadium / club type seating at the Headlines room but it was still quite entertaining.

I love the piano bar on Carnival! I had so much fun there every single night on my last cruise. I am going to miss that on my Getaway cruise. However, I have been to Howl at the Moon in Chicago and it was a blast so I am really looking forward to going on the cruise!

I'll be on the Getaway 2/17-my first time with NCL and in a studio cabin.

I am thoroughly enjoying your photos, especially photos of your adorable little boy ! The joy on his precious face is contagious !

Your son is adorable. Thanks for the review.

Seminole- we are on the same cruise as you

Thanks, he gets it from his Mom :) have a great trip

Thanks for the pics from Le Bistro! We have reservations there the first night we cruise. So excited!

Will be our first place to go on the next cruise. Enjoy

Can you please tell me if you were allowed to simply put a luggage tag on your case of water? I was told no when I tried to do this at Port Everglades. Thanks!

Most definitely, that's all we did. Nothing fancy, just stapled it to the top of the case and made it as stable as possible. Made it to the room no problems.

great review, love all the pictures, nice to hear about the ice bar as daugher and partner are really looking forward to it on our june 26 cruise.

keep it coming cant wait for the next installment.

It was a great time. Wife loved it after getting a bit of a burn lol. Have a great cruise.

What a cutie you have there. I bet he had a blast. I am enjoying your review, waiting for more. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

He had a great time. He has never been one for the kids club, would rather be on the deck with us, which is fine by us too. He says he wants to only do Norwegian now lol.

The staff were amazing with him, from the senior officers right down the line.

I love the piano bar on Carnival! I had so much fun there every single night on my last cruise. I am going to miss that on my Getaway cruise. However, I have been to Howl at the Moon in Chicago and it was a blast so I am really looking forward to going on the cruise!

Definitely a great time, would have liked to have them play a bit more but sharing with the comedy show venue makes them flip flop. Different setting as I mentioned but worthwhile all the same.

Day 3 - Day At Sea

Before the cruise we had bought tickets to Wine Lover the Musical, but unfortunately this was pushed back / cancelled to the last sea day which didn't work for us and our other plans so we were refunded the money and no hassle at guest services. Just another thing to try on the next cruise

This was our first true day to explore the ship and enjoy the pools which brought about one issue I did have with the Getaway. Being a family it seemed as if the kids / family area was an afterthought for seating etc. I am confident in my sons swimming abilities but still like to be in the general area. For this on the Getaway the only available spots were along a small hallway like area and seating was a regular chair. Nothing we couldn't handle but again seemed like the Adults only sections were more prominent. I don't have a problem, but I would have liked to swim as a family in the main pool, but being adults only we couldn't. Which is a shame because every time at the adults only pool it seemed to only be used ad a foot refresher and lounge area.

Lounge chairs were not to be found especially for our larger group, but that's the same on every ship / cruise we have ever done. There's really just no way around it. What i did find nice was there lots of shaded areas and you didn't have to bake in the sun to be on the deck.

After a few hours in the pool I was getting a bit antsy and headed to the gym to burn off some energy. This was a great layout with ample ellipticals, treadmills bikes in one room overlooking the waters, and the weights etc were in the room across the hall. unfortunately I didn't get any pictures but it was very roomy, and clean. One other note along the same line of exercise etc. Not sure who thought the placement of the walking / running track on the deck would be good to go through main seating / rock wall lines etc but it was pretty silly to see IMO.

As the day went on, the lines for the slides, ropes course, rock wall got longer so we made note for the last sea day. Josh was dying to try the rock wall so we made pinky swears to try it after dinner, which we did.

Today was the day for Mr Sexy Legs, which was on the adult only pool, but all in all pretty funny and a nice change from the hairy chest, even if it was the same type of show all things being equal.

Some more observations in comparison, the live music was very prominent which we enjoyed. Carnival kind of did away with this in lieu of DJ music over the years.

Tonight was dinner at Cagneys, man oh man was this a great steak and the service was excellent. My camera batter died so I didn't get many pictures of the dinner. A nice touch was the bar area between Cagneys and Moderno as a gathering / meeting spot before dinner for a cocktail.

After dinner we tried, and learned our lesson that you can't just walk up to the comedy show. So with that lesson learned we hopped on the iConcierge app and made reservations for the Friday evening family show. With that said we were all looking forward to our stop in Ocho Rios and tour with Marvyn Gayle and his group so we grabbed a night cap and headed to the rooms to relax and enjoy the balcony.

By far my favorite couple pictures from the cruise, can just see his thought process at the rock wall.

20160407_171135_zpsvesto0jg.jpg

20160407_171259_zpsb4znrchi.jpg

20160407_172031_zps0flncvx4.jpg

Kids pool

20160409_123919_zpswscyh8a6.jpg

20160409_125013_zpsdomtchjc.jpg

no more sponge bob

20160409_123917_zps5f1imohq.jpg

I'm thrilled to find your review! We too switched from Carnival. After 3 cruises with them and one with Princess, everything just seemed the same. The same shows, the same events during the day etc. It just felt like all the cruise directors use the same jokes and nothing is that different from cruise to cruise.

Although we have had a good cruise, we are just bored with Carnival, So, this January we are going on NCL!

I can't wait to see more about how your cruise went!

I'm thrilled to find your review! We too switched from Carnival. After 3 cruises with them and one with Princess, everything just seemed the same. The same shows, the same events during the day etc. It just felt like all the cruise directors use the same jokes and nothing is that different from cruise to cruise.

Although we have had a good cruise, we are just bored with Carnival, So, this January we are going on NCL!

I can't wait to see more about how your cruise went!

Totally feel the same. While we never had a bad time on a Carnival cruise,w e found we were always having the 'same time' if that makes sense. The variety of dinners left something for everybody in our large group.

Hipefully can get some more up on the week tonight. Life is getting in the way... have to pay for our next cruise in 2017 on the Escape (booked today ):D

I'm in the same situation as many of the others here. I've been on several Carnival cruises and have my first Norweigan cruise booked on the Getaway this coming January. Partly because I want to try something new and partly because I'm also Canadian and there was a pretty good deal when I booked a few months ago.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review.

I'm in the same situation as many of the others here. I've been on several Carnival cruises and have my first Norweigan cruise booked on the Getaway this coming January. Partly because I want to try something new and partly because I'm also Canadian and there was a pretty good deal when I booked a few months ago.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review.

seems we are certainly not in the minority. Enjoy your cruise :)

Day 4 - Ocho Rios

The last time we were in Ocho Rios we had one of our most favorite port tours with Knowjamaica and a private driver. Having heard stories from others in our group on this tour about the hassles in the city we decided to do the same thing, but with a different company and different stops along the way. Doing some research on other reviews, and trip advisor we settled on Marvyn Gayle and his paradise tours for the day. The process was incredibly simple. We met somebody within the secure gates at the terminal, and were taxid up to our meeting point for free to meet our driver for the day, Orlando. Orlando met us with a smile on his face and a bottle of water each, and we were off for the day.

Unfortunately today was the day we would get lots of rain, but that was fine we were going to spend some time in the rainforest at the Blue Hole, and then see where the day took us. The drive to the Blue Hole was up first, Orlando knowing that other tours from Falmouth, and Montego Bay would be arriving brought us there first to avoid some congestion. The drive took about 30-40 minutes and Orlando gave us some history lessons and was very happy to talk about his country. I will say the drive up was a bit treacherous with old roads and a steady stream of tour cars to the Blue Hole.

Once there, Orlando set us up with a guide after paying the entry fee of 15 dollar per adult, and 10 per child and we were off. The Blue Hole even on a rainy day is a great place. I would say it is 'organized chaos' with multiple guides, in different groups taking you up to the top and a steady stream of jumps down to a rope swing. Josh wanted to do them all, and once our guide was comfortable that he could handle it let him do them all while keeping a watchful eye at all times. The guides were great, and safety was their main priority especially on a rainy slippery day. If you are going to stop at the Blue Hole, water shoes are a must. you can rent or buy outside, but just pack them away, well worth the investment.

We definitey beat the rush, thanks to Orlando, as when we left the area the buses were lined up, and parked at the bottom of a long hill. Definitely go hear first if it is a part of your day.

Once back in Orlando's car it was decided that we would go to a look out point to grab a drink and a quick snack (can't resist a local beef patty). We spotted Keith Richard's house way up top of the hill and got some great pics of the ship. The clouds opened back up again soon after letting the sun shine a bit rain was upon us and put a damper on the beach plans. With the beach put on the back burner we headed to Scotchies for some jerk chicken and rice / beans. If I was a food critic I would say they were a but overcooked, but I'm not and I am in Jamaica and totally enjoyed the hot sauce / spice combo. It was quite busy, but I am sure the rain had alot to do with that. Once finished we made the call to say goodbye to Orlando at the terminal and go back on board and meet up with our group.

It was a great day, and well worth the money if you are looking for something to do in Ocho Rios, would highly recommend. Heck over 1500 reviews on trip advisor with a 5 star rating can't be wrong, can it?

We did a little shopping with some of the vendors inside the secure area, and I can't stand being sold to (im in sales, and just get frustrated with the hard sell they give) so got frustrated early, got our little guy a painting and we headed back on board to see my step brothers aft balcony and grab a drink while sailing away.

Picture doesn't quite do it justice, the waters were fast

P4061505_zpspfwxeaas.jpg

organized chaos

P4061511_zpsrdhb8pn7.jpg

Our guide kept Josh safe the entire time

P4061519_zpswoybizcy.jpg

taking a break

P4061518_zpsgr5pzemw.jpg

Rain rain go away IMG_0503_zpspqsxleod.jpg

Thanks for a great day Orlando

20160406_152615_zpsrypzpyki.jpg

Day 4 Cont'd

Once we had started sail away, it was time to get ready for dinner. Tonight our group was separated for dinner with plans to meet for a couple cocktails at our usual spot at the Sugarcane Mojito Bar waterfront area. It would be a good time in the review to note the service at this bar, after our first night the waitress / bartender knew our orders and they were not of the mojito variety except for special nights :) This stood out because the drinks weren't your rum / coke but 4 different martinis each with different vodkas and combos of twists / neat / rocks etc. and Josh was always greeted with an OJ.

Tonight my half went to the early seating of Illusionarium, and the rest went to Teppanyaki. Prior to the cruise we reserved floor seating. Word to the wise, if you want to get good floor seating arrive early. I wish we had, not that our seats were bad, but for the upgrade cost they could have been better. We were in the last row to the right of the stage. Could still see everything but still a bit away. One blessing of this was that Josh got picked to go up on stage to start the show off.

Food at Illusionarium was exactly what we were expecting which was nothing earth shattering. The pork was cooked well and served nice and hot which suited us just fine. Tough when you have to serve that many people, but there was a bit of everything for all tastes. The desert was excellent.

As for the show, we are still scratching our heads at the mentalist, she literally pegged a guy from New Zealands drivers license number while blindfolded. All the other acts were well put together, and precise. We were all impressed with the whole show and how the acts tied into the overall story they were telling. Of course Josh loved it, and getting called up was the highlite... he is anything but shy :)

Of course with the show, we could not take pictures. I did try while Josh was on stage, but was told by a worker to put the phone down. :p

After the show we met up for a quick drink at howl at the moon, and did a little more exploring.

With another early morning and Grand Cayman up next we grabbed a night cap for the room and headed off to hit the hay.

As for Grand Cayman preps, if you want off the ship early book a tender via iConcierge or the TV system. I did this on the Monday and we were booked on the first tender off no problem for our entire group.

Back in a bit... as always, any questions let me know. :)

Enjoying your updates & photos, thanks.

Can I ask about the Illusionarium menu, you mention pork, I thought it was a set menu of beef & shrimp? Any info on alternatives and/or kids menu?

so sorry... you are totally correct it was beef. Getting my meals mixed lol. I'll fix it in the main body :)

They wouldn't offer alternatives, but the full kids menu was available. Josh had the chicken fingers this night and loved them. His usual go to was the burger. Not your kids sized burger thats for sure lol

so sorry... you are totally correct it was beef. Getting my meals mixed lol. I'll fix it in the main body :)

They wouldn't offer alternatives, but the full kids menu was available. Josh had the chicken fingers this night and loved them. His usual go to was the burger. Not your kids sized burger thats for sure lol

Thanks for the info, my dd is 13, doesn't eat shrimp and won't eat the beef unless it's plain and as far as I can make out it's served with a sauce/gravy so hoping she can order from the kids menu :cool: But, we are in the mindset of it being a show rather than about the food so we'll make it work (we'll visit the buffet later if needed).

Thanks again, looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip :)