Panoramic Ocean View for 5

We're just about to commit to a panoramic ocean view room on the Explorer for 5 of us on an Alaskan cruise. Never sailed RCI before. I know you should be able to sleep 5 in there, the question to those of you that have seen these rooms is should you? Want enough space so we're not stepping on each other just to get dressed.

We're just about to commit to a panoramic ocean view room on the Explorer for 5 of us on an Alaskan cruise. Never sailed RCI before. I know you should be able to sleep 5 in there, the question to those of you that have seen these rooms is should you? Want enough space so we're not stepping on each other just to get dressed.

That would depend on if three of the guests were kids or are all 5 adults. If all 5 were adults or teens I would seriously consider 2 rooms.

3 kids, 10,11,12. Trying to get an idea of size. We've only done 5 on a family veranda on Disney and it works out. But they also have the split bathroom so one can shower and leave the toilet free.

Website says this room sleeps 6.

Edited by NurseDave

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the only panoramics capable of sleeping 5 are the family panoramics which is bed, double sofa, bunk beds and 1 and half bath at around 400sq ft.

OP is that the category you are looking at?

Must be the family panoramic ocean view. If that's the case, then you have a bath and a half, sofa bed, bunk beds and the regular bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry only saw your response after I posted my comment. Agree with thinking on it being a family panoramic.

If the cabin number is 1804 or 1854, you'll be ok. These cabins are the size of a suite. If it is not one of these, you will be tripping over each other.

Edited by *CENSORED*

Sorry only saw your response after I posted my comment. Agree with thinking on it being a family panoramic.

No problem! I only know of this type cabin because we have one booked in May on Freedom.

Well, looks like we won't be going to Alaska with RCI. Called to clarify all this and found out it was an error on their website stating the occupancy of the room. Thank you for the responses though. Seems like Disney is the only has many rooms designed to fit 5.

Sorry to hear. They do have family suites, though they may get booked rather quickly. Also, did you check the price of 2 cabins? It could be cheaper. Definitely cheaper than a cabin on Disney!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by *CENSORED*

FOV 8200 and 8500 are also pretty spacious. But they only have 1 bathroom.

ETA

I just saw your update. All of the Family cabins are booked? How far off is the cruise you were looking at ?

Edited by dcgrumpy

I'm surprised royal would even ALLOW 5 adults to a room!

there are a couple cabins on some ships that are not high end suites that do accommodate 5+ pax. usually classified as Family something or other( Interiors, OVs, etc)

they tend to be booked as soon as the itinerary is released. and there are not many over all.

Nurse dave: have you considered a pair of connecting cabins or even a Balcony for you with an inside across the hall for the kids? the Promenade view cabins that connect are pretty nice. and often no more expensive( or less so) than booking a s category that permits 5+

Probably doesn't help OP since it sounds like her ship doesn't have the FAMILY PANORAMIC ROOMS [FP]

We had this on the Liberty last week. It is a LARGE room with 2 bathrooms [only 1 shower]; tons of storage; a bed that could be king/queen or 2 twins; sofa bed and a separate bunk area with its own closet and shelves....

We loved it. Had 3 teens so basically 5 adults.

26390284715_d82c849a64_z.jpg

26297938242_c2e422f293_z.jpg

26364385786_145e30b97f_z.jpg

26324077711_dea20ae71c_z.jpg

26324081011_19fba02975_z.jpg

26364695846_00145d9e2c_z.jpg

there are a couple cabins on some ships that are not high end suites that do accommodate 5+ pax. usually classified as Family something or other( Interiors, OVs, etc)

they tend to be booked as soon as the itinerary is released. and there are not many over all.

Nurse dave: have you considered a pair of connecting cabins or even a Balcony for you with an inside across the hall for the kids? the Promenade view cabins that connect are pretty nice. and often no more expensive( or less so) than booking a s category that permits 5+

I must be lucky then, because that hasn't been my experience. On my last 2 cruises I booked 6-10 months after the dates were released. When I called to book every single FOV was still available, so I was able to get my favorite.

Actually though now that I think about, I was booking Freedom Class ships which have more Family rooms the Voyagher class. I think Explorer only has 10 FOV rooms.

Edited by dcgrumpy

Probably doesn't help OP since it sounds like her ship doesn't have the FAMILY PANORAMIC ROOMS [FP]

We had this on the Liberty last week. It is a LARGE room with 2 bathrooms [only 1 shower]; tons of storage; a bed that could be king/queen or 2 twins; sofa bed and a separate bunk area with its own closet and shelves....

We loved it. Had 3 teens so basically 5 adults.

Explorer does have 2 Family Panoramic rooms. I'm guessing they were already booked.

Whew update. Yes, we priced two rooms and thought with Alaska you would for sure want something with large window or veranda. 2 connecting veranda rooms were $11k, as opposed to one larger veranda on Disney for $15k. Yes, cheaper, but still more than we were looking.

Long story short, after booking a Caribbean cruise this morning I got a call back about my internet hold and after half an hour they were able to find a one family panorama room left on an Alaska cruise just a week later. So whew! We're set, but the RCI website did NOT make it easy.

Whew update. Yes, we priced two rooms and thought with Alaska you would for sure want something with large window or veranda. 2 connecting veranda rooms were $11k, as opposed to one larger veranda on Disney for $15k. Yes, cheaper, but still more than we were looking.

Long story short, after booking a Caribbean cruise this morning I got a call back about my internet hold and after half an hour they were able to find a one family panorama room left on an Alaska cruise just a week later. So whew! We're set, but the RCI website did NOT make it easy.

Great news!

Unfortunately you can't price or book family rooms online. It's a big PITA when you're trying to compare different cruises.

We have not stayed in the panoramic family cabins (yet). We have one booked for next March and are thrilled beyond belief to have one booked on the Freedom next year. We sailed her last month and I was lucky enough to meet the people staying in the cabin we have booked for next year. They invited me in for a viewing of the cabin. WOW!!!! I had never seen a view like that before.

If you have not been in one of these cabins before, even though the photos posted look amazing, they cannot do the cabins justice. You will be so happy that you have booked the panoramic at the front of the ship for an Alaska sailing. I do not think there could be any better cabin for an Alaska sailing than you have booked.

I am not sure about the space on the Explorer (I think the cabin is a little smaller than on the Freedom class and only has a single washroom, compared to 1 1/2 washrooms on the Freedom class family panoramic cabins). The one on the Freedom had plenty of space for 5 people. We will have 6 in it next year and I am not concerned. As for washrooms if you need one in an emergency, there are two very close by the staircases and there is also access to much larger showers in the spa, which is right beside your cabin basically.