Flying Fish

BigTimeCruiser

One our current cruise on the Sun Princess, several people have asked why they haven't seen any of the flying fish that other passengers have mentioned. IMO, it's probably the location where they are trying to look for the fish. Here is how to see them. Get a location that is near the bow wake forward on the ship. We have a room on the Riveria Deck, but the Promenade Deck will work as well. Look in the area just ahead of the bow wake and you can see flying fish jump out of the water and fly away from the ship at about 1 foot above the surface. They will usually fly for a distance of 50 to 300 feet. The fish in the Caribbean appear to be a silver color.

A friend who just returned from visiting relatives in Barbados mentioned that she had flying fish for several meals both in their home and in restaurants. She had it prepared in several styles and declared it to be one of the best eating fish she's ever had.

have any of you tried it and can you compare it to some other type of fish?

We once saw a fast food restaurant in Barbados that was advertising flying fish, I saved a brochure that had the advertisement in it, because it was so different.

Sorry I can't help you out about what it tastes like. I wasn't interested in eating anything after having such wonderful meals on the ship!

That's one of the nice things about cruising and getting to see so many different cultures and cuisines...

A friend who just returned from visiting relatives in Barbados mentioned that she had flying fish for several meals both in their home and in restaurants. She had it prepared in several styles and declared it to be one of the best eating fish she's ever had.

have any of you tried it and can you compare it to some other type of fish?

just recently off the sun princess and while doing our catamaran ride in Barbados they served fried flying fish. They called it a local fish bc some people were leary about trying it. I had it b/c well i like to try new things and it was really yummy, had they not said it was fish i would have never had known.

It had the texture of a thin pork chop. The taste was very unique, not quite chicken, not quite pork. Yummy all the same! Can't really compare it to any other type of fish i have eaten (which is a lot, grew up on the coast), it just doesnt taste like fish.

If you happen to have a chance to eat some, just be the big brave dog and eat it!

Thanks for this post!!! My husband always starts this subject at dinner with dinner mates and I think they think he is crazy. We had one dinner mate notice but she was blonde and asked if the interior cabins had to share a bathroom!!!!! I emailed him this post and I am sure he will appreciate it!!!

On our first cruise, my husband kept swearing that he was seeing "flying fish" from our balcony. I kept looking for them, never saw them, and finally decided that he was either pulling my leg, or the combination of the seasickness patch and the alcohol was making him hallucinate. LOL

On our first cruise, my husband kept swearing that he was seeing "flying fish" from our balcony. I kept looking for them, never saw them, and finally decided that he was either pulling my leg, or the combination of the seasickness patch and the alcohol was making him hallucinate. LOL

They are so much fun to watch while sitting on your balcony with a glass of wine or two. Everytime I see them and tell DH, he comes out to the balcony and, of course, they are no where to be seen.:D Then he tells me I have probably had one glass of wine too many :)

You will find flying fish on the menu on the Carib. Princess - It is listed as coo-coo and DW and I have had it on 3 different occasions. I am at a loss to try to explain what it tastes like but it is a firm, tender, and very tasty fish. We happen to like fish so may be somewhat biased. Try it - if you dont like it - order something else! Like they say -- No problem Mon!!

Curt -- what are you doing in Sept/Oct. 06?

normally we see some sting rays and dolphins as well.

In fact, just last week on the Coral when through a big pod of Dolphins they played in the waves from the ship for over an hour. We didn't get to see them until almost the end of it though as we didn't know they were there until we were just about through them.

There was even a baby with an adult - it was just incredible to see!!!

It had the texture of a thin pork chop. The taste was very unique, not quite chicken, not quite pork. Yummy all the same! Can't really compare it to any other type of fish i have eaten (which is a lot, grew up on the coast), it just doesnt taste like fish.

If you happen to have a chance to eat some, just be the big brave dog and eat it!

I sure as heck will. I love fish and rarely try one I don't enjoy (unless they're too bland or too oily). When I did a scuba trip to Belize the dive instructor suggested that I try barracuda when I asked for suggestions. It's delicious! What a shame that I can't get it where I live.

Archived