Freedom review, vs Carnival, Voom and excursions

Sailed April 10-17 on FOS, first RC, 5th cruise. I spent days on CC deciding on excursions,ship, etc.. We are all looking for different experiences so that's why I am writing this. Traveled with my 16 DD - we actually got along great, lol. I will review ports and excursions I purchased (some RC, others at port) as I can while I'm working to pay for this trip.:)

traveled from SC to Titusville and stayed at Hampton Inn to get the 40% off for port Parking. Hotel was nice and right off the interstate. There were about 3 others hotels right there. We checked in and drove to Cocoa Beach for dinner and Ron Jons. very easy -

left the hotel at 10:00am Sunday, had luggage to porter by 10:35 and were on ship by 11:00 - this was soooo easy. we never waited in line, everything just moved along. We were at the adult pool with swimsuits on and drink by 11:30. I didn't even care at the point when our luggage would get the room. The pool had tons of chairs and met great people. The adult pool is fantastic. bar stools and "bar" to sit at in shade, shallow shelf to just sit and cool off and read.

I paid for Voom ahead of time, and there was a password paper with my sail card. had my daughter enter into both of our phones - MEMORIZE this number because you will enter it no less than 50 times during the week. It says it will log you out after 2 hours of inactivity. It logged me out during usage. I have an iphone 5S and my DD has a 6. it worked better on her phone, she would stream videos in our cabin while getting ready for dinner but it didn't work to keep in touch by imessage, it logged off too much. Didn't work in dining room deck 4. I had to work hard to log in, shutting off phone, forgetting network, etc... but it was worth to have it. She was happy. she had much more patience to keep logging in.

Our room was 7707 (interior) - I do believe the smallest room on the ship. I booked 30 days out and let the room be picked. The bathroom is tiny. ( I have been on Carnival Dream twice, inside room, 2 people and our room was huge. We had one wall that was a closet with shelves, drawers and the bathroom was nice size.)There was no way to even bend over to shave your legs. Spoke to many people who had balcony's and they said their shower was also tiny. One man said if he dropped the soap, it was all over!!

I had requested online the beds be separated, was told the first day she would get to it the next day. on the right side you had to climb over desk to get to the side of bed. The drawers in the desk were way to small to put clothes so we lived out of our suitcases for 7 days. bring hangers too.

The bathroom is old and there were hairs in the medicine cabinet. I was very disappointed in our room.

room was ready by 1:30 and we had luggage around 4:00.

IMG_2407.jpg.a636bf71cb944187ab85407e7cb5e5fb.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg.7f042bae95dcacfb5672f7002b587595.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg.5bc5c86248237e5691709d30b20789f6.jpg

Thanks for doing the review. First RCI cruise here (this Sunday) and am interested in your view of RCI versus Carnival.

We have many people that are asking us for our thoughts after our cruise as well.

The bathroom is old and there were hairs in the medicine cabinet. I was very disappointed in our room.

you didn't have a couch in the cabin? Also, once the beds were seperated it was easier to get in the bed correct?

My MIL & her sister are coming along and they have cabin 7703.. now I am worried!

BTW, you can use the big showers in the spa for free..

you didn't have a couch in the cabin? Also, once the beds were seperated it was easier to get in the bed correct?

My MIL & her sister are coming along and they have cabin 7703.. now I am worried!

There was a chair and small oval glass top table that just made the room smaller.

taking my stuff to the spa would not be an option for me, especially after paying what I did for this room. That would have felt strange dragging all my stuff.

Edited by Moonlighting

We spent the day at the adult pool laying out and meeting people - my DD kept asking where is the food? We didn't look when we first got on board, I assumed like Carnival there would be all kinds of places out by the pool to grab food. by the time she talked me into looking, Windjammer was closed!!! and we had 8:00 dining. We were told to go to deck 5 for the "free options" The people working at the pizza place aren't real nice. I asked for a salad and she gave me lettuce on a small plate, only salad dressings is V&O. Pizza was bad, I LOVE pizza and will eat almost any - and we never went back after this first day.

So I had to take her to Johnny Rockets and pay for a burger and fries the first day on board. I took pic's of what the offerings are for free on deck 5 for 4500 people.

My favorite part of sea days is being in my suit and grabbing pizza, a sandwich, fries. You have to be dressed to enter windjammer and it would be strange to go from deck 11 to 5 and get munchies while swimming, etc... its like going to mall on deck 5.

IMG_3227.jpg.52e43f8684d650e4e4cc8c87f3f3e574.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg.cb10a11455e17d71abe6b9efcf3ffaa4.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg.6c1211ac396b649cc2412d4e4e2b06a3.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg.4f037207e1d0b7df053fa0995594e981.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg.65164e0af13ff4a9474f91b64593d36d.jpg

Edited by Moonlighting

you didn't have a couch in the cabin? Also, once the beds were seperated it was easier to get in the bed correct? YES, much better

There was a chair and small oval glass top table that just made the room smaller.

taking my stuff to the spa would not be an option for me, especially after paying what I did for this room. That would have felt strange dragging all my stuff.

I have to say this is one of my favorite parts also on Disney! Is there really no food by the pool outside?

"My favorite part of sea days is being in my suit and grabbing pizza, a sandwich, fries. You have to be dressed to enter windjammer and it would be strange to go from deck 11 to 5 and get munchies while swimming, etc... its like going to mall on deck 5."

I have to say this is one of my favorite parts also on Disney! Is there really no food by the pool outside?

"My favorite part of sea days is being in my suit and grabbing pizza, a sandwich, fries. You have to be dressed to enter windjammer and it would be strange to go from deck 11 to 5 and get munchies while swimming, etc... its like going to mall on deck 5."

There is no permanent food venue near the pool. However, they may set up a poolside BBQ and/or buffet from time to time.

Nope!!! I never read this on any review and it was big deal for us. I saw a very small buffet of hot dogs and burgers one time. The sea day we went to windjammer and I had on my coverup and my daugther had on her swimsuit and her towel with her and they said she couldn't come in like that. They finally conceded she could wrap it around her but it has to stay on, she couldn't maneuver plate, drink and towel :(

Sea Day -

I love Sea Days because I love just seeing water everywhere. the one thing different from Carnival is I didn't have a problem getting a chair. We did sit on top deck though, it was crowded by the main pool and around the adult pool.

Finally had time to look at the compass to plan our evening. I choose 8:00 dining on our cruise so that we can hang out at the pool all day, but something I discovered if we wanted to go to the show each night, we would have to go at 6:30 if we wanted to eat in the dining room. That pretty much defeats having 8:00 dining. On Carnival we could hit family comedy before dinner if we were ready on time, have dinner and then attend the late show.

Another bummer - no comedy club

We decided to enjoy the pool deck and miss the show so we could see the people at our dining table (really nice people)

I have to say the menu was just soso. Our service was great and so is the bread, but I didn't eat anything all week that I wanted more of. The same with desserts. My daughter did get the lemon meringue and I wish I would have. It never showed up on the menu again.

day 2 Compass.pdf

day 2 Compass 1.pdf

We were in Labadee from 8-4. We were off by 8:30. Days before we left I saw reviews about Amiga Island excursion and I wanted to snorkel at each port if possible and all reviews said from the beach would not be good so I booked it. We would leave at 1:00.

From all my reading, it said to go to Columbus Cove. There were shuttles running but we decided to walk. (only took 5 minutes maybe, there is also a boat shuttle)

Right before getting to Columbus Cove is the market. Before you can even get there vendors are approaching you trying to walk you to their booth. I have no problem walking on and saying no thank you. Its hard to look because they will stand right with you asking what you are looking for. I would love to go and give them a marketing lesson - most every booth has the same merchandise, just arranging differently. They could sell so much more if there was a variety. We wanted tshirts, hand painted, and found some tucked in the back of a booth. 2 for $20 and they are gorgeous but the sizes were crazy. a stack of kids, then a stack for adults for but 2XL, 3XL. I found one XL and my daughter who is tiny got a 2 XL just because it was so pretty. She was freaked out about how aggressive they were but we continued to look at it all.

Columbus cove is beautiful. Haiti was the prettiest port, the mountains and beach were breathtaking. We decided to take our stuff back to the ship and eat lunch in Windjammer instead of the buffet on port and be ready for our excursion.

There were about 30 of us on the 20-minute boat ride to the island. I felt like I was on survivor but with drinks, lol. I asked if there would be floats and they promised me yes, but there were not enough for everyone.

We were given very watered down rum punch after arriving. There are chairs in the shade and sun and a bar, table and chairs in the shade with a nice breeze. The men were very kind. Beer was $5, soda $3 and snacks $2 - all cash.

One of the men took a group snorkeling. The water was pretty rough and we only saw grassy stuff, no fish.

After about an hour another boat showed up with Sandbar Island written on it. The people hung in the water on floats, they had music and drinks. We floated over to see what excursion they were on. They said they had booked Sandbar Island but because of the storm the previous night, the sandbar wasn't there and Amiga is plan B, but they were told not to go past the roped off area where we were.

This a very relaxing place. When it came time to leave they did a head count on the boat and realized 2 people were missing. They were in the ocean snorkeling. Took about 15 minutes to round them up. Found out they weren't on our ship, staying in a hotel behind our port.

The boat booked it back, we were one of the last to get back on the ship.

Tried to go skating once we were back on board and was told it was closed. I asked when is free skate and the door person said she had no idea :( to watch the compass.

I was determined to see a show so we got ready and went to see Drew Thomas magic, this was fantastic, don't miss it.

IMG_2737.jpg.0f64ee684488562945ea2222f4a34d4e.jpg

day 3 Compass.pdf

day 3 Compass 1.pdf

We sailed Freedom on Valentine's Day. Found RCI skimpy on staff; 2 servers in MDR versus 3 servers on Carnival Sunshine (June 2015); towel animals 3 nights out of 7 and 7 nights out of 7 on Carnival; not enough staff picking up dirty dishes from tables in buffet, Sorrento's, and Cafe Promenade; one night no entertainment; lack of food available outside by the pool (except ice cream) - Carnival has pizza, Mexican Blue Iguana, and Guy's burgers on pool deck. Meals were good but not memorable. Linen carts and vacuum left in hallway throughout the cruise. I thought RCI was upscale from Carnival -- not in my book. Sailed 4 times on Carnival & always satisfied; we're going back to The Fun Ships of Carnival.

We sailed Freedom on Valentine's Day. Found RCI skimpy on staff; 2 servers in MDR versus 3 servers on Carnival Sunshine (June 2015); towel animals 3 nights out of 7 and 7 nights out of 7 on Carnival; not enough staff picking up dirty dishes from tables in buffet, Sorrento's, and Cafe Promenade; one night no entertainment; lack of food available outside by the pool (except ice cream) - Carnival has pizza, Mexican Blue Iguana, and Guy's burgers on pool deck. Meals were good but not memorable. Linen carts and vacuum left in hallway throughout the cruise. I thought RCI was upscale from Carnival -- not in my book. Sailed 4 times on Carnival & always satisfied; we're going back to The Fun Ships of Carnival.

I agree - my dd was where is the chocolate on the pillow and the towel animals. We got 2 animals.

Edited by Moonlighting

Jamicia is easy on and off port. I booked us Red Stripe Beach for the day through RC. Went on a bus (met at the end of the port). BTW the tickets were in our cabin the first night for the things I booked off the ship. (We almost didn't see them because my DD had her makeup bad cover the desk. )

Decided to shop once we got back since were in port till 6:30 and Red Stripe closed at 5:00.

Not much to look at on way there as others have said, but its a nice beach area. Chairs $10, floats $10. They set everything up for you and hang around if you need anything. I did need my water shoes because I walked left as far as I could without disappearing from sight to look in the water with my camera. The sea life was right there and I took awesome pics. I was able to dig up a pretty large anemone shell, but broke it before we left. I forgot to mention I took some small conch shell from amiga island and they were taken at security. Said I had to paid for them, not pick them up from the beach :(

The jerk chicken was chewy and my DD wouldn't eat the hot dog because it was pink inside.

It was a nice relaxing place in the shade, and the roped off water part was also nice.

You have to try the Jamaican patty in the port $3 (beef and cheese), we had our hair braided, bought t-shirts, rum ( I paid too much, I wasn't experienced enough to know what I was buying). Found margaritaville at the end of the day, they have a pool right in port - its small but I'm sure people had fun hanging out there. I think good shopping at this port.

We stayed in port the entire day (10-7) so this means no show and dinner so we went to dining.

IMG_2941.jpg.ec0ff0c3cf75e213bd503d76b041c7ae.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg.09882b64dc25d96a92c7a45888deb2e1.jpg

day 4 Compass.pdf

day 4 Compass 1.pdf

menu.jpg.54851f16572e1456acffbdbd1ca83a7b.jpg

1081306773_redstripebuildking.jpg.ce2b3207dab9bed5e5d9bf46b714d718.jpg

Short port day 8-4 so we were up and in line for the tender at 7:45. From all my reading I feel confident we could just get in port, book a trip, or walk to the beach and snorkel, take the bus, etc....

for me this wasnt the case. There were all theses people in bright green shirts asking if you had something booked, if I went to the tables and booths of people I was told you had to book these ahead of time, or there weren't 2 spots left. The green shirts really hassle. I told one of them I had already booked (lie) to get them to leave me alone. They said with who and I said I couldn't remember the name of the place. I had researched and assumed I could just find right in the port and book. I decided to walk outside the gates and ask these people holding up signs what was the difference in them and the ones inside, he said they are approved by the port authority. so I went back in. :/

There was a free standing booth with shore excursions written on it. I approached and asked if I could book stingray city. she said no, that the people in green shirts have the only right inside the port area, that she could only sell jet ski's or take an exsisting reservation I had made on line. I told her that I had told the green shirts I had a reservation but couldn't remember who with - She said they are watching me and I can't sell - but I told her I told them I had already booked, so she called over her manager and he said he had room for 2 more, so she said come to my side window and I will act like I am pulling out your reservation. Once i moved to the other window a green shirt approached and said "did you find your reservation" and I said yes.

I paid $75 for two to Stingray City and a second stop to snorkel. We would leave in 2 hours their time and be back 230 their time - that was cutting it close because we were told to be on the last tender by 3:15 but I did it!!!

MY DD wanted to see the island so we walked to the bus stop and asked if we could just take a ride to see stuff. He said yes, he would take us the local route . my DD pointed out we were really just picking up locals and taking them to work and riding along. ( This took about 45-1 hour and I was stressing we werent going to get back to the meeting place in time. ) I have my $5 dollars but $3 tip ready when we got off. he told me I owed him $10 and I said why, and he said because we went "there and back" I have no idea where we went so I gave him $10 :)

My DD was hungry and so she bought a $8 dairy queen freeze, I bought us two sodas and doritios for $11, yikes. Were told our dollar isn't worth as much in Cayman.

We had been told there were 20 on this boat trip - got back to meeting place and it was one couple. He put us on a bus and off we went. We stopped at a hotel but he came out with no one. he made a call and it sounded they like cancelled. We were starting to think it would be just 4 of us. after about a 20 minute bus ride we entered Cayman Island Yacht Club - there was a person waiting for us and about 15 already on the boat. So off we went. I was dying for a beer at the point and two couple were drinking. I asked where they got the beer and they said they brought it ( I was told when I paid no beer allowed). They were super nice and shared with me!!

We took about a 30 minute boat ride to Stingray city. There were already about 7-8 boats there and lots of people. Our captain backed up into an area and the photographer threw out the anchor - and the captain backed up more and got the anchor rope all tangled up in the propeller - so now we can see people with stingrays but too far to jump in a swim there, so the next 20-30 minutes the helper swam down with a knife to cut the rope off. Time for another beer!!!!

FINALLY he gets us a spot and we are with the stingrays. The was the most terrifying and fun thing I have ever done.

He didn't hurry us even with the boat issues - we had plenty of time.

Then took us to a reef to snorkle. Didn't see tons of fish, but it was still really nice.

The boat ride seemed like it took forever to get back because we were getting close on time, for some reason I was comforted there were others on this excursion from our ship - Carnival people were also with us but they were leaving later.

we got back with 15 minutes to spare, very close, the bus driver said he heard we had some issues.

The boat we were was Rowan Watersports. I think that was so cheap for what we got, but I suggest book ahead!!!!

day 5 Compass.pdf

swimming.jpg.cc41486d274b00418c11b9abdea55d5e.jpg

day 5 Compass 1.pdf

stingray.jpg.1c9c5249c116f923729a8f9b2ebf0f97.jpg

1067369881_caymanreef.jpg.a03c777ee284b8a4d952a0d94670dd0d.jpg