Niew Amsterdam vs Volendam??

dreamer320

We're looking at an Alaska cruise in 2017, roundtrip Vancouver. So the choices are either the NA or the Volendam. Other HAL ships we've cruised on were the Ryndam (Caribbean) and Rotterdam (Alaska). We liked the size of those ships, so at first glance the Volendam seems like a better choice.

But we prefer a verandah, and the prices on the V'dam are significantly more, since the same types of cabin aren't on both.

There are a couple other considerations which are minor, but when taking all things together, may make a difference. Food - we only eat in the Lido, and frankly, I have trouble finding things I like for dinner (very picky eater). Breakfast and lunch are okay. The NA has pizza, which is a positive for me. Also, the V'dam leaves on a Wednesday - how big of a factor is on mid-week start when it comes to other ships in port?

Appreciate any insight those with experience on both can give! Thanks.

We're looking at an Alaska cruise in 2017, roundtrip Vancouver. So the choices are either the NA or the Volendam. Other HAL ships we've cruised on were the Ryndam (Caribbean) and Rotterdam (Alaska). We liked the size of those ships, so at first glance the Volendam seems like a better choice.

But we prefer a verandah, and the prices on the V'dam are significantly more, since the same types of cabin aren't on both.

There are a couple other considerations which are minor, but when taking all things together, may make a difference. Food - we only eat in the Lido, and frankly, I have trouble finding things I like for dinner (very picky eater). Breakfast and lunch are okay. The NA has pizza, which is a positive for me. Also, the V'dam leaves on a Wednesday - how big of a factor is on mid-week start when it comes to other ships in port?

Appreciate any insight those with experience on both can give! Thanks.

You're right that Volendam is closer to the size you've done in the past but there will be more variety in the Lido on Nieuw Amsterdam including the pizza station. Nieuw Amsterdam is an amazing ship and between the 2, although Volendam is special as it was the ship I took my first cruise on, I would pick Nieuw Amsterdam every time.

Yes the Volendam does leave in the middle of the week. This means there are fewer ships when you visit the ports on the weekend.

Nieuw Amsterdam would be choice -- JMO. We have sailed on her quite a bit. She is newer than the Volendam.

Now I know you said that you prefer to eat in the Lido but one specialty restaurant that the Nieuw Amsterdam has that the Volendam doesn't have is the Tamarind. You may want to try it.

Only you can decide which ship you think you may like better.

You already know the size of the Volendam is something you like. The Nieuw Amsterdam is significantly larger, but has a lot less sheltered outside deck space from which to enjoy that gorgeous Alaska scenery.

Last time I was on her, the Volendam also had pizza, although I don't know how the hours compare to those on the NA.

The Wednesday embarkation day for the Volendam means you are sharing ports with fewer passengers from other ships (as well as your own) than the NA sailing has. Some of those stops get pretty crowded!

You are also sharing the airport with fewer people when it comes time to leave.

Personally, I would be choosing the Volendam, partly because of the Wednesday sail day, but mostly because I just like the ship so much more.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is significantly larger, but has a lot less sheltered outside deck space from which to enjoy that gorgeous Alaska scenery.

They both have a wrap around promenade deck that for all intents and purposes is the same. What does the Volendam have in addition to this? Nieuw Amsterdam has large areas on the aft pool that are also covered (closer to the bar and pizza outlets... What else does Volendam have? :confused:

Last time I was on her, the Volendam also had pizza, although I don't know how the hours compare to those on the NA.

Volendam has regular pizzas that are in the "italian station" of the lido. As they serve numerous other items as wellpizzas may be limited. Nieuw Amsterdam has a purpose built pizza station on the aft pool area so they will have more variety. Almost positive the hours are longer AND I think (may be wrong though) they have converted already to the new NY Pizza concept. If so, they will also have salads, desserts, etc there

See above in red

See above in red

The Volendam has sheltered decks across the stern. It also has some sheltered space in the open area of the Lido Deck, which the Nieuw Amsterdam does not. It's sheltered area is not in the open space.

The Volendam has sheltered decks across the stern. It also has some sheltered space in the open area of the Lido Deck, which the Nieuw Amsterdam does not. It's sheltered area is not in the open space.

I see your aft spaces on decks 2 and 7 of Volendam and raise you the forward viewing areas on decks 6 and 7 on Nieuw Amsterdam. And if we count the promenade deck Nieiw Amsterdam has more. Not only because of a larger ship but because of the lanai rooms

I'm surprised that pizza is the issue. To me 1400 vs 2200 would be my primary concern. If you wish a balcony cabin...NA is the way to go. The Volendam has far fewer.

David

As I said, it's not THE issue, but it's a minor issue that may make a difference when weighed with everything else. Ship size and day of the week in port are the biggies, so I'm glad to see some responses re: those things.

Thanks for the responses, appreciate the thoughts. Am leaning toward the Volendam, today anyway. Oh, and Krazy Kruiser, the Tamarind isn't a plus for me, as I don't like that cuisine at all! (Have I mentioned that I'm picky? lol)