Best cruise for my mother-in-law

berrytarte

I certainly understand that! There's a reason we've managed to vacation without her so far. She doesn't believe in dancing (her church doesn't allow it) and that's proving to be a big barrier in choosing a cruise.

She even objects if others dance?

Even if she doesn't see it?

I know a lot of people who don't believe in dancing for religious reasons, but going on a cruise wouldn't bother them at all.

Same as they don't drink, but are happy to go to a restaurant where others may have a drink or four.

Does your $1500 budget include your airfare to the port of departure? If so, your budget isn't going to go very far seeing you'll be paying 4 fares, including the single supplement for her solo cabin. In all likelihood, you may be looking at inside cabins.

In your original post you said your MIL doesn't like to be around people who drink, and she doesn't like dancing. To be frank, if that is the case, I don't think she'd be happy on a cruise. People drink alcohol day and night, they drink at all meals, yes, even bloody Mary's at breakfast, at the pool, in all the clubs. And on some of those shorter 3-5 day cruises, drinking can be pretty rampant as cruisers try and shove 7 days of cruising into a shorter cruise.

You need to discuss all of this with her, and be honest that this will not be alcohol free. Being a vegetarian is definitely not a problem, as cruise lines are very good at providing vegan/vegetarian options. But there will be lots of drinking and dancing on every ship.

Since you said West Coast. Checked the fares for Thanksgiving Weekend 3day in Carnival. Ocean View Early Saver. Cabin is approx $860 for two, slightly lower for one. That put you over your $1500 budget. Inside cabins were t much lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does your $1500 budget include your airfare to the port of departure? If so, your budget isn't going to go very far seeing you'll be paying 4 fares, including the single supplement for her solo cabin. In all likelihood, you may be looking at inside cabins.

In your original post you said your MIL doesn't like to be around people who drink, and she doesn't like dancing. To be frank, if that is the case, I don't think she'd be happy on a cruise. People drink alcohol day and night, they drink at all meals, yes, even bloody Mary's at breakfast, at the pool, in all the clubs. And on some of those shorter 3-5 day cruises, drinking can be pretty rampant as cruisers try and shove 7 days of cruising into a shorter cruise.

You need to discuss all of this with her, and be honest that this will not be alcohol free. Being a vegetarian is definitely not a problem, as cruise lines are very good at providing vegan/vegetarian options. But there will be lots of drinking and dancing on every ship.

Our budget doesn't include airfare, since we're likely to use miles for any plane tickets. After looking at pricing and all of the fun options for Caribbean cruises, I'm thinking we need to bump up our budget or plan on doing a cruise next Thanksgiving (we already have quite a lot of travel planned his year already).

I appreciate your advice to talk to my MIL directly about this. I envisioned surprising her with the trip (she loves surprises), but I'm starting to think we should talk sure this is a good fit and she knows what she's getting into.

She even objects if others dance?

Even if she doesn't see it?

I know a lot of people who don't believe in dancing for religious reasons, but going on a cruise wouldn't bother them at all.

Same as they don't drink, but are happy to go to a restaurant where others may have a drink or four.

I'm honestly not sure how she'd react. She had friends in her church who go on cruises regularly, so in theory I'm hoping she'd be fine. It's good to hear your experience with others, that gives me hope.

She used to be fairly relaxed about it, for example we'd eat out at pubs with her. And we definitely danced in front of her at our wedding. But she's become much more strict recently...last Thanksgiving she left the table when some guests had a glass of wine at dinner and she refused a recent trip to see a relative in a school musical (Annie) because she disapproved of the dancing. Reading this, I know she sounds like a terror! She's really not, she's just had a lot of changes in her life recently, and is still adjusting I think.

I'm honestly not sure how she'd react. She had friends in her church who go on cruises regularly, so in theory I'm hoping she'd be fine. It's good to hear your experience with others, that gives me hope.

She used to be fairly relaxed about it, for example we'd eat out at pubs with her. And we definitely danced in front of her at our wedding. But she's become much more strict recently...last Thanksgiving she left the table when some guests had a glass of wine at dinner and she refused a recent trip to see a relative in a school musical (Annie) because she disapproved of the dancing. Reading this, I know she sounds like a terror! She's really not, she's just had a lot of changes in her life recently, and is still adjusting I think.

Actually doesn't sound like a terror at all, just a lady of strong beliefs, which I admire whether I agree with the particular belief or not.

Reporting back with an epilogue: had a good family chat with my MIL and we're planning on a (non-cruise) trip to British Columbia for Thanksgiving this year and taking her on a cruise for Mother's Day in May/June 2017 on HAL, Celebrity or Princess. Thanks to everyone for steering me in the right direction.

I would recommend Celebrity Solstice class or Holland America cruises, and preferably 7 nights. 4 or 5 day cruises seem like you just got there, got used to the ship and you are packing to go home. Definitely stay away from Carnival! It is the party cruise line and has a lot of young families with lots of noisy kids. Husband and I are in our 70's and have taken at least 50 cruises. We have tries many of the other lines and were disappointed. You will be treated like royalty on Celebrity or Holland America. Good luck and have fun on whatever you choose to do with MIL.