Best cruise for my mother-in-law

berrytarte

My wife and I are considering taking my MIL on a cruise for Thanksgiving this year. We're in our early 40s and she's in her late 70s. Our Thanksgivings together are often stressful , so my thinking is this would be a way to avoid cooking or anyone worrying about money spent at restaurants because it's all paid for in advance!

I'd love some advice on what type of itinerary or cruise line might be a good fit for mom. Or advice on holiday cruises in general. She doesn't drink, and doesn't really like it when others are publicly drunk (or honestly, if people drink around her). She's a strict vegetarian but not squeamish about meat being around. She loves games, meeting new people, and a quiet nook with a book. She likes the beach, and gets nervous in cities. She considers anything with more than 25,000 people a city, btw. In contrast, my wife and I love big cities, cocktails, and in my case, eating plenty of meat.

So...any advice? All of her friends have been on cruises and she never has so I'd really love to do this for her. We're in California, but could definitely travel to another port. I've been looking at 3-5 day Carnival, Princess, and Disney cruises to Mexico but I'm not sure how she's do in those ports.

3 - 4 day cruises tend to attract the Boozers -- especially on Carnival.

Many 7 day holiday cruises tend to attract families. Is MIL fond of a lot of children running around? Disney cruises also have a lot of children on them.

Try to find a 10 day cruise -- many out of Florida.

Check out Celebrity -- maybe even Crystal.

My wife and I are considering taking my MIL on a cruise for Thanksgiving this year. We're in our early 40s and she's in her late 70s. Our Thanksgivings together are often stressful , so my thinking is this would be a way to avoid cooking or anyone worrying about money spent at restaurants because it's all paid for in advance!

I'd love some advice on what type of itinerary or cruise line might be a good fit for mom. Or advice on holiday cruises in general. She doesn't drink, and doesn't really like it when others are publicly drunk (or honestly, if people drink around her). She's a strict vegetarian but not squeamish about meat being around. She loves games, meeting new people, and a quiet nook with a book. She likes the beach, and gets nervous in cities. She considers anything with more than 25,000 people a city, btw. In contrast, my wife and I love big cities, cocktails, and in my case, eating plenty of meat.

So...any advice? All of her friends have been on cruises and she never has so I'd really love to do this for her. We're in California, but could definitely travel to another port. I've been looking at 3-5 day Carnival, Princess, and Disney cruises to Mexico but I'm not sure how she's do in those ports.

I think you should stick to a 4 -5 night cruise for your MIL's first time. We had planned to take my MIL and we would have chosen RCL 4-5 night or even a 7 night Alaska cruise. In all our years of cruising on RCL we have never run into a "boozer" group.

Naturally over Thanksgiving there will be more families onboard but we were on the Independence at Easter and even though over 25% of the passengers were under 21, the young ones were not boisterous or any problem at all.

You didn't say but will she share a cabin with you and your wife? If you get her her own cabin she/you will pay twice for it as if 2 are in the cabin. Ships don't have prices for single passengers.

If she will be with you, she should get one of the two beds. Then someone would have to sleep on the sofa (which can be uncomfortable if its not a pull out bed) or in a pull down bunk.

Ships always have usually one vegetarian entrée very night but she can order 1 or 2 entrées and say no meat.

I would recommend Princess which doesn't have a ton of kids or Celebrity which is more of a country club cruise. Carnival does have Serenity Decks where children and smokers are not allowed though. You can get cruises sailing from California. Have you thought of Alaska?

Just as a point of reference,my husband and I are in our mid sixties.

We have taken about fifteen cruises,mostly on Princess.

I would suggest Princess or Celebrity because of the relaxed atmosphere on the ships.

A 4,5 or 7 day cruise would be good - trying to stay away from a party cruise atmosphere.

If you can, I would book a suite / family suite if you plan to share a cabin with MIL.

There would be more room for all of you.

It might equal the price of two cabins.

Suites have larger balconies and come with perks that she may enjoy.

On Princess,one of the suite perks is breakfast in a lovely,private dining room.

Another perk is priority boarding on embarkation,tenders into ports and debarkation.

Also, try to book a cruise as soon as possible.

Holiday cruises tend to book up quickly.

I hope you all enjoy the cruise.

3 - 4 day cruises tend to attract the Boozers -- especially on Carnival.

Many 7 day holiday cruises tend to attract families. Is MIL fond of a lot of children running around? Disney cruises also have a lot of children on them.

Try to find a 10 day cruise -- many out of Florida.

Check out Celebrity -- maybe even Crystal.

I disagree that the shorter Carnival cruises are boozers. Maybe on Spring Break...But my last Carnival 5 day cruise had much more gray/white hair than kids. Groups of seniors from adult communities.

I recommend Celebrity, especially the Solstice class ships. EM

I disagree that the shorter Carnival cruises are boozers. Maybe on Spring Break...But my last Carnival 5 day cruise had much more gray/white hair than kids. Groups of seniors from adult communities.

I recommend Celebrity, especially the Solstice class ships. EM

Completely agree- our last short cruise on Carnival was quiet and bordered on a bit boring.

Thanksgiving cruises will be full of families.

We've sailed 3 and 4 day cruises on Princess and Carnival out of Los Angeles many times. Our rowdiest was a three day in November on the Golden Princess. Usually it's Mom, Sis and I sailing. I'm a Baby Boomer, Sis just missed the cut off, we are Platinum on both Carnival and Princess. Mom is Diamond on Carnival and Platinum on Princess.

Cabins--

Princess suites are very nice, so are the minisuites. In both the third will sleep on a sofa (ours have been foldout sofas, ask for a topper)

Princess will have balconies and obstructed Ocean View Cabins

Comparing Ocean View and Inside cabins---

Carnival's-

OV and inside cabins are larger.

Larger shower

Third might be in a bunk, rollaway or trundle. Best to call to check.

One 110v outlet and one 220v British outlet

Two hanging closets, another with shelves, three drawers and a pencil drawer.

Safe needs a card with a magnetic strip. We use an old AAA card.

Princess-

Better bathroom vanity layout.

Third will be in a bunk.

Two 110v outlets, set so close that two Apple wall warts will not fit.

One huge open closet

One closet with shelves

Safe is a keypad.

Food--

Is very subjective.

We like Carnival's MDR, deli, pizza, 24 hour ice cream and the hot chocolate machines.

We like Princess Buffet set up, International Cafe.

Either line--For Thanksgiving dinner go to the buffet, seriously. The MDR turkey is a minimally processed roll. The buffet will be carving whole turkeys.

Avoid the pumpkin pie. Never had good pumpkin pie on a ship.

Ship--

Princess's is newer. More elegant. Muted tones. Two pools. Need to pay for most of the Adult areas (Sanctuary).

Found the deck plan difficult to figure out the first time we cruised on Princess.

These two Carnival ships are straight out of 80's Vegas. Easy to navigate.

One pool but lots of quiet areas outside of you don't need to be near the pool.

Free Adult area.

Entertainment- both lines have equally good (or is it bad?) production shows. Comedians are hit or miss. Princess has lots of 'crooner' music. Carnival has variations of Rock. Fastest song we've heard sung at Princess Karaoke has been 'My Way'.

Princess has small shows throughout the day in the piazza.

Carnival has excellent trivia.

Dining--

Both do assigned and ATD. For ease I'd choose assigned dining. With Anytime there can be a wait.

Both lines have lots of vegetarian options. Carnival has an excellent Indian option in the MDR. Princess has Indian Vegetarian options every night in the buffet.

For our family it just depends on which ship is cheaper. We have both Princess and Carnival cruises booked.

If you wanted to do a longer cruise, the Carnival Miracle out of Los Angeles is a great ship. Just did three cruises on her. The third in the cabin would sleep on a sofa (bunk in an inside, sofa in a French Door inside) the 220 is a Euro plug.

A concern----Both lines serve alcohol, Mom won't be able to avoid it. If she's that bothered by those around her drinking I'd suggest looking into another type of holiday.

Edited by SadieN

You might also look at cruising on MSC in the Yacht Club - in the Yacht Club everything is all-inclusive and it's a sophisticated environment with live music every evening, the shows are great with Broadway caliber performers and the food in the suite guest restaurant is Italian - the best of the best and the prices are very low for suites compared to other lines. Suite guests also enjoy a private pool and 2 hot tubs on a private deck with an included buffet and bar. MSC has all the typical cruise ship activities plus enrichment experiences such as Italian lessons. Also, there are no prepaid gratuities and they discourage tipping, although we did tip our butler who bent over backwards to do things for us throughout the cruise. It's just a really great experience! Also you get free access to the thermal suite as a suite guest and MSC will give you the same tier for any other cruise line you have sailed in the past so if you are the top tier on some other cruise line, all you have to do is send them a screen shot of that and they will credit you which means you get a free dinner or two in a specialty restaurant and other perks.

If you can swing it financially, book a cruise on an Oceania ship. They are very relaxed but classy. Alcohol is not included in their fare, but all restaurants are as well as airfare. Their ships are smaller, 690 or 1200 passengers. They are known for their excellent food.

Is there a budget for this? Will she have her own cabin?

Without knowing this, there is little advice I can provide.

Other than that, and no offense, MIL sounds a bit fussy; and I lean towards Celebrity or Princess.

Of the three you are considering PRINCESS. :)

Definitely not Carnival.

We just took my mother-in-law on her very first cruise a few months ago. I think she was determined not to like it and we were sure we'd be ready to ship her home by day 3. Thankfully, we were very wrong. She met some other ladies her age and occasionally met them for coffee and chatting. She had a fabulous time seeing the beaches even though she barely entered to her knees. We were on the NCL Getaway(our favorite ship).

I HIGHLY suggest NOT going Thanksgiving week if you want peace and quiet without kids running everywhere. We always cruise Thanksgiving week with our kids. Extra crowded and kids at every turn. We usually do back to back - the week after Thanksgiving is ideal.

Is there a budget for this? Will she have her own cabin?

Without knowing this, there is little advice I can provide.

Other than that, and no offense, MIL sounds a bit fussy; and I lean towards Celebrity or Princess.

Ha! No offense taken. She can be a difficult for sure, but she's also very sweet.

I haven't settled on a budget yet, but probably around $1500. Maybe a bit more if we're leaving from somewhere Southwest flies to (we have lots of miles).

I didn't realize larger suites were an option before getting such great advice on this thread. I definitely think two cabins or two bedrooms would be ideal.

Thank you all for such amazing suggestions! I'm doing some more research based on your guidance. Luckily, we all like children (my MIL is a retired elementary school teacher) which sounds essential during Thanksgiving.

My wife and I are considering taking my MIL on a cruise for Thanksgiving this year. .... I'd love some advice on what type of itinerary or cruise line might be a good fit for mom.

My son-in-law would quickly suggest an "Alaskan iceberg" ... just kidding (I hope).

Sorry I have nothing to contribute to your primary question, but I do think that having someone else cook Thanksgiving dinner now and then is very relaxing.

You might also ask MIL if there are any ports or any place she wants to see. As an elementary school teacher she may have taught about some place she wanted go but did not have a chance to visit herself.

Ha! No offense taken. She can be a difficult for sure, but she's also very sweet.

I haven't settled on a budget yet, but probably around $1500. Maybe a bit more if we're leaving from somewhere Southwest flies to (we have lots of miles).

I didn't realize larger suites were an option before getting such great advice on this thread. I definitely think two cabins or two bedrooms would be ideal.

$1500 per person or total?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Best cruise for my mother in law,

one we are not on.:eek:

I certainly understand that! There's a reason we've managed to vacation without her so far. She doesn't believe in dancing (her church doesn't allow it) and that's proving to be a big barrier in choosing a cruise.