Alaska 3 choices?

cruiseorbust

I answered your same question on the Celebrity board.

Mercury and Dawn Princess are very similar sized ships - but I lean towards Princess. We've been on Mercury and Sun Princess, sis to Dawn.

I think Princess food in dining room about same as Celebrity, presentation of food not quite as polished on Princess, selection in buffet slightly better on Princess.

Princess' production shows more polished and better staged.

Princess has been in Alaska much longer than Celebrity, which is probably a plus.

I have sailed Mercury, and Dawn Princess, and in my opinion its Dawn Princess, all the way. Celebrity does not have better food than Princess, and X's front office has a lot to learn about public relations. I liked the shops on Mercury, but shopping in Alaska I found to be better than any other port that I have cruised to, other than liquor [prices].

I have not been on Vision of the Seas. I advise you to take a balcony, and to sail in May, the 'dry' month. john

I like the Vision itinerary better, simply because you have a full day in Victoria, which is a wonderful little city. The Mercury is possibly my favorite ship from a cruise food and service perpective...I think there is a huge difference in the food on the Mercury/Galaxy/Century class of Celebrity ship and Princess, with the Mercury and Galaxy having superb dining room and buffet food. I like the Vision ship the best for Alaska because of the indoor Solarium pool, which the Dawn lacks and the Mercury's indoor pool is very small at the back of the ship...not the nicest, I think. So I would choose either the Vision or the Mercury, depending on how much of a foodie you are. Have fun!

There are many factors to consider here and no perfect sailing. :)

The Vision has the worse deck viewing a clear problem if you want to get out for good viewing of the glaciers. Dawn Princess is full open. Princess has ship naturalists, some Celebrity ships do, RCI did not this year, but may change. A BIG plus for first timers. Depending on the glacier, Hubbard would be the better compared to Tracy Arm since that one is more frequently iced out.

Hoonah is a big plus for some "real Alaska" opportunities.

So you may want to consider, ports, time in ports, route (do any of these go inside Vancouver Island???) glacier, price. Budget fully for costly excursions, you get only half a trip without them.

Archived