VOOM Roll Call

VOOM on NAV is more like SPUTTER

Ping 639

Down .27

Up .08

If we were paying for this I would insist on a refund. We are off the coast of Norway now, but it been like this in UK, France, Spain and for our entire TA. Streaming is only possible with Netflix (using their downgraded video quality). Any real streaming is out of the question.

Yeah, this is pretty bad. Is this supposed to be Surf & Stream?

On grandeur at the mo have the basic package working OK quality better than freedom last September and cheaper can what's app Instagram read the newspaper and FacebookImageUploadedByForums1464723457.399386.jpg.683e7fc793784cf1e095dc5ca89372dc.jpg

Edited by judymag

• 2 weeks later...

Majesty currently has free internet for all guests, and only one speed.

Typical speeds over the last few days have been 3Mbs down, 1Mbs up, and around 200ms ping. O3b networks shows on the speedtest.net display.

On Brilliance earlier today ping was 800, download was 1.70 and upload was 2.02

Yes, with STREAM you get better down (and up) speeds - even on ships without O3B internet. But a WiFi call (or other interactive app) would be pretty bad with an 800 ms ping.

Yes, with STREAM you get better down (and up) speeds - even on ships without O3B internet. But a WiFi call (or other interactive app) would be pretty bad with an 800 ms ping.

Just had a wifi call on Messenger. To be honest I didn't think it would work but had around a 10 min call which wasn't the greatest quality but still able to communicate

• 3 weeks later...

When leaving Civitavecchia:

Ping 605 ms DL: 2.07 Mpps UL: 0.93 Mpbs

Listed provider:Harris CapRock

In Kusadasi:

Ping 602 ms DL 3.76 Mbps UL 0.36 Mbps

The speed has been very good trough out the cruise so far. A 2GB file downloaded in just over an hour.

Webpages load quickly after the initial second or two of "nothing happening".

Skype video calls also of good quality, just with a little delay

-jani

When leaving Civitavecchia:

Ping 605 ms DL: 2.07 Mpps UL: 0.93 Mpbs

In Kusadasi:

Ping 602 ms DL 3.76 Mbps UL 0.36 Mbps

The speed has been very good trough out the cruise so far. A 2GB file downloaded in just over an hour.

Webpages load quickly after the initial second or two of "nothing happening".

Skype video calls also of good quality, just with a little delay

-jani

Thanks for the report. I'm impressed by the speed from the high geosync satellite. That second or two of nothing happening is likely due to the high ping period.

We had Voom on the Navigator for our TA in May and I was very pleased with the speed all the way across and in Portugal, Spain and France. On occasion, we'd lose connectivity ... but it was always back up to speed within an hour. It was the best/fastest internet service I've ever experienced on a ship.

Thanks for the report. I'm impressed by the speed from the high geosync satellite. That second or two of nothing happening is likely due to the high ping period.

From all the reporting is seems that STREAM is up to 4MB down on non-O3B ships. But as you mentioned, the high ping makes web sites and other initial loads sluggish.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Serenade in the Baltic (July 3-10) and had prepurchased the 2-device Surf package. After one day/evening of trying to get online we went to guest services on Day 2, which issued us a full refund of the entire package price.

There were numerous issues with the service:

• Device wouldn't connect to the service; sometimes we needed to try a dozen times and/or "Forget network" in order to get the WiFi to finally connect.
  • When it did connect, the Royal login page sometimes wouldn't load so we could not enter our access code and begin surfing.
  • Super-slow speeds (as documented). See speedtest results (attached).
  • The service is supposed to time out after some time (2 hours I think) of inactivity. This is great, but as far as I could tell there was no way to disconnect early if you wanted to. Just turning the WiFi off on your device wouldn't necessarily disconnect you. As a result, if we wanted to switch from one device to another we had to wait 2 hours for the service to disconnect automatically. Very inconvenient.

We spoke to numerous fellow cruisers over the course of the week, and every one of them cancelled for a refund after getting frustrated with the lack of service. We even had a brief conversation with the head of the ship's IT department right after the lifeboat drill on Day 1 -- he sort of chuckled as we talked about it and said something to the effect of "we'll see; good luck!" My recommendation: don't waste your money on "Voom" on Serenade. Hopefully she will get upgraded to true "Voom" service soon.

IMG_1840.jpg.a55aef71fc8387abc5257a7bbf111892.jpg

We just returned from Serenade in the Baltic (July 3-10) and had prepurchased the 2-device Surf package. After one day/evening of trying to get online we went to guest services on Day 2, which issued us a full refund of the entire package price.

There were numerous issues with the service:

•  
  • Device wouldn't connect to the service; sometimes we needed to try a dozen times and/or "Forget network" in order to get the WiFi to finally connect.

• When it did connect, the Royal login page sometimes wouldn't load so we could not enter our access code and begin surfing.

• Super-slow speeds (as documented). See speedtest results (attached).

• The service is supposed to time out after some time (2 hours I think) of inactivity. This is great, but as far as I could tell there was no way to disconnect early if you wanted to. Just turning the WiFi off on your device wouldn't necessarily disconnect you. As a result, if we wanted to switch from one device to another we had to wait 2 hours for the service to disconnect automatically. Very inconvenient.

We spoke to numerous fellow cruisers over the course of the week, and every one of them cancelled for a refund after getting frustrated with the lack of service. We even had a brief conversation with the head of the ship's IT department right after the lifeboat drill on Day 1 -- he sort of chuckled as we talked about it and said something to the effect of "we'll see; good luck!" My recommendation: don't waste your money on "Voom" on Serenade. Hopefully she will get upgraded to true "Voom" service soon.

Just an FYI, while logged on, type "log off" in the top space where you normally type the web site you will be logged off the wifi and then be able to log on another device![emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW.

Good thing I read this thread.

I was debating between Surf and Stream or just Surf.

I was at first hoping I could pay for Surf, and still get speeds that permit streaming. Now I'm wondering if I will even bother with Surf and Stream.

Can you really stream video at 4 down?

Just an FYI, while logged on, type "log off" in the top space where you normally type the web site you will be logged off the wifi and then be able to log on another device![emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. That would have been good information for Royal to provide; although that was but one of several of our issues.