VOOM Roll Call

thanks! I have 25 up/down at home and work. 4 down just seems so archaic. I can't recall what you can do at 4 down.:D

Depending on the quality and resolution of the video you can stream on the crappy SURF connection on non O3B equipped ships (which is .5 MBs down). Most Youtube videos will work at that speed.

Most people get sucked in by the hype created by the ISPs to keep getting faster and faster service for Internet. In virtually every market you can get the lowest tier service and have no noticeable degradation of performance. Yes, if you are downloading huge files (GBs) the download will be faster with a faster connection, but for virtually all normal uses, the lowest tier service will work just fine.

4 MB down (which is what you'll get on Oasis with SURF) is plenty for Netflix.It may not work on SURF on other ships which don't have the O3B internet.

I believe some people reported that O3b ships also started throttling Surf at 0.5 Mbps after the VOOM fleetwide roll out. Maybe someone on Oasis can confirm?

-jani

I believe some people reported that O3b ships also started throttling Surf at 0.5 Mbps after the VOOM fleetwide roll out.

I don't remember seeing anything like that, but if true that could affect the performance of some apps which ran fine at the previous limit.

I was on the Adventure last month and normally had 0.5 - 1 Mbps with 200-600 ms ping.

Are you sure about the ping times? The lower end of that would indicate that the ship has O3B internet, which would mean the ship got upgraded somehow.

It was very uncommon but yes, saw those ping times a few times. But the most common response time was over 500.

That sounds like the numbers from Freedom which has O3B internet, but with really sucky numbers. Hmmm.... wonder what's going on.

Maybe that explains all the pre-sailing sales on internet.

Given the awful numbers reported on the current sailing of Freedom, even ships with O3B internet can have performance issues - which might be caused by lots of folks buying the internet package before the cruise.

• 3 months later...
I'll be on the Indy in Jan and again on the Apr TA to SOU and the wifi will be tested throughly. I'll report then, but as it is now I've seen tests that suggest it does have the 03b service.

Ensure that you use an app like Speed Test Master which can modify the ping address. We've had some report ping rates like 20 ms which on a ship is very misleading since it's counting the time to the first hop which is still on the ship and not a land based location.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on the Liberty so I asked the Concierge Host to contact the IT manager on the Indy to confirm they have O3b service and they do indeed have it.

So, add the Independance on the list of ships that have the "REAL VOOM" and not just high orbit garbage the Liberty and most ships are stuck with.

Currently on the Liberty so I asked the Concierge Host to contact the IT manager on the Indy to confirm they have O3b service and they do indeed have it.

So, add the Independance on the list of ships that have the "REAL VOOM" and not just high orbit garbage the Liberty and most ships are stuck with.

The IT Manager on the Rhapsody told me the same thing - the only thing I would trust is a ping test or a tracert that shows O3B.

• 1 month later...
Any update on this list? Specifically Voyager?

Given that the last two ships (Adventure, Rhapsody) went through dry dock without the upgrade to O3B, I don't foresee any other ship getting it in the near term, Voyager included.