Carnival Hub App

I am sure that the answer to my question is buried somewhere in the hundreds of Carnival threads but here goes: is the Carnival Hub App really worth the few extra dollars while on board? We normally travel with one or two other couples and have in the past used small FRS radios to stay in contact while on board. Now, Carnival's HUB App allows cruisers to chat with other members in their group. Our upcoming cruise on Freedom is our first since Carnival rolled out HUB App. Thanks in advance

I am sure that the answer to my question is buried somewhere in the hundreds of Carnival threads but here goes: is the Carnival Hub App really worth the few extra dollars while on board? We normally travel with one or two other couples and have in the past used small FRS radios to stay in contact while on board. Now, Carnival's HUB App allows cruisers to chat with other members in their group. Our upcoming cruise on Freedom is our first since Carnival rolled out HUB App. Thanks in advance

You have to decide. The chat feature is $5 per person per cruise. Not bad. The social media features are, I think, $5 per person per day.

Interesting comment about the radios. Our experience was, due to heavy steel decking and walls, and abundant children aboard, they were nearly worthless. They now gather dust on a closet shelf.

Hmm the hub app and its use were free for me on the breeze a few months back.

I downloaded the app before we left and used it for events and dinning menu's while onboard.

to use hub app for communication message service, there is a fee

to use the hub app for menu, fun times, deck plans, look at phones (on the vista) is free

Can someone give me some info, or a link, to more info on using the Hub app to communicate with other cruisers while on board?

I'm looking for a way to stay connected with my son while on board. Was going to purchase the Social internet package for him to use a messaging app, but it sounds like this app may do the trick. Does it work on phones that are on airplane mode? Is an internet package needed in addition to the hub app for communicating?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

The Hubb app itself is free. The part that is not free that you are thinking about is the messaging part. If you have a whole family on the ship and you all wish to communicate on the ship with your devices you can pay for the chat feature which is what costs money.

Also the hubb app allows you to watch your balance on your sail and sign card too. We downloaded the app before heading to the port and once on the ship I purchased the social media internet plan. Which is also different than the chat feature. It's something like $25 for the whole cruise and gives you access to Facebook, Facebook messenger, snapchat, instagram, and a few other apps. I used this all week to not only keep in touch with my family back home but also those on our roll call. We sent reminders for events and get togethers and such. Also people would send out messages asking if anyone wanted to get drinks etc.

Personally, if it were me, I would buy the social plan if everyone on the ship you want to keep in contact with have Facebook. You can use the messenger app and keep in touch that way, and also have the ability to chat with those back home.

Can someone give me some info, or a link, to more info on using the Hub app to communicate with other cruisers while on board?

I'm looking for a way to stay connected with my son while on board. Was going to purchase the Social internet package for him to use a messaging app, but it sounds like this app may do the trick. Does it work on phones that are on airplane mode? Is an internet package needed in addition to the hub app for communicating?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Although I don't have the specific link you are looking for, yes you can both use your phone on airplane mode and use the carnival app to communicate with Carnival's messaging feature. The one thing I have heard people complain about is that it doesn't alert you to a new message like a text would. With text messaging your phone does a vibrate or a chime to alert you to a new message, but this app doesn't do that. You just have to open the app and look for new messages.

We're on the Valor on the 15th. Does anyone know if it's part of the upgrades being done right now?

I don't see it on the dry dock schedule, but may not mean it isn't going to be available?

Carnival Valor Dry Dock: 4/23/16 - 5/08/16

Confirmed upgrades will include:

• Guy's Burger Joint
  • BlueIguana Cantina
  • Redfrog Rum Bar
  • BlueIguana Tequila Bar
  • Redfrog Pub
  • Alchemy Bar
  • Skybox Sports Bar
  • Cherry on Top

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3307

The hub app does chime. Just not very loud. So for someone like me who pulls out my phone every 5 minutes it works good. I also had the internet package and was using facebook messenger a lot too.

But I used the hub app on my last cruise I took with my parents and it didn't work that well. Trying to text my mom on a regular phone its hard to get her to hear/feel it. With this app it was for the most part relegated to just a sticky note type system because she would check her phone every couple hours and see I sent her something 2 hours ago. And at least we had a general idea where everybody was.

All in all it was still worth $5 for the cruise though as between shows someone would inevitably go back to the room for a few mins and we could text each other where we found seats at in the theaters. But that was when she was expecting a text so she checked phone better.