hotel recommendations for night before

For us it depends when we get in. Most of the time we were getting in later so we stayed close to MCO, usually the Residence Inn which has some suites.

Last time we got in around noon so we stayed closer to the port.

For us it depends when we get in. Most of the time we were getting in later so we stayed close to MCO, usually the Residence Inn which has some suites.

Last time we got in around noon so we stayed closer to the port.

Agree with this.

If we are flying into MCO earlier in the day, we will rent a car, and stay in Cape Canaveral. You have several good options there - Residence Inn probably suits your wants/needs the best.

If our flight is landing in the evening...we'll stay at the Hyatt inside MCO and in the morning, take DCL transfers to the port.

We also base where to stay on arrival time. Generally, places near MCO are cheaper. Country Inn and Suites near MCO, Homewood Suites, etc.

There are no DCL shuttles from area hotels (other than WDW hotels.) If you stay near MCO and want a DCL shuttle, you'll need to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and catch the DCL shuttle from there at $35 per person each way. Another alternative would be a one way car rental--pick up at MCO, drop off at Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach. A third option is a private towncar/limo. The "break even" point on cost is about 4 people on a DCL shuttle.

If you opt for a hotel near the port, avoid Best Western Inn and Suites. Nasty. Totally borderline. Only stayed there because I had to have a suite on one trip and my favorites were full.

Country Inn and Suites Cape Canaveral is lovely.

I would rather stay near the port at night so I'm closer to it in the morning esp without a car. I would not stay at Radisson again. Property was so big and outside room hallways and everything to eat was closed. So irritating. I want a regular hotel with a lobby and elevators inside that go up to our floor.

Of the three hotels nearest the terminal, the Radisson has the best pool, but is otherwise my least favorite choice. It is the oldest of the three and seems to be always under construction. They also include breakfast only in certain "packages," while the others have breakfast included in every stay. The Residence and Country Inn and Suites are newer, cleaner, and in all ways nicer.

If you stay at a hotel in Cape Canaveral, you are going to need a way to get there. A DCL transfer won't do it--you either need a car (which can also be used to get you to the port in the morning) or you need a private shuttle/towncar/limo service, which means you'd still need a way to get to the terminal in the morning. That can be a hotel shuttle--some are free, some paid depending on where you stay.

There is a brand new Homewood Suites in Cape Canaveral that literally just opened and they are offering a park n cruise rate if you want to leave your car and take their shuttle. When comparing costs between staying in the airport area or in the port area take into account any potential cost savings included with a park n cruise type deal.

EDIT - Haha! For some reason I didn't see that Capt_BJ had already posted about Homewood when I was writing this?

Edited by bitterbuffalo

We stayed at the MCO Hyatt just for convenience over anything. On our first cruise, it was DH and I and we arrived around 2pm but still chose the Hyatt inside the airport. With the kids on our next cruise, we opted to stay there also since we will arrive around 8:40pm and a certain 5 yr old will be tired. The fact we can leave our luggage in the hotel room for DCL to pick up and take to the cruise is worth it. DH and I were able to just walk out of our hotel room without our luggage and walk to the DCL transporation area. Easy and worth the convenience in my mind. Just make sure you put the DCL provided luggage tags on it before you leave your hotel room and hand the provided paper at Hyatt checkin to the CM when checking in to board transportation.

The Hyatt MCO is great for convenience, especially if you are using DCL transportation. It is also one of the most costly hotels in the area.

There are 3 steps in the luggage transfer program. You can only do this if you are staying at the Hyatt MCO and using DCL transfers. When you check in at the Hyatt front desk, be sure you are placed on the luggage list for DCL. They will give you a form to give to the Disney Welcome Center CM. Before you leave the hotel room in the morning, be sure your cruise luggage tags are on the bags. When you check in for the DCL bus, give the form to the CM at the desk.

The bags are collected by the Hyatt bell service based on the list at the front desk. When they are turned over to DCL, the CMs use the form to be sure that all bags have been received and are then sent to the ship.

I also vote for the Hyatt if using DCL for the ground transfer. Just leave the bags in the room, go down to the 1st floor B side in the terminal and catch the bus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Something else that should be pointed out to those not experiencing it before is that DCL transfers at MCO aren't just a normal bus. You get a DCL bus that has special decorations on the side with portholes, and a video welcoming you and then old Disney cartoons. Even though it was more expensive, we took the transfer with our kids because it was a neat way to start the whole cruise experience just that much sooner. Not to mention if you get on one of the first buses, you're in the port prior to it being opened to the public.

Something else that should be pointed out to those not experiencing it before is that DCL transfers at MCO aren't just a normal bus. You get a DCL bus that has special decorations on the side with portholes, and a video welcoming you and then old Disney cartoons. Even though it was more expensive, we took the transfer with our kids because it was a neat way to start the whole cruise experience just that much sooner. Not to mention if you get on one of the first buses, you're in the port prior to it being opened to the public.

I was wondering about the look of the bus.

Are we assigned a time to catch the bus? If so, how is it determined?

I was wondering about the look of the bus.

Are we assigned a time to catch the bus? If so, how is it determined?

From WDW resorts--each resort has one assigned time.

From MCO--you are assigned a bus based on the order that you check in. First thing in the morning, they may fill up several buses as soon as they open, although this is not the usual. From that point on, they depart every 20 minutes or as soon as full, whichever is sooner.

Some people will check out of their hotel room at 8:30 to be at the Welcome Center ASAP. Others will stay in the hotel to be comfortable as long as possible. And obviously, there will be planes arriving with people who have booked transfers.

One hint. The first bus will not depart till about 9:30. You can go to the welcome center to check in, then go to breakfast while you are waiting for the bus. Just be sure to ask them what time you'll need to be back. It is typically 9:20 or so.

Arriving at the terminal via DCL bus WILL get you into the terminal with no waiting (OK, into the security line). It will not get you on board any sooner than any other arrival method. You still get the same boarding card number as if you had arrived in a car or limo, and that determines when you board.

Edited by moki'smommy

Last time we went they actually started putting people in lines as soon as they started checking in, in your standards zig-zag Disney waiting line. One section holding enough for one bus. So when they started loading they had several buses worth lined up. So if they still do that, no leaving for breakfast.

Last time we went they actually started putting people in lines as soon as they started checking in, in your standards zig-zag Disney waiting line. One section holding enough for one bus. So when they started loading they had several buses worth lined up. So if they still do that, no leaving for breakfast.

Oh boo! They attached a character sticker to our booklet and we were free to leave. We essentially had an hour! Each character sticker was one bus.

Making you stand in line is definitely a change for the worse.

Edited by moki'smommy

We always stay near the airport just because we are coming from the west coast and like to get off the plane and go straight to the hotel. Residence Inn and Homewood Suites just North of MCO are both good choices. Tons of private shuttle options to get to the port in the morning.

Was this scenario for one of the bigger ships? When DH and I checked in for the Magic back in end of Feb it was basically we got a piece of paper with a character on it stapled to our travel book and we actually did walk around as the first bus out of MCO for the Magic doesnt fill up as quick as I'm assuming it would for the Fantasy or Dream.

Was this scenario for one of the bigger ships? When DH and I checked in for the Magic back in end of Feb it was basically we got a piece of paper with a character on it stapled to our travel book and we actually did walk around as the first bus out of MCO for the Magic doesnt fill up as quick as I'm assuming it would for the Fantasy or Dream.

This is what we experienced. I think the Welcome Center opened at 8:30 (we had been told 9, but it really opened early). We got the character on our booklet to show that we had checked in and which bus we were on, and we were told that they would begin lining up at 9:20 for a 9:30 departure. We were free to hang out in the area (there are very few seats), to go to the food court, or whatever.

This is what we experienced. I think the Welcome Center opened at 8:30 (we had been told 9' date=' but it really opened early). We got the character on our booklet to show that we had checked in and which bus we were on, and we were told that they would begin lining up at 9:20 for a 9:30 departure. We were free to hang out in the area (there are very few seats), to go to the food court, or whatever.[/quote']

oh Ours didnt open till 9am (they had it set up but didnt let anyone get into the zig zagged lines till 9am. DH and I walked around and used restrooms etc before getting on the bus. There were plenty of seats still after 30 minutes of us just roaming around. I'm sure when we take the kids on the Fantasy here in a few months it will be packed.

Yes, the Fantasy. I don't recall when they started checking people in, but I vaguely remember it being later than we thought it should be. There was quite a crowd when they finally started checking in and lining us up.