fare price drop

We have been watching the price of fares (on the Pearl) for a trip we have booked and paid for in full, slowly drop to a point that they are now 470 dollars cheaper than what we paid.

To be clear, the room we booked is now availiable for a price that is at least 471 dollars cheaper than we paid for the same cruise on the same date from Auckland.

Is there any advice, or understood principle as to how P and O treats early bookers who have paid a premium over that which the company ultimately sells cabins for?

les

Are the cabins available near the cabin you have booked? When you see those prices advertised that say "from $xxxx" and then have a look, the cheapest cabins always seem to have something undesirable - like obstructed views, at the bow or stern, directly above or below the nightclub etc.

I kept an eye on the prices for our P&O cruise at the end of July. Prices for a balcony room seemed to be pretty stable, and then became unavailable.

The cabins for sale are the "mini suite ". We paid (for my wife and I), $2196 for the 4 day trip in a "Mini suite".

But now P and O are selling the same suite for $1726 for two people. I dont think there are lesser "Mini suites" that could be sold for such a discounted rate.

https://www.pocruises.com.au/en/cruises/comedy/p627

So, is there any advice, or understood principle as to how P and O treats early bookers who have paid a premium over that which the company ultimately sells cabins for

Thanks

les

I booked directly through a P & O agent and when our cruise had a price drop I gave her a call. What she said to me was that if I wanted the cheaper fare i had to drop the "perks" (we had the 5 greatest offer sale deal) as the new price was without these.

I didn't do this, but now regret it as the perks were not worth the difference in fare...

But in an attempt to answer your question - they do not have a price match or difference in onboard credit offer like other cruise lines seem to do.

You can give them a call to see what they will do but in general don't expect much.

• 2 weeks later...
One word of advice.Cruise princess not P&NO:)

Haha - love this reply. So true though, some cruise lines honour price drops, some don't.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

8 years of cruising I have learnt

If I really want to do a particular cruise - book it when happy with price and don't look at prices any more.

If not really worried about the cruise but would like to do one - keep an eye on price changes and especially about the 2 to 3 month prior, unless Visa involved.

If booking with a group best to book earlier than later especially if can get a good deal as you may miss out on the group cruise.

I book with whom ever I can get the best deal - usually through online TA, but sometimes better deals direct if you get cruise company email specials.

Our latest cruise is a pack and go so only booked 3 weeks ago and leave in 3 weeks. Got great price but no choice in cabins other than inside or balcony. Nice that we only live 85 kms from a major port.

Edited by kate59

• 1 month later...
Haha - love this reply. So true though, some cruise lines honour price drops, some don't.

Which cruise lines do you mean Porky55? P&O will honour price drops. It's just they won't include the perks that the original fare included (in sweetp12's case) as they are no longer available. It's exactly the same for Princess, Carnival Aus, and all the other Carnival brands in Australia (they all use the same reservation system and repricing the fares for all of these are done in exactly the same way). Royal and Celebrity don't honour price drops in Australia, only in the U.S.

We had the same issue earlier this year when we cruised out of Singapore for 14 nites on Pacific Eden . Saw a special 6 months after we booked so we cancelled our original booking ( lost $400 deposit ) & rebooked at new price & was still $500 ahead after loosing the deposit

• 1 month later...

Just like anything else you buy if it were to go on sale they won't give you your money back.

The rooms sold last minute are in the least desirable locations that people have avoided booking in advance, hence the discount. They are quite often on guarantee basis as well essentially meaning a "lucky dip".

Some cruises go up and some go down, just be happy with the price you signed up for otherwise you wouldn't have booked in the first place!