Thank you Cruise Critic

Mack704

DW and I have been cruising since we first met in 2003. We used a short 5 day cruise on Carniva to see if we were compatible being with each other 24/7.

We're now in our mid 60s and have about 150 days at sea under our belts, with six different cruise lines.

About 10 months ago, we booked the NCL Pearl to Alaska in a balcony cabin, the last cabin on the port side aft; 10662.

I use CC as one of my research tools, as there is always more to learn about cruising, especially specific to the line we're cruisin next.

I recently read a thread where the cruiser was asking if $1500.00 was a good price to pay for an upgrade to a suite. The overwhelming response was yes.

I've also read here that as it gets closer to sale date, NCL might be willing to give a better upgrade cost.

Bottom line: We checked with our TA yesterday and low and behold, we got an upgrade to a rear facing penthouse suite for less than $1500.00. We sail in 9 days.

Thank you CCers! Thanks a lot!

Harvey

Congrats! Thanks to CC we also got a sweet deal, moving from a balcony to a forward penthouse romance suite on our upcoming honeymoon Alaska cruise for $1100! Hope you have a wonderful cruise :)

Nice story and lucky break.

Yet it is my understanding if you have to pay more to get a different cabin then it's an upsell.

An upgrade is done with your existing payment, as I have 2x from ocean view to balcony

Nice story and lucky break.

Yet it is my understanding if you have to pay more to get a different cabin then it's an upsell.

An upgrade is done with your existing payment, as I have 2x from ocean view to balcony

Yes, OP "upsold" himself to a penthouse cabin for what is reportedly an excellent price, which he could not have obtained much earlier in the booking period.

You say "tomato" and I say "to-ma-to". I think everyone understands what he did. It's one thing to pay the going rate to upgrade yourself for the same price as any other person when you decide you really want a balcony rather than an inside. You really haven't gotten a deal in all likelihood.

But it's an entirely different deal when you are able to "upsell" for an incredible price which is available only to the lucky person who happens to call at the right time. Like we did once on the Sun when we went from aft facing mini to corner aft facing Penthouse for less than $180 total. But yes, it was only an "upsell".:).

Edited by punkincc