Anchorage - Whittier

hornhiyo

Arriving in Anchorage Friday night and departing 8:30 pm Saturday. Any suggestions for hotels? What's the best option for travel to Whittier on Saturday morning? I've heard there's a train. Is there a link?

Any suggestions for excursions. We're doing Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

We're outdoors types, but probably not hunting and fishing excursions. :)

What would be a must see excursion, cost be damned? What would be an under rated excursion?

Here's the link to the Alaska Railroad: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

Your cruiseline may also run a special cruise transfer train on the day of your cruise. Either way you should get into Whittier in time for a Prince William Sound glacier cruise.

Another option is a to rent a car from Avis and drop it in Whittier. This gives you the freedom to explore as you like.

Hotel: If you are taking the train, you could look for a hotel that offers a shuttle to save on taxi fare.

Any suggestions for excursions. We're doing Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

We're outdoors types, but probably not hunting and fishing excursions. :)

What would be a must see excursion, cost be damned? What would be an under rated excursion?

There are hundreds of excursions, and loads of "must see" and "under rated".

Have you looked over shore excursion lists? Each city also have visitor information sites.

"outdoor" can be the entire visit. :) And is what the bulk of Alaska tours will be. So, you need to narrow down your interests a lot more and determine- what tours have the most interest to you.

Go to the Princess web-site and look at the excursions offered at these ports. This will let you know what is possible. Decide which type of excursions you are most interested in. What YOU might think is the best or most exciting might not be the one for somebody else!

Often one can book smaller more private excursions on their own. We have booked our own Whale Watching at Juneau... But, have realized that Princess does offer a small group excursion for this as well. Juneau is probably the best port for whale watching, at Auke Bay.

As mentioned, one can take a Glacier Tour in Prince William Sound before boarding the cruise ship. (Phillips and Major Marine) You can book the scenic train ride from Anchorage, where you would check in at about 9:00a.m. or shortly after. The train arrives at Whittier at about noon. There are many hotel options at Anchorage. One of the most established and familiar might be the Captain Cook. We chose the Embassy Suites. You can also go to sites like trip advisor, pull up Anchorage, and this will give a list of the best rated hotels, reviews, etc.

"Price be damned" excursions would be any air/floatplane excursion. You can take an air tour, land on the ice fields, and sled with Alaskan Sled Dogs.

At Skagway, of course, the White Pass Railway is also one of the big options. Many will recommend booking thru a vendor like Chilkoot or Dyea Dave, to also complete the round trip by van up into the Klondike, to Carcross and Emerald Lake.

From Ketchikan, if sailing late summer, this is the Salmon run, and there are bear viewing excursions. I think that Anan Creek is the biggest one??? One can also book this on their own, thru vendors like Island Wings. If it is not the season for the Salmon Run, then an air tour to Misty Fjords might be the big, cost be damned, excursion.

After you have looked at the different options, THEN narrow it down and come back here. The experts will be happy to let you know which are good, and the best options for that type of excursion.

Happy Planning!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Thanks for the feedback. One question on excursions, I'm going through the Princess site. On Caribbean cruises I've used Viator for excursions. Has anyone had any experience using them other non-cruise line travel companies?

There are at least 100 trip reports in STICKYs near the top of this page. Many of them are detailed photojournals with lots of great info and photos of activities and excursions. The photos help bring the experience to life and there's nothing better than a first hand recommendation for vendors at each port.

Find a trip report with a similar itinerary and you'll find some great ideas. Such as this report

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2253237

Thanks for the feedback. One question on excursions, I'm going through the Princess site. On Caribbean cruises I've used Viator for excursions. Has anyone had any experience using them other non-cruise line travel companies?

For me, it is superior to book direct with the vendor. I am picky about who I go with and want specific tours.