Using iPhone on board... Tips and tricks please?

Okay folks. I just became a new Grandpa... Yeah!

So now we leave in less than 3 weeks on the beautiful Allure of the seas. We are going to have Major Baby Esme withdrawal.... So NANA wants me to find out how we can use our phones on board.

I am not interested in phone calls, but either texting with pictures or Skype would be nice. I see the new zoom feature is available... BUT.. How does that work with the iphones? I don't want to come home to a huge cell bill. Do you just leave your device on airplane mode?

Gramps and Nana need to know! :):)

Purchase a WiFi package from the cruise ship.

Put your phones in Airplane Mode and turn on WiFi.

Use an internet texting app such as iMessage or WhatsApp. Skype should also work.

Purchase a WiFi package from the cruise ship.

Put your phones in Airplane Mode and turn on WiFi.

Use an internet texting app such as iMessage or WhatsApp. Skype should also work.

Skype definitely works - with video, as does FaceTime, iMessage, WhatsApp, etc.

If your iPhone and carrier support Wifi calling, then that will work as well.

From another gma point of view

What ports are you visiting?? I now have three little granddaughters. The last one was just ten days old when I cruised last. So I know what you mean by needing to stay in touch and to get new pictures

One thing you may want to consider is what ports will you be in and in what days??

With Att incoming text are free. But that is if sent as a regular text message and not an iMessage.

Then depending on the island you visit. You may have free calls if it's a US territory. San Juan. St Thomas. St Croix. Are you visiting any of these islands??? Also. Lots of places on other islands offer free wifi.

As I didn't plan on using the Internet for any other reason. I decided not to buy the package. My daughter would send regular messages giving my updates on how everyone was doing. And then she would post pictures to me thru fb messenger and I would check it when on a "free island". Or when we were somewhere with free wifi

Now come November when we have a coupe sea days in a row. I may have to rethink the package!!!!

Okay folks. I just became a new Grandpa... Yeah!

So now we leave in less than 3 weeks on the beautiful Allure of the seas. We are going to have Major Baby Esme withdrawal.... So NANA wants me to find out how we can use our phones on board.

I am not interested in phone calls, but either texting with pictures or Skype would be nice. I see the new zoom feature is available... BUT.. How does that work with the iphones? I don't want to come home to a huge cell bill. Do you just leave your device on airplane mode?

Gramps and Nana need to know! :):)

First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS!! Grandbabies are the BEST!

DH and I were just on the Allure and we used iMessage and also internet phone. Please note** iMessage only works from iPhone to iPhone it cannot be used for iPhone to Android texting, for that you'll need whatsapp.

Have fun!