Help planning Ketchikan, mid July

traveltime3400

I am trying to find a plan that my whole group would enjoy, if not we will split up for the day. We have a limited time (6 am-1:30 pm) and I doubt we would be off the ship before 7:30 am due to MIL mobility issues. Our group is 2 grandparents, 2 parents (me and DH) and 2 kids 7 and 12. We are looking for land based options (no boats, no flying). I think we would all enjoy the Lumberjack show. We love outdoors and wildlife, and the kids are learning to enjoy cultural things.

Plan 1 - Cruise ship tour "Rainforest Sanctuary and Lumberjack show". The reviews online of the sanctuary are interesting. It seems that people love it when they see bears, and are bored and think it was a waste of money if they don't see bears. I think I would be disappointed if we didn't see some wildlife (esp bears), because we do hiking all of the time at home so the trail in itself is not a draw for us.

Plan 2 - Private taxi tour for 2-3 hours, then Lumberjack show. I've read good reviews and it sounds like the local tour guides know where to spot wildlife and there are some cultural highlights as well.

Plan 3 - Walk around Creek Street + Lumberjack show. Most easy going plan, low commitment, but none of us are big shoppers so I don't know if that would be fun.

Any thoughts on these plans? Or, am I missing something we should consider? Thanks so much!!

Seeing bear at Herring would be a long-shot, for sure.

The kids would enjoy totems .... the colors and story behind each totem is interesting to kids (and adults). You don't have time to visit Totem Bight but there are others in and around downtown.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

Between the Lumberjack Show, walking along Creek St/Married Mans Trail/Fish ladder, and the totems your day will be pretty full.

(Have the kids look along any shoreline for the purple or orange starfish, usually clinging to pier/docks when tide goes out.)

Thanks for the input! If we did the "walking around town" option, is that accessible if my mother-in-law needs her motorized scooter?

Will the salmon likely be running in mid-July?

Edited by traveltime3400

Thanks for the input! If we did the "walking around town" option, is that accessible if my mother-in-law needs her motorized scooter?

Will the salmon likely be running in mid-July?

Salmon will definitely be running in July.

Although you expressed, "no boats", the Crab Fishing excursion on the Aleutian Ballad of TV's "Deadliest Catch" series feeds eagles for great photos, demonstrates fishing for several types of crab, hands-on touching live sea creatures found in the crab pots, short walk from the ship (docked nearby) comfortable seats, overhead covering/heaters, and drive-on for scooters with scooter parking/seating aboard.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan/ketchikan-crab-fishing/

With the eagles swooping down to pick up the fish, the kids will love it and the funny/dangerous stories about filming the TV series will appeal to all.

This is one of the highest rated excursions in Ketchikan and highly praised by my DW who has driven her scooter on this excursion three times.

Salmon will definitely be running in July.

I disagree. When we have been in Ketchikan at the END of July, we have usually only seen a few salmon. The couple of times we've been there in early August, we've seen lots. I think they will be too early for salmon in Ketchikan in mid-July.

There is a walking tour map in the 'experience alaska' link I posted earlier. If you have questions about any specific part of the walk I would call the Visitors Bureau.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_downtown.pdf

Creek Street is accessible, but Married Mans Trail is definitely not. However the trail ends at Cape Fox Lodge ... she could take the tram up and meet you there!

The salmon run typically starts at the end of July .... weather can move it ahead or behind by 10-14 days but i wouldn't EXPECT to see any in mid july. No harm in looking ... you may find a few. Plus it gives the kids a chance to run around and burn off steam.

I disagree. When we have been in Ketchikan at the END of July, we have usually only seen a few salmon. The couple of times we've been there in early August, we've seen lots. I think they will be too early for salmon in Ketchikan in mid-July.

According to the Ketchikan Fishing Calendar you should have seen salmon in July:

http://explorenorth.com/alaska/fishing_calendar-ketchikan.html

I saw lots of half-eaten silver salmon during my Ketchikan bear-watching excursion when I was there in a July. Also saw some black bears:

hdv_0143-3.jpg