How to plan WAY AHEAD!?!

mlkmnsgrl

We just realized we're coming up on our 10th anniversary in January 2018! That seems really far out to us, but if we're going to get a nice suite for our family, we need to book soon, right?

We haven't cruised with our kids before, but would like to for this--but that means we want a big ship with lots of fun for them. They'll be 8, 6, and 4. We think we should actually book for 6 assuming we'll have another by then, is that nuts?

Anyway, should we basically just call a cruiseline (we've only done Norwegian so far) and see what they've got? It seems like there aren't many options online, but then when I read these forums it seems like you pros are booking far ahead.

I'd like to do South America or the canal rather than the more traditional Hawaii since we're less beach and more animal/archaeology people. What cruiselines are good for those?

Aack...I feel like we're last minute planners and the thought of doing something more expensive and well ahead is really intimidating. Any guidance is appreciated!

Also note that if you have another there are guidelines on age. Some say 6 months, some say 1 year. And they don't mean 5 months and 28 days. They mean 6 months.

Disney might accommodate all in one room but they are much more expensive. Try searching by your destination and see what cruise lines come up. It doesn't hurt to go in and talk to a brick and mortar travel agent. No one says you need to use them in the end but you can give him/her your perimeters and they can give you an idea of the differences of the cruises.

Once you book start some kind of a spread sheet to keep everything organized and a due and don't list. Like, parking at the port or getting to and from the port (which ever your situation is).

Then you can work on your shore excursions. A lot of people book through the cruise lines, especially if you are a first timer but also you can use Cruise Critic and the different areas to learn everything you ever needed to know and more.

Don't be afraid to ask no matter how small or how stupid you think your question is. We all had to start at the beginning some time.

Whatever you do, buy insurance. I don't have any to recommend but with something like this, you want to make sure you don't lose all your money if life happens.

I absolutely 100% agree!

Life and ship happens!

With the ages that your children will be & the need for a family suite, I would try Disney Wonder.

They would need to be on a classic ship if there were 6, and in a Concierge 2 Bed or Royal suite all together, or book 2 connecting Staterooms.

And hell, DCL STILL have not released any dates for 2017 past September yet!

So no chance of booking right now.

I would book a newer RCI ship, as the Magic is not going to get any more upgrades and the Wonder still has no confirmed upgrades after her drydock in Sept this year.

ex techie

Yes, you're totally nuts for looking so far ahead. :D

So much can change in the world - and in your family (note notentirely's comment about minimum ages).

But no harm in researching - by the time you come to book you'll be an experienced cruiser before you set foot on a ship. ;)

A few assorted comments, in no particular order.............

Note the sound advice from cml to fix up insurance before committing barrow-loads of cash.

Booking insurance independently is almost-always better value than thro' the cruise lines.

Ditto any flights & hotels.

Ditto most, but not all, excursions - but by the time you're ready to book you'll know where you're going & have an idea of what can be done independently.

All kids are into animals, but will kids of that age be interested in archaeology?

Probably best not to overdose on dusty old ruins.

I don't expect the mega-ships to be cruising anywhere except the Caribbean area in January, but there's a wide choice of ships that'll be plenty big enough.

Lots of ships, particularly the big RCI ships, offer great entertainment for teenagers. But you need to dig deeper to choose those which cater well for tots.

From what I've seen, Disney prices are very heavy compared to most cruise lines. Do research value-for-money before booking Disney.

The crew on Italian ships dote on little kids, and offer interesting itineraries. But they're* an acquired taste & probably best avoided for a first cruise. One of the major US lines would be a far better bet for your first cruise.

JB :)

*Edit: it's the Italian ships that are an acquired taste, not little kids :rolleyes:

Further edit: on reflection, both are an acquired taste :D

Edited by John Bull

Haha, no overdosing on archaeology, however I've got a Masters in it, so it's a given they'll be exposed to more moldy ol' heaps of stone than most kids. =)

First, let's clear up your apparent misconcetion: Hawaii is definitely not the Caribbean. There is so much significant history and culture associated with the great Pacific migration of long ago - not to mention the depth of archeological and environmental beauty that marks each island (if you can only do one for a land trip, make it Kauai (including an hour helicopter tour focused on the NaPali Coast).

Someone else posted that 2018 is too far away. Wrong! For best pricing and cabin options, particularly with premium or luxury lines, booking as soon as the itinerary is available is important.

The only real problem with a booking two years out is that many insurers will not issue policies that far in advance (note that Travelex will do up to 2 years ahead). This is important because the policy needs to be purchased within 2-3 weeks after first deposit if you want a waiver of pre-existing conditions.

For some very interesting itineraries, look to the South Pacific (perhaps Lima to Papeete). Though the cruise stops are becoming scarcer (due to difficult tendering), an ideal itinerary would include Easter Island (to see the Moai) and Pitcairin (Mutiny on the Bounty). Oceania has been famous for this itinerary. But, most future cruises are looking like those islands have been traded for Hawaii on runs between Papeete and Los Angeles.

OP: Whatever you do, find a TA who is top producer for the lines you are considering. Their added amenities can account for thousands in value savings.

Haha, no overdosing on archaeology, however I've got a Masters in it, so it's a given they'll be exposed to more moldy ol' heaps of stone than most kids. =)

If you come across cruisemom42 on these forums (mainly European ports), she's heavily into piles of dusty old stones too.;)

I too am a history buff :)

Of sorts.

Anything mechanical, like the birth of the internal combustion engine.

They go back thousands of years too, according to an informative animated TV documentary series called "The Flintstones".

JB :)

First, let's clear up your apparent misconcetion: Hawaii is definitely not the Caribbean. There is so much significant history and culture associated with the great Pacific migration of long ago - not to mention the depth of archeological and environmental beauty that marks each island (if you can only do one for a land trip, make it Kauai (including an hour helicopter tour focused on the NaPali Coast).

Someone else posted that 2018 is too far away. Wrong! For best pricing and cabin options, particularly with premium or luxury lines, booking as soon as the itinerary is available is important.

No misconception--not sure how I gave that impression, lol. I'm aware of both locations' arcaheological significance. Perhaps I would have been more clear had I said "we're NOT beach people." As a result, we lean more toward unique port locations than those with an emphasis on white sand resorts. Not to say either Hawaii or the Caribbean would avoid said sand, but I've got a soft spot for Mayan architecture, so Western Caribbean wins over Hawaii any day.

Easter Island, etc would be fabulous for a 25 year anniversary, but for a 10th with young kids and a single income family, we'll be sticking to the mass market lines out of necessity...which I know means South America is probably out, but maybe if we're lucky we'll swing Panama Canal.

Thanks, all! Sounds like I'd best focus on this year's Western Carib. trip and leave the anniversary booking until 2017.

No misconception--not sure how I gave that impression, lol. I'm aware of both locations' arcaheological significance. Perhaps I would have been more clear had I said "we're NOT beach people." As a result, we lean more toward unique port locations than those with an emphasis on white sand resorts. Not to say either Hawaii or the Caribbean would avoid said sand, but I've got a soft spot for Mayan architecture, so Western Caribbean wins over Hawaii any day.

Easter Island, etc would be fabulous for a 25 year anniversary, but for a 10th with young kids and a single income family, we'll be sticking to the mass market lines out of necessity...which I know means South America is probably out, but maybe if we're lucky we'll swing Panama Canal.

Thanks, all! Sounds like I'd best focus on this year's Western Carib. trip and leave the anniversary booking until 2017.

If you're thinking Panama Canal, you'll have airfare for five. So, don't discount a premium line like Oceania, which includes airfare (plus internet plus a choice of excursions or other amenities) in the cabin price. And with the right TA and itinerary, gratuities may be included (quite a "chunk of change" for a family if five). Do a "net daily rate" comparison of all projected costs between O and mass market and you may be surprised.

Because of the kids, O may not be the best kid-friendly environment. But, shying away from a premium because of first (price) impressions is a big mistake.

As for the Mayans vs the Polynesians, it's not the historical/cultural difference that sets Hawaii apart. On a western Caribbean itinerary, you may have 2-3 ports with archeological or socio-cultural significance. With Hawaii (and much of Polynesia), it will be pretty much every island.

Again, get a great TA and do the math before you jump on any destination.

I think with the ages I would definitely swing Disney if I could, Disney is usually magical at that age. I wish I had taken a Disney one when mine were small. By the time they were older it just wasn't worth the expense. I still might do it one day just to hit their private island which looks gorgeous.

Although I will say I lost a good bit of respect for them when I found out they charge for the popcorn they serve at their outdoor movies. I mean come on for the prices they charge to take their cruises they can't toss in the popcorn that costs them a few cents to make? Really Disney? How cheap can ya get :mad: