Carnival Cruise Line Insurance Question

PatchesJ72

We got an excellent deal with USAA. Under 18 is free. I like their $1 million/pp medical evacuation coverage, Even on board emergency dental treatment. Medical coverage is much higher than the $10K the ships offer.

If Carnival cancels the cruise due to a hurricane, then they may reimburse your cruise fare but it's not a given. They do not have to. You would also be out any airfare and other expenses you incurred. I would highly recommend insurance through a third party. InsureMyTrip is a great place to start.

If that ever happened and I doubt it would that would be a no brainer to contest the charges with your credit card company.

Since they didn't provide services for which you paid you'd get paid back by the credit card company.

Bill

If that ever happened and I doubt it would that would be a no brainer to contest the charges with your credit card company.

Since they didn't provide services for which you paid you'd get paid back by the credit card company.

Bill

Not everyone pays with a credit card.

Carnival has been good about refunding fares in the past so they probably would, but there's still the fact that you would be out any airfare and other things that are nonrefundable/have change fees. They will not reimburse you for any of those. Same as if you miss a connection due to weather, mechanical, etc and can't get to the ship on time. Hurricane season oftentimes means rain for a large part of the country and delays can happen quickly and for hours.

Not to mention all the sad sob stories you hear about so and so getting sick or a family member dying and now they can't take the cruise and somehow feel that Carnival should give them their money back or let them pick a different cruise later on. I call BS. If you're not smart enough to protect your investment, then you deserve nothing.

So the bottom line is get insurance. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Your cost quote is a little misleading.....outside trip insurance coverage costs are dependent on age, cost of trip and length of trip as well as "what" you are covering. We are in our 60's and for 2 of us for 7 days we pay substantially MORE than $100....more like triple that amount....but we don't travel without it!

To the OP, you need to research the options and coverages and what you want covered....the prices vary greatly depending on "primary" (meaning that the trip insurance pays a claim FIRST) and "secondary" (meaning your own insurance covers first, then the trip insurance kicks in) coverage as well as noting WHAT is covered in each policy.

Just relating my personal experience, not making a blanket declaration. My husband and I are in our 50's, and we have two teenaged sons. We found insurance options more expensive as well as less. There are many viable options which cover a multitude of scenarios, with almost all covering cancellation due to unforeseen, documentable emergency situations. Clear enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app