Carnival's questions on booking and docs

miska5298

Hi!

We are new members to the cruise critic community and have a few questions.

My husb and I have cruised 5 other times many years ago, but this is the first time with our kids (boy 15y, twin girls, 10y)

We want to go on Carnival to the Bahamas, 4 days out of a Florida port at the end of June or during July.

1. Do we NEED a passport? If not, what do we need? We all have Birth Certificates but the girls, 10yo, don't have a picture ID.

2. Has anyone ever just went to the port the day of cruising and got on? We can be very spontaneous and didn't know if we'd get a great deal on the cruise if we did it this way? We would want a ocean view though.

3. I know some people can fit 5 in a cabin but how tight is it really? Not against getting 2 cabins but trying to keep costs down.

Thanks in advance!

Well you definitely need birth certificates. But you also will need photo ID. Why not get your children a non-driver's license. I use that for my daughter. If you plan on doing a lot of cruising and/or traveling it's a good idea to get the passport. They last 10 years.

With Homeland Security being the way it is now you can't just go to the port and board a cruise ship any more.

I'm not sure about the 5 in a cabin but i'm thinking it's 4 tops. I'm sure another poster will be able to help you out there.

I think you are ok with birth certificates but passports are always a good idea.

You can't just show up and get on a boat. I think they need at least 48 hours because the information has to go to homeland security.

I have seen videos of cabins holding 5 people but I wouldn't do it. Especially with kids that age. Very young children yes, but not with teens and pre teens

Also booking very last minute your likely to not have much choice of cabins. So you may not have the choice of a cabin that sleeps 5 or even 2 cabins close together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1. Do we NEED a passport? If not, what do we need? We all have Birth Certificates but the girls, 10yo, don't have a picture ID. Need? No. But get them anyway.

2. Has anyone ever just went to the port the day of cruising and got on? We can be very spontaneous and didn't know if we'd get a great deal on the cruise if we did it this way? We would want a ocean view though. Not possible.

3. I know some people can fit 5 in a cabin but how tight is it really? Not against getting 2 cabins but trying to keep costs down. Would be crowded...185 sq. ft.

Everyone definitely answered the 1st two questions, but I wanted to respond to the third question...we only have 2 kids and have booked the connecting staterooms before where they have their own room with bathroom and so do we. We always kept the door in between the rooms open at all times and it worked great in regards to us 4 having plenty of space. But you would certainly have to book early enough to be able to choose those rooms as I believe they seem to go pretty easily sometimes.

Hi!

My husb and I have cruised 5 other times many years ago, but this is the first time with our kids (boy 15y, twin girls, 10y)

We want to go on Carnival to the Bahamas, 4 days out of a Florida port at the end of June or during July.

1. Do we NEED a passport? If not, what do we need? We all have Birth Certificates but the girls, 10yo, don't have a picture ID.

2. Has anyone ever just went to the port the day of cruising and got on? We can be very spontaneous and didn't know if we'd get a great deal on the cruise if we did it this way? We would want a ocean view though.

3. I know some people can fit 5 in a cabin but how tight is it really? Not against getting 2 cabins but trying to keep costs down.

Thanks in advance!

Under 16 yrs. of age does not require photo ID. Where do you plan to cruise to? Hopefully you have no issues and don't need those passports to get back home.

Virtually impossible to get on a ship's manifest for a same day sailing. Not in this day and age. Not something to plan the vacation around.

5 in a cabin?! Would never attempt it. You will also be hard pressed to find a cabin that will hold 5. And when you do it will probably be a family suite and those are almost all on newer ships. You won't realize much, if any, savings over 2 less expensive cabins.

Oh Ok, thanks for the feedback. It's just 4 days to the Bahamas. I knew things changed but want sure what? It makes sense about Homeland and I know we want to start cruising more so I will get passports eventually. I'm finding that for 5 of us, it'll be about 660.

So I can just get the girls a state issued ID card? And they'd be good along with their birth certificate for this time?

You're so right about the cabin. We had friends do the 5 in a cabin and they had 3 teenagers but I wasn't so sure about that. That's why we thought we'd just "rough it" for this first cruise with the kids and we can decide next time if we needed 2 cabins. Plus it adds so much for another cabin.

Edited by miska5298

So I can just get the girls a state issued ID card? And they'd be good along with their birth certificate for this time?

No, you don't have to do that. If a minor is under 16, he or she does not need a government issued photo ID to cruise. Just a birth certificate.

It is SO too bad that CC members cannot address a few questions without putting their own personal spin on things....:(

I hope you have been able to sort through the flak and find the real answers.

Let me add mine to the mix.....

Hi!

US citizens can make this trip with only an official birth certificate and photo ID (adults). Children under 16 do not need the photo ID.

Cabins can be booked on the sail date but only by using a travel agent or calling Carnival directly. Passenger manifests are required by CBP approx. 1 hr before sailing.

5 in a cabin is available on a few ships, or in some suites. A second cabin seems like a preferable choice.

Edited by thinfool

We are a family of 5 and haves cruised with Carnival in one stateroom with no issues. Both times we were on the Victory (2 beds pushed together to form a king, upper bunk, sofa that converted to a single). A trundle would have been brought in if needed but our youngest just slept with us. We are fine sharing close quarters, and it makes cruising affordable for us. The older Carnival ships offer regular staterooms for up to 5. Ex: Paradise, Sensation, Imagination, Elation, Victory, Inspiration etc....

For this upcoming cruise my oldest will be 16 and for the first time will require a picture ID as well as a birth certificate.

Have fun cruising with your kids! They grow too fast......

You're so right about the cabin. We had friends do the 5 in a cabin and they had 3 teenagers but I wasn't so sure about that. That's why we thought we'd just "rough it" for this first cruise with the kids and we can decide next time if we needed 2 cabins. Plus it adds so much for another cabin.

Not necessarily, sometimes it isn't much more to split the five occupants into two cabins instead of cramming them all into one. (Unless they are having one of the more the merrier sales.)