Considering MSC - Drink package question

BethV114

We are looking at booking MSC Divina, Aurea experience next spring. We are completely new to MSC. Once on board, will we be able to upgrade to the ultimate drink package if we would like? If so, what is the approximate cost per day. On our most recent Celebrity cruise, we had the classic drink package included in our fare and found it worthwhile to upgrade to their ultimate drink package, both for the adults and the children.

Thank you!

As long as MSC won't change their policy about this, you would have to pay the full price for it.

Wow. That seems really crappy of MSC!

What part seems crappy? You get a discount if you book ahead. Standard practice, really.

What part seems crappy? You get a discount if you book ahead. Standard practice, really.

Well (these numbers are made up, simply for example) if you have a basic drinks package included in your cruise which would otherwise cost €20/person/day and the premium version normally costs €45/person/day, it seems crappy that they don't let you pay an additional €25/person/day on board to upgrade.

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do this and I'd wager they make money on it. Many people like the convenience of not having to think about what's included and what's not, so a premium package makes a lot of sense.

As it stands, paying €45/person/day for a premium package would seem like a waste of an included €20/person/day package, and would make people think twice about upgrading. Especially seeing as these 'free' packages are never ever free but simply included in the pricing.

Well (these numbers are made up, simply for example) if you have a basic drinks package included in your cruise which would otherwise cost €20/person/day and the premium version normally costs €45/person/day, it seems crappy that they don't let you pay an additional €25/person/day on board to upgrade.

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do this and I'd wager they make money on it. Many people like the convenience of not having to think about what's included and what's not, so a premium package makes a lot of sense.

As it stands, paying €45/person/day for a premium package would seem like a waste of an included €20/person/day package, and would make people think twice about upgrading. Especially seeing as these 'free' packages are never ever free but simply included in the pricing.

On my recent cruise I had an aurea cabin which includes the Allegrissimo package as part of the price. The difference in price between the my cabin and a fantastica cabin (same cabin no drinks package) worked out to be £12 per day this was without making an allowance for the free massage that comes with the aurea cabin as it will make a variable difference depending on the length of the cruise.

As the drinks package would normally have cost £20 per day what would MSC charge for the upgrade the premium price minus £20, or, the premium price minus £12 per day, or something in between.

On my recent cruise I had an aurea cabin which includes the Allegrissimo package as part of the price. The difference in price between the my cabin and a fantastica cabin (same cabin no drinks package) worked out to be £12 per day this was without making an allowance for the free massage that comes with the aurea cabin as it will make a variable difference depending on the length of the cruise.

As the drinks package would normally have cost £20 per day what would MSC charge for the upgrade the premium price minus £20, or, the premium price minus £12 per day, or something in between.

I would probably expect them to do the price difference between the RRP of the included package and the RRP of the more expensive package. That's how Celebrity and Royal Caribbean work it out.

In some respects the same issue applies to the YC included drinks. The value of one of the packages seems much worse when you consider that a large percentage of your drinks are already included.

Don't get me wrong, MSC can do whatever they think makes best business sense. I'm just surprised that this approach is the optimal one in terms of revenue.

Ok. Hmm. That's kind of disappointing to hear that you can't upgrade a beverage package onboard without paying the full package cost. Does anyone know whether it's possible to upgrade the beverage package at booking? We are looking to book next week, so just hoping to gather as much info beforehand as possible.

Thanks again!

Ok. Hmm. That's kind of disappointing to hear that you can't upgrade a beverage package onboard without paying the full package cost. Does anyone know whether it's possible to upgrade the beverage package at booking?

It's just the same, you would have to buy the package at full price.

If you really consider this "upgrade", you should do it in advance (not necessarily at booking, can be done later via your TA or the MSC website) to avoid the 15% service charge being added when buying the package on board.

Anyway, the included package is not that bad - and if you feel the urge for more, just paying for some drinks here or there might be cheaper than the full package.

Edited by RudiRatlos

I hope it's OK if I piggyback another drink package question onto this thread.

We just booked our second MSC sailing (haven't taken the first one yet) and it is in Fantastica. We have two cabins with two people in each. My husband was going to get teh drink package and we ran into everyone in the cabin must book it (which we do understand and I realize is common for many lines) but what seems odd to us is we were told that we all four must buy packages or else we cannot dine at the same table together at dinner (the other cabin is for our kids who will turn 18 and 20 during the cruise).

I find this odd/surprising.

Does it sound right, or could we have had a confused rep on the phone?

I hope it's OK if I piggyback another drink package question onto this thread.

We just booked our second MSC sailing (haven't taken the first one yet) and it is in Fantastica. We have two cabins with two people in each. My husband was going to get teh drink package and we ran into everyone in the cabin must book it (which we do understand and I realize is common for many lines) but what seems odd to us is we were told that we all four must buy packages or else we cannot dine at the same table together at dinner (the other cabin is for our kids who will turn 18 and 20 during the cruise).

I find this odd/surprising.

Does it sound right, or could we have had a confused rep on the phone?

Correct,,,if the 2 staterooms are linked together, all passengers must purchase a drink package if one does. You can un-link the bookings and then ask the dining room maitre de' to seat the 4 of you together,,this way only 2 of your party will need to purchase a drink package if one does,,,:)

Thanks for the quick reply. I have never heard of such a system--I think we'll be better to just buy drinks as we need them, or some of those coupon books. Even on Royal Caribbean, where my status gets me three free drinks per night, I tend to just have one gin and tonic each evening and maybe a Coke or 2 (and if MSC has Pepsi in Europe there is no appeals for me there). My son hardly drinks either.

I'd be afraid to unlink the booking; it is a Christmas sailing and I would worry about not being able to be put together once onboard.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have never heard of such a system--I think we'll be better to just buy drinks as we need them, or some of those coupon books. Even on Royal Caribbean, where my status gets me three free drinks per night, I tend to just have one gin and tonic each evening and maybe a Coke or 2 (and if MSC has Pepsi in Europe there is no appeals for me there). My son hardly drinks either.

I'd be afraid to unlink the booking; it is a Christmas sailing and I would worry about not being able to be put together once onboard.

Perfectly understandable. The vouchers would be perfect!!:)

Another question - I saw in a review some photos of drink menus at the bars. If we book Aurea, am I correct in thinking that our drink package will include all drinks not marked with a red asterisk? If so, then I am totally fine with it. I love the Aperol Spritz - so refreshing! :D

If we book Aurea, am I correct in thinking that our drink package will include all drinks not marked with a red asterisk?

You're right.

The bar lists may not be totally the same in all regions (europe vs. carribean), but afaik Aperol Spritz is included in any available package.

You're right.

The bar lists may not be totally the same in all regions (europe vs. carribean), but afaik Aperol Spritz is included in any available package.

The photos came from a review of Divina in the Caribbean, so they are hopefully pretty in line with what we can expect to see on our cruise. And, if so, then the drink package that comes with our cabin is totally fine. As mentioned, what is included looks to be fairly comprehensive, and I can always pay extra if there is something special that I really need to have.