Recent Alaskan cruisers - how is the weather?

Mel1707

Hi All

We are flying out to Vancouver tomorrow and just want to check what kind clothes we need for our cruise on Sunday.

I was planning on jeans, long sleeve tees, a jacket, a few sweaters, sleeveless vest etc as even though it's summer, the weather (according to my iphone) still seems cold (remember in Brisbane, the coldest we ever get in winter is around 17 or 18 degrees Celsius and 6 or 7 at night - and for us that is freezing!!!)

Thanks

Mel

Just back from Solstice recently.

As everyone says - layers and expect the unexpected.

Our day in Skagway (Grizzly Falls zipwire) we were layered up but were far too warm.

No sunbathing though - swimwear for spa and solarium only.

I was glad I packed my walking boots - (you know the green outdoor type). For sure did not need shorts or many t-shirts.

I was also glad of my woolley bunnet on the catamaran - saw others trying to wrap scarves around their heads.

We bought couple of warm pieces on board - they had ridiculously cheap outerwear which came in handy.

Our day in Skagway (Grizzly Falls zipwire) we were layered up but were far too warm.

I was glad I packed my walking boots - (you know the green outdoor type). For sure did not need shorts or many t-shirts.

I was also glad of my woolley bunnet on the catamaran - saw others trying to wrap scarves around their heads.

We bought couple of warm pieces on board - they had ridiculously cheap outerwear which came in handy.

This isn't a weather question as like yourself we're from Scotland and are used to cold/wet weather and the type of clothing needed. Could you tell me what the procedure was for Victoria regarding passports and how long it took to get off the ship. We're not going till next May but we have much longer in Victoria arriving at noon and are thinking of a private tour.

Sandra

On the other hand, last year and the year before (mid-Julyish) we DID have days that were fine for sunbathing if you're into that. I have clear recollections of sitting out on the pool deck in shorts and a tank top eating burgers, fries, and enjoying beers with friends while docked in Ketchikan (this was on HAL, but weather is weather). They even had the group with the steel drum playing - and it was island music - and we laughed about how random it all was.

Last year (Radiance southbound) we had gorgeous weather - maybe a light jacket to start - on every day except the final day cruising the Inside Passage.

So layers - but be prepared for anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Out of topic, but how was the zip lining? How far was the drive from the ship. My husband and I will be taking this trip in July, and I've never zip lined before. Any info would be helpful.

We cruised 5/5-5/15 and the weather was outstanding! Mid 60's-low 70's with almost no rain whatsoever. Glacier Bay day was stunningly beautiful with clear blue skies and temps in the 40's-50's. We dressed in layers at each port (we used to live in the Caribbean and I'm ALWAYS cold:eek:) and couldn't have wished for better weather..

I'm on Solstice right now, headed for Victoria. My Alaska weather won't be yours, but here's what I experienced.

Almost no rain-- just a sprinkle in Juneau. Now for temps, in port order:

Seattle was warm-- shirtsleeves, or very light jacket.

Ketchikan -- warm. Wore my light rain jacket and didn't need it.

Juneau-- needed layers. On the whale watching excursion really needed them-- wore a t shirt, hoodie, very light down jacket, outer light rain jacket, hat, gloves.

Skagway-- miscalculated and didn't wear enough. Just had t shirt, light hoodie and light rain jacket. Needed another layer.

Victoria-- will see tonight!