Travemunde to Lubeck

We will be on the msZuiderdam. Our itinerary says we will be at Travemunde (Lubeck) on Sat, Aug 6. We haven't been able to find a lot of information about Travemunde and how to get to Lubeck from there. Can anyone advise:

1) I couldn't find much online, but I did find our ship docking at "Skai"...which I then assumed meant "Skandinavienkai". Will we be docking at "Skandinavienkai"? Is that correct or is "Skai" a different terminal?

2) What is the best way to get from there (or wherever we are docking) to Lubeck? Do we have to take a bus into Travemunde and then the train to Lubeck? Or is there a way to get the train from the port?

3) About how much will round-trip ticket be?

4) Do we need euros or can we use credit card? If credit card, is it from a manned-booth or ticket machine?

5) How frequently does the train/bus run?

Any guidance/advice/input would be appreciated!

I can't help with all your questions, but have advice on two of them:

There's a bus running directly from Skandinavien-Kai to Lubeck Hauptbahnhof , from there it is an easy walk into the city centre. It takes about 35 minutes and costs 3.15 Euros p.p. each way, return tickets might be cheaper. Thre will be ticket booths, I think you'll also be able to pay the driver for your ticket. Euros are advisable as you can sometimes pay by credit card/ATM card, sometimes you can't. Small amounts like that are usually paid in cash and small restaurants, icecream-shops ( yummy...) or bakeries don't usually take credit cards. Bus runs quite often, about every half hour.

Lubeck is beautiful, enjoy!

It looks like most of your questions have been answered by Grayjay, but if you need more info, you might post on Travelanni's thread, "Welcome to NE Germany--Happy to Help You Enjoy" (which is currently on Page 2 of this forum). She is a wealth of information about that region.

Enjoy Luebeck--it was one of the highlights of our Baltic cruise last summer.

• 1 year later...

You dock right in the centre of Travemunde. There is a tourist information desk in the terminal who have a handout sheet giving full details of how to get to Lubeck by public transport, both bus and train.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

'Zuiderdam' is too big to dock right in the city center of Travemunde, thus 'Skandinavienkai' is where the ship will dock, as in 2017 and 2016. On the first image of this news report, you can see where smaller cruise ships can dock, you may recognize a ship with yellow funnel beyond the skyscraper in the heart of Travemunde.

I strongly recommend to take cash for visits in Germany, there is no guarantee that you can pay anything with CC, if so at a ticket machine, and more and more elsewhere, your PIN is required.

The best way to get from Travemunde to Lubeck and back with public transport is by train (RB), but there are slowly bus connections as well (BUS). There is a train station right across the pier, but I don't know, whether you will be allowed to just walk over to it. Ticket costs €3.20 per trip, trains depart every hour. From Lubeck central station, everything is in walkable distance, but there is also bus service.

'Zuiderdam' is too big to dock right in the city center of Travemunde, thus 'Skandinavienkai' is where the ship will dock, as in 2017 and 2016. On the first image of this news report, you can see where smaller cruise ships can dock, you may recognize a ship with yellow funnel beyond the skyscraper in the heart of Travemunde.

I strongly recommend to take cash for visits in Germany, there is no guarantee that you can pay anything with CC, if so at a ticket machine, and more and more elsewhere, your PIN is required.

The best way to get from Travemunde to Lubeck and back with public transport is by train (RB), but there are slowly bus connections as well (BUS). There is a train station right across the pier, but I don't know, whether you will be allowed to just walk over to it. Ticket costs €3.20 per trip, trains depart every hour. From Lubeck central station, everything is in walkable distance, but there is also bus service.

Thanks very much for this detailed information - very helpful. I will take more euros with me now as was going to use CC, will come in useful elsewhere too. Thanks again.

Thanks very much for this detailed information - very helpful. I will take more euros with me now as was going to use CC, will come in useful elsewhere too. Thanks again.

Last summer on the Zuiderdam we docked in Kiel and took the train to Lubeck. We would never do that again. While train was pleasant and easy we did not find it worth the trip. People that stayed in Kiel had a better time. We also had a very close call in lubeck. We got on the train with plenty of time to spare for arrival back at the port. After the train got to the first stop it didn’t move. After 20 minutes there was an announcement in German. We were 3 couples. We struggled to find someone to translate for us. Less people speak English once you leave the tourist area. A tree had fallen across the track. To make a long story short, the train went back to Lubeck. We had to take a taxi back to Kiel for $200. But that was not the end. The taxi couldn’t take the highway cause when he approached the entrancethe hwy was closed. Had to take back roads. Got to the ship 15 minutes before shipping out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My advice is to take the local bus (the tourist folks will be there when you get off the ship and can give you directions/info). You will need some Euros (always good to have in Europe) which you can easily get out of an ATM.

Hank