Hotel Near Viking Pier in Amsterdam?

yogimax

How near?n How reasonable?

Do you want to walk with your baggage from hotel to boat, or thinking short taxi ride?

If second, Amsterdam is pretty compact.

Yes, either a walk or short taxi ride.

What are your recommendations?

OK, two issues

1) Viking seem to have three possible docking locations

De Ruijterkade (A), a 10-minute walk from the Central Train Station. Alternative locations are the PTA Terminal (B) or Javakade ©

If your tour uses A then that's easily walkable from Centraal station

2) Hotels nearest Centraal Station are more expensive - two closest (couple minutes walk) are

NH Barbizon Palace

Park Plaza Victoria

Since you don't board until lunchtime (to get the free lunch :) and cabins aren't guaranteed available until 15:00 there's no real hurry. So you could stay at a less expensive hotel further out and use tram (cheap) to Centraal Station or taxi to boat (not expensive).

There's a huge choice of accommodation in Amsterdam. My most recent trip I stayed at Golden Tulip Amsterdam West which is 10 minutes by train from Schipol Airport (+10 minutes walk from station to hotel) and same again to Centraal Station, though the tram stop is closer. But burdened by cases I'd suggest a taxi to take you direct to boat.

Edited by pontac

I would plan to stay some where centrally located to enjoy the city and then just take a taxi to your pier. For our cruise, we were given a couple of possible locations in our boarding documents. We called from the hotel that morning to see where they were and it was a completely different location about 15 min outside the city center. The docking is up to the harbor master at the time the ship arrives, so you really don't know where the ship is going to be the morning of embarkation.

I agree with GACRUISER456's post above. Find a hotel which is near the places you want to visit. You will not know where your ship will be docked until the morning of the cruise when you call your ship to find the right location. Even Viking does not know this in advance, it is up to the River Authority where each ship will dock.

We were docked at Coenhaven, which was quite a taxi ride away. I'm glad we did not reserve a hotel based on being within walking distance of Central Station.

I would recommend, in addition to the suggestions by other posters, that you go to the Amsterdam site on Trip Advisor, and click on "FORUMS", not on "HOTELS". On the Forums site you will get the advice of local experts as well as tourists, and these locals are very helpful.