Anthem 9nt,Starboard or Port side?

The answer to this might be, it doesn't matter a lick, lol, but for the first time we might spring for a balcony cabin and I thought maybe one side is better than the other when it comes to interesting/better views while docking/in port, etc.

This cruise goes to PR, Haiti, St Maarten and Bermuda. Any takers? TIA

There's really no rhyme or reason to how any ship will dock in any given port. Sometimes it is on the port side, sometimes starboard. Sometimes you may back into the berth and sometimes you may go straight in. It varies based on berth availability, prevailing/forecast weather conditions, harbor pilot's recommendation and Captain's discretion.

6 in one hand, half a dozen the other. Take your pick.

Edited by stobe1

Both sides are equal....sometimes, the ship pulls into port..sometimes, it backs in...sometimes, you're berthed beside another ship....there is no "better" side. When docked, you're in a harbor with views all around!

On our 12 day Anthem cruise, if my DH and I remember correctly, we had a balcony on the port side and visited 6 ports. We never saw the gangway area, all we saw was mostly water. No complaints here, just our experiences to try to answer your question.;)

The answer to this might be, it doesn't matter a lick, lol, but for the first time we might spring for a balcony cabin and I thought maybe one side is better than the other when it comes to interesting/better views while docking/in port, etc.

This cruise goes to PR, Haiti, St Maarten and Bermuda. Any takers? TIA

Three out of your four ports, we docked on the starboard side, St Maarten, we docked on the port side.

I don't worry about port views when choosing. You can't predict which side the captain/pilot will choose to dock on. The "better" side may be different in each port anyway. On sea days, the ocean is the view on both sides.

I prefer to choose cabins in (hopefully) "quiet" areas mid ship or aft (we sense more motion in the front).

Just be aware of the smoking area on starboard side, deck 5, near 270 entrance. Also, the deck 14 smoking area under the movie screen on port side. We chose our cabins on the port forward section to avoid any possibility of second-hand smoke. Other than the smoke, port or starboard is equal, unless you are on a TA cruise.

Just be aware of the smoking area on starboard side, deck 5, near 270 entrance. Also, the deck 14 smoking area under the movie screen on port side. We chose our cabins on the port forward section to avoid any possibility of second-hand smoke. Other than the smoke, port or starboard is equal, unless you are on a TA cruise.

Now THAT is some great info because yes, that would bother me. (grew up with a parent who smoked so now lungs are very sensitive to it. Not to mention the headaches from the smell. :rolleyes:) But what are TA cruises? I assume travel agent? Why does that make a difference? :)

And thank you to everyone else who replied. We have done the 9 nt on Explorer and I believe both times we would come into port the same way. But can't remember which side for all the ports. We kind of like to watch them come in. We are one of those families that will go out on deck to watch but I remember thinking it sure would be nice to be able to get ready at a slow pace but still be able to peek at the docking process, etc.

I do remember leaving PR and wanting to be on the starboard side. I sat on the deck for an hour watching us pull away from San Juan and taking pics. Loved that.

Now THAT is some great info because yes, that would bother me. (grew up with a parent who smoked so now lungs are very sensitive to it. Not to mention the headaches from the smell. :rolleyes:) But what are TA cruises? I assume travel agent? Why does that make a difference? :)

And thank you to everyone else who replied. We have done the 9 nt on Explorer and I believe both times we would come into port the same way. But can't remember which side for all the ports. We kind of like to watch them come in. We are one of those families that will go out on deck to watch but I remember thinking it sure would be nice to be able to get ready at a slow pace but still be able to peek at the docking process, etc.

I do remember leaving PR and wanting to be on the starboard side. I sat on the deck for an hour watching us pull away from San Juan and taking pics. Loved that.

TA = Trans Atlantic