Forward, Aft or Midship for best Internet?

jiminyC_fan

Before anyone tells me that it is a vacation and to stay off the computer it is not a luxury for us. Our grandson has severe Epilepsy so it is mandatory for us to stay in contact with the family. I know on the Viking River Cruises the best cabins for the internet were midship. We will probably go with a DV category but trying to figure out the best location for us to get Internet in our cabin. It's a little more private to Face Time in our room. From there, we should be able to figure out which DV 1-4.

Another question is location. We were offered a room directly across from the laundry room. We have done that on prior ocean cruises and won't do it again. Is it bad with Viking?

Thank you for your help!

I didn't know the position of your cabin on the ship makes a difference in internet quality! We were on Deck 3 way in the aft and I had no trouble texting with my kids back home. The speed was just fine. That's all I used the computer for, though. Well except for checking on Cruise Critic every now and then. ;)

As to being across from the laundry? I'd pass on that one. That corridor could get pretty busy and while everyone was respectful of nearby cabins in terms of not speaking too loudly (at least on our cruise but I expect every other one would be pretty much the same), there are still people coming and going above and beyond the foot traffic that other corridors get.

There is good internet access throughout the ship. You will find they have routers located very frequently - even halfway down the corridors. You would have to be very unlucky to find a "blackspot" for reception.

Although we didn't have a cabin near a laundry, we spoke with passengers who did and they said they hardly ever noticed any noise from comings and goings or just laundry room chatting. If you really wanted to be mid-ships then it should be OK.

On board now. Finding WiFi speed depends more on the location of the ship itself rather than my position on the ship. We are currently in the North Sea as we do "into the Midnight sun" and at sea service seems just a bit slower at time .

Good to know. I know on our river cruise the aft cabins were getting spotty Internet.

Thanks for your thought on the cabin across from the Laundry Room.

We were on the "maiden voyage" from Istanbul to Venice last year and we will be doing the Venice to Barcelona segment this October. Our friends had a cabin almost directly across from the laundry on deck 3 and didn't notice any noise from the laundry. We were very far aft on 3 and had good connectivity on our Wi-Fi.

Becki

On board now. Finding WiFi speed depends more on the location of the ship itself rather than my position on the ship. We are currently in the North Sea as we do "into the Midnight sun" and at sea service seems just a bit slower at time .

I'd be curious to hear what it's like when you get way up in Norway. Also, if you happen to notice which port terminals up there have free WiFi, I'd love to know that as well for our 2017 Midnight Sun cruise. (Maybe you could post an answer on your Roll Call later in the cruise if you have time? I only check other posts about once a week, so may not see a response here. Thanks!)

Don't ever take a cruise way out in the middle of the Pacific - aargh, very, very spotty for days at a time!

Thank you everyone. We were assigned another cabin and it seems better. It is 4087 if anyone has had that room.

We were just one floor down and across the corridor, in 3088. I thought it was a great location. Quiet but close to the public spaces; restaurants, pools, etc. Only a few decks down to the theater for excursion departures.

Becki

We were just one floor down and across the corridor, in 3088. I thought it was a great location. Quiet but close to the public spaces; restaurants, pools, etc. Only a few decks down to the theater for excursion departures.

Becki

Wonderful news. Thanks Becki!

Returned from Into the Midnight Sun last week. I agree with others that internet coverage was pretty uniform where ever we were on the ship, but there were periods when there was no internet connection anywhere on the ship. The wifi itself was always there, just not always connected externally.

Our stateroom was midship on deck 5, but on the opposite side from the laundry. Although this surely isn't definitive, I didn't overhear any complaints about noise from the laundry during the cruise.