Help with an Alaska Southbound Radiance OTS Cruise.

Hello my CC experts. Looking for some input regarding opinions on the different transportation available from Anchorage to Seward. There will be 4 of us and we are really eyeballing taking the train. However, I am somewhat confused. Does the train run twice a day from Anchorage to Seward? In talking with an RCCL Rep, they say the train leaves Anchorage around 11AM. However, every place I have found on the internet referencing the Anchorage to Seward train indicates it leaves at 6:30AM. Help ......

Hello my CC experts. Looking for some input regarding opinions on the different transportation available from Anchorage to Seward. There will be 4 of us and we are really eyeballing taking the train. However, I am somewhat confused. Does the train run twice a day from Anchorage to Seward? In talking with an RCCL Rep, they say the train leaves Anchorage around 11AM. However, every place I have found on the internet referencing the Anchorage to Seward train indicates it leaves at 6:30AM. Help ......

The RCI cruise train transfer does leave ANC between 11:30am and noon....We have taken this train from Seward to ANC and it arrived right to ANC at 11:30am...and there were indeed many cruiser's waiting to get on this train that turns around and goes back to Seward and arrives right next to where the ship is docked. What you might be seeing is the regular train and not the cruise contracted one.

Edited by Ashland

Gotta say, after a quick Google search, that I agree with your findings. All I can find is the itinerary that leaves Anchorage at 6:40 am.

http://www.alaskatravel.com/alaska-railroad/anchorage-seward.html

We did the ROTS Southbound last August and took the RCCL transfer via bus. It was quite a bit more expensive that arranging it independently but the service at the airport was impeccable. If RCCL offers a train transfer, maybe it is exclusive and leaves later in the day. Booking through the cruise line might be your only option - at any price.

Edited by ronandannette

It was August 2011 when we did this cruise. I believe our only option was the 6:30 options (or thereabouts). We really enjoyed the train option. We stayed overnight and took a Northwestern Fjord Tour excursion the following day (9 hours) and it was one of the best excursions we ever took (and we've been on many). Our hotel was a stones throw from the excursions (and the ship), and they picked us up at the crack of dawn with our luggage and then dropped off our luggage at the ship around 11 a.m. We were dropped off around 5-6 and were one of the last to board and found our bags already in our room.

We had a private muster with a few others later. I have heard they no longer allow that (since COSTA). Too bad, as I said it was a great excursion through Kanai Fjords Tours

I was a glutton for punishment when I did Alaska in 2014. Was doing the pre cruise tour, but in Anchorage broke off from it. Wound up doing the early morning train to Seward.

Even not being in the domed train car it was nice. I would definitely to it again if given the opportunity.

Added:

There were buses going from the train stop to the ship. Was no more than a 5 minute bus ride.

Edited by chandom

Gotta say, after a quick Google search, that I agree with your findings. All I can find is the itinerary that leaves Anchorage at 6:40 am.

http://www.alaskatravel.com/alaska-railroad/anchorage-seward.html

We did the ROTS Southbound last August and took the RCCL transfer via bus. It was quite a bit more expensive that arranging it independently but the service at the airport was impeccable. If RCCL offers a train transfer, maybe it is exclusive and leaves later in the day. Booking through the cruise line might be your only option - at any price.

You might try google the "Grandview Cruise Train" this is the train that I have used....It can only be booked through your cruieline as the transfer train option...you can't book it independently. And if you are flying home on the end of cruise day you can't have a flight leaving ANC any earlier than 2:30pm.

When we have had a flight booked any earlier we have used:

http://www.alaskacruisetransfer.com a private bus company with great rates and wonderful service.

We did the early morning train and also stayed at the Seward Lodge for 2 nights prior to the cruise. By taking the early train we had time to do the tour of the Exit Glacier from the lodge that afternoon. The next day we had the whole day to do a whale watching tour from the marina.

The scenery during the train ride is spectacular. Keep your eyes out for wildlife. We saw a couple of moose during the ride.

• 6 months later...
The RCI cruise train transfer does leave ANC between 11:30am and noon....We have taken this train from Seward to ANC and it arrived right to ANC at 11:30am...and there were indeed many cruiser's waiting to get on this train that turns around and goes back to Seward and arrives right next to where the ship is docked. What you might be seeing is the regular train and not the cruise contracted one.

As we gradually get closer to cruise time, I am revisiting this train schedule thing. I apologize for revisiting/asking another question, but you referenced ANC in your post. With my aviation background, I take that as the train arrives at the Anchorage International Airport Alaska Railroad Station. Is that a good assumption on my part?

As we gradually get closer to cruise time, I am revisiting this train schedule thing. I apologize for revisiting/asking another question, but you referenced ANC in your post. With my aviation background, I take that as the train arrives at the Anchorage International Airport Alaska Railroad Station. Is that a good assumption on my part?

Yes, for RCI contracted train transfers only. When the train goes back to Seward,

it picks up pax that have booked transport on their own, for the return to the regular

downtown station in Anchorage, leaving again at 6 pm (the one we were on for our return).

Then had to take a taxi to the airport late that night.

Coming off of Radiance, we were able to check our luggage at the train station around

1 pm, then had the rest of the afternoon to walk around and enjoy Seward until we

boarded at 6 pm.

Edited by island lady