panama canal

JP1947

I was reading last night that at this point there is only one ship scheduled to sail through the new canal.

"Princess Cruises' Caribbean Princess is scheduled to make a series of thirteen 10-day cruises through the canal beginning Oct. 21, 2017."

"Only one cruise ship has reserved space to move through the new locks, which are open to one cruise ship a day starting in June 2017, according to the Panama Canal Authority."

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Just-one-cruise-ship-scheduled-to-use-new-Panama-Canal-locks

The only ship to transit today is the Cosco Shipping Panama for the inauguration of the expansion, which is what was originally planned. Regular transits through the expanded locks will begin on Monday. They are going to permit up to four neo-Panamax vessels to transit initially and work up to the projected 12 daily transits. Even though it is an inaugural transit, it is not on the house... today's transit costs $586,000!

The Caribbean Princess has the first reservation, but it is possible another neo-Panamax ship could book a slot and transit before then. If they are not accepting larger passenger ships until June, then it is quite possible the Caribbean Princess may be the first.

Considering how far behind schedule they are, it doesn't surprise me that the cruise lines did not rush to schedule ships through the new locks.

I give it a year or two and they may. It will be pricy though!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk