Eclipsing Northern Europe by cruise : Basic black , and Baltic blues

scubacruiserx2

While we have only cruised twice with them (Caribbean and South America ) the groups which we have seen on Princess ( 5 cruises ) and Celebrity ( 3 long cruises ) seemed to be older then those found on our HAL cruises . :eek:

I would think logically that it would really depend on the length and itinerary of the cruise.

A 4 day cruise would have a demographic that is much younger than a 7 day cruise, which is much younger again than the 28 day cruise. Likewise for itinerary, transatlantics and such attract older crowds than 7 day island hopping.:D

I would think logically that it would really depend on the length and itinerary of the cruise.

A 4 day cruise would have a demographic that is much younger than a 7 day cruise, which is much younger again than the 28 day cruise. Likewise for itinerary, transatlantics and such attract older crowds than 7 day island hopping.:D

All of our Celebrity cruises were 2 weeks + , so that's our only point of reference , but all our Princess cruises were 7 days or less . While it may not be generally true of Celebrity with 7 days or less , it certainly was true of all our Princess cruises from Port Everglades .

While we have only cruised twice with them (Caribbean and South America ) the groups which we have seen on Princess ( 5 cruises ) and Celebrity ( 3 long cruises ) seemed to be older then those found on our HAL cruises . :eek:

That's nice to hear, and I'm sure the South America one was not a short one either.

Everything I've read it seems that HAL is trying to accent toward a younger demographic and perhaps they are succeeding. We have friends that swear by them...we have one in Alaska and a Canal trip planned for 2017 with them now, and are hopeful we will enjoy them both!!:)

Oh...about Antarctica, those same friends debated and debated last year about whether to take a HAL cruise that went there or bite the bullet and spring for a Seabourn expedition cruise which had landings with Kodiaks for I believe it was 7 or 8 days in various spots....and they said it was the BEST trip they have ever taken, worth the money and no regrets at all....so start saving those pennies!!! :D

That's nice to hear, and I'm sure the South America one was not a short one either.

Everything I've read it seems that HAL is trying to accent toward a younger demographic and perhaps they are succeeding. We have friends that swear by them...we have one in Alaska and a Canal trip planned for 2017 with them now, and are hopeful we will enjoy them both!!:)

Oh...about Antarctica, those same friends debated and debated last year about whether to take a HAL cruise that went there or bite the bullet and spring for a Seabourn expedition cruise which had landings with Kodiaks for I believe it was 7 or 8 days in various spots....and they said it was the BEST trip they have ever taken, worth the money and no regrets at all....so start saving those pennies!!! :D

I have friends that have done the expeditions as well and they said it was worth it as well, but I suppose it all comes down to your priorities and how much you want to get into zodiacs and stand on the ice, etc.

I have friends that have done the expeditions as well and they said it was worth it as well, but I suppose it all comes down to your priorities and how much you want to get into zodiacs and stand on the ice, etc.

and walk among the penquins, sea lions and various other wild life....in our friends case it made the whole trip worthwhile.....all about what you want in your travels....:)

and walk among the penquins, sea lions and various other wild life....in our friends case it made the whole trip worthwhile.....all about what you want in your travels....:)

We did that as well out of Ushuaia and Mortella Island, as well as the Falkland Islands and for the sea lions there was Puerto Madryn . Lots of sea life in the waters and on icebergs that the ship gets very close to.

As this point we are saving money and are considering all of our options . We may do some dummy booking of flights this year in preparation for next year . We are also watching price changes in cruises this year which can be significant if booked closer to the departure date . And so it may be Australia or an Antarctica landing with Seaborne or Australia and circle Antarctica . Thus we will find out next year where we are going based on who's willing to work with us .

As this point we are saving money and are considering all of our options . We may do some dummy booking of flights this year in preparation for next year . We are also watching price changes in cruises this year which can be significant if booked closer to the departure date . And so it may be Australia or an Antarctica landing with Seaborne or Australia and circle Antarctica . Thus we will find out next year where we are going based on who's willing to work with us .

Now THAT is a pictorial review that I can't wait to see/read!!!!:D

Now THAT is a pictorial review that I can't wait to see/read!!!!:D

We look forward to doing it and sharing it . Please forgive my memory lapse , but have you seen our South American cruise on HAL ? It was my favorite cruise for nature .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1958814

1d67f26f-b8fb-417d-a238-452f56c498f9_zpsrvebj83w.jpg

Our last supper on the Eclipse

Tyler's favorite app - Shrimp Cocktail

DSC06590_zpsdcfnylhy.jpg

DSC06592_zpsbfkjtazq.jpg

Ty's favorite dessert - Chocolate cake and ice cream

DSC06595_zpsorfpnbdi.jpg

DSC06594_zpsgang1owc.jpg

Olman and Joseph made this cruise and dinner very special to us .

e47c62d2-37c4-4632-b7f9-4e2b2472ffe2_zpsyvcdzlsv.jpg

And our last Celebrity today

DSC06598_zpsuxtmu1bj.jpg

We look forward to doing it and sharing it . Please forgive my memory lapse , but have you seen our South American cruise on HAL ? It was my favorite cruise for nature .

]

No we have not seen that review, thanks for the link. It will help in our decisions on which cruise(s) to take in South America.....which is another bucket list item for us!!:)

It was strange looking at your photos of the ocean view while sitting there.

FYI, Sushi on five is having a crew soft opening this week and will be open to guests next. We were having lunch in BO5 a couple of days ago as they changed the signage. :D

No we have not seen that review, thanks for the link. It will help in our decisions on which cruise(s) to take in South America.....which is another bucket list item for us!!:)

Likewise, I started looking at it last night. The landscape photos are absolutely wonderful.:D

If you go you may want to consider Aerolineas Argentinas non stop from Miami to BA . Both of our flights were in the day , no red eyes ! On our previous trip we flew in and out of Santiago and both of our flights were overnights :p

It was strange looking at your photos of the ocean view while sitting there.

FYI, Sushi on five is having a crew soft opening this week and will be open to guests next. We were having lunch in BO5 a couple of days ago as they changed the signage. :D

Deja vu in Nice ? Thank you Larry for the update and taking time from your vacation to share that news . And we hope that you enjoy your cruise . :) :D

1d67f26f-b8fb-417d-a238-452f56c498f9_zpsrvebj83w.jpg

Joe-and one of my favorite cruises as a reader. Mouthwatering itinerary thanks to the evocative photos. It had to have been exciting just to wake up each morning knowing that the day would bring many scenic surprises.

Kudos,

Norris

Joe-and one of my favorite cruises as a reader. Mouthwatering itinerary thanks to the evocative photos. It had to have been exciting just to wake up each morning knowing that the day would bring many scenic surprises.

Kudos,

Norris

Thank you Norris , the beauty of Patagonia was overwhelming and I spent a lot of time enraptured as we cruised through the Glacier Alley with the beautiful weather which we were experiencing at that time . But it's not always that way there , and it can change suddenly and dramatically . :eek:

While they are beautiful, they are not as glacial or dramatic, the NZ fjords are more like Norways.

Thank you for sharing that Mic . I suspect that they possess their own kind beauty , like my wife . She was beautiful when she was young lady, and she still is as a mature woman . We may be needing your help and insight as we consider visiting NZ and Australia .

I have just finished reading the SA review and loved all the photos, a marvellous thread on a fantastic trip. :D

And thank's again Mic for your very kind words . Reading my threads are testament to your perseverance as the're not particularly well written . Thank heaven for the photos , HAL for the cruise and Daniel and Sarah from Sydney and Michel and Anna from Moscow for their companionship in sharing the cruise and their ongoing friendship .

Likewise, I started looking at it last night. The landscape photos are absolutely wonderful.:D

I'm about half way through...yes they are....as Joe says....so many cruises...so little money!!! But this one is moving up the "list"

If you go you may want to consider Aerolineas Argentinas non stop from Miami to BA . Both of our flights were in the day , no red eyes ! On our previous trip we flew in and out of Santiago and both of our flights were overnights :p

Thanks for the tip!!:)

I'm about half way through...yes they are....as Joe says....so many cruises...so little money!!! But this one is moving up the "list"

Thanks for the tip!!:)

They did switch times ( delayed ) on both flights , but we still preferred flying later in the day instead of double overnight flights like our first trip there .