First Cruise in Asia

Mary2565

Thanks Lahore,

We arrive around 3.30pm and leave about 10.30pm.

Would it be good to use a HO HO bus to get around. But a taxi does not sound to expensive.

I was thinking night markets to buy t-shirts, children's clothing, jewellery (not expensive), perfume. Maybe there is somewhere better to shop for this type of things. I would like your advise.

We like to look at some historical buildings, but not interested in temples. I like the idea of eating at Hawker stalls. We don't like to stop for to long at any one place. Maybe sit for about 30mins over a cocktail or a coffee.

So if you could suggest places for shopping and a place to wander to look at buildings and eat a little along the way and a nice place to stop for a drink that would be excellent.

Thank you so much. Hope your hand gets better soon.

Wendy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by BrisQld

We are on the same Azamara cruise as you - we're not beach people either but this would be right up our alley too.

I looked up a few cooking classes at Ko Samui and didn't find any that fit our timing. We're not in port very long and we get in early (I think it's 8-2?) Most of the classes I found were 11am or 12pm and last 2-3 hours, which would be impossible and/or a very tight fit at best. So we've decided we're just going to explore around the port (Na Thon?) and eat (said to be known for seafood), maybe get a foot massage.

Definitely doing food tours and/or cooking classes in SIN, HKG & SGN. Once we decide on the SGN option, I'll try to remember to post in our Roll Call to see if anyone else is interested:D

Thanks Lahore,

We arrive around 3.30pm and leave about 10.30pm.

Would it be good to use a HO HO bus to get around. But a taxi does not sound to expensive.

I was thinking night markets to buy t-shirts, children's clothing, jewellery (not expensive), perfume. Maybe there is somewhere better to shop for this type of things. I would like your advise.

We like to look at some historical buildings, but not interested in temples. I like the idea of eating at Hawker stalls. We don't like to stop for to long at any one place. Maybe sit for about 30mins over a cocktail or a coffee.

So if you could suggest places for shopping and a place to wander to look at buildings and eat a little along the way and a nice place to stop for a drink that would be excellent.

Thank you so much. Hope your hand gets better soon.

Wendy

If I was there for only one day I would absolutely take Taxis, they are very cheap, just remember the prices I told you and don't go too far above them, also don't tell them you are from the cruise ship until you have negotiated the price. That being said Penang is nothing like some other Asian countries and while they will try to get a few extra Ringgit off you it will only equate to about a dollar in Australian money so it's not really a big deal.

If I was there for the amount of times I would wander around in the centre of Georgetown for awhile looking at some of the old buildings in trying some of the local restaurants and Hawker stalls. Lebuh Kimberley area after about five pm is good for that. Just wander and graze, we lived in the area for six months and eight at the hawkers stalls every single day and never got sick, so I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing. Little India is also pretty interesting if you like indian culture.

For something very luxurious and colonial I would definitely highly recommend a short break for a cocktail at the eastern and oriental hotel. Go to Faquhars Bar in the old wing. It's just like Raffles and in fact was built by the same brothers who built Raffles.

Unfortunately most of the markety T-shirt type shopping is out at A place called Batu Ferringi. It's quite a long way from town and in bad traffic, which happens often, it could take you over an hour each way. Once you get there it's a bit of a tourist ghetto toO, but they do have night market. Alternatively you go go to Prangin Mall which is just near the tall building called KOMTAR, they sell all sorts of stuff, very cheap, on multiple floors.

There's a start...

Edited by lahore

Hi Hoyaheel,

Ooooooo! Foot massage sounds nice. Can you tell me where you go for that and about how much it costs. Is it close to the port?

Ha - no clue, I haven't been there yet! I was just reading on other travel forums about Ko Samui and people mentioned good seafood and lots of places offering massages. I've seen pictures in markets of other Thai cities with chairs & signs just sitting out offering massages for various prices. So right now our plan is to wing it:p

I've seen various prices, but around 200-300 baht for a 1 hr massage, maybe a little more for a 1hr foot massage. Full body with oil -300-400 baht.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Ha - no clue, I haven't been there yet! I was just reading on other travel forums about Ko Samui and people mentioned good seafood and lots of places offering massages. I've seen pictures in markets of other Thai cities with chairs & signs just sitting out offering massages for various prices. So right now our plan is to wing it:p

I've seen various prices, but around 200-300 baht for a 1 hr massage, maybe a little more for a 1hr foot massage. Full body with oil -300-400 baht.

Thanks Hoyaheel, might try for a a foot massage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I was there for only one day I would absolutely take Taxis, they are very cheap, just remember the prices I told you and don't go too far above them, also don't tell them you are from the cruise ship until you have negotiated the price. That being said Penang is nothing like some other Asian countries and while they will try to get a few extra Ringgit off you it will only equate to about a dollar in Australian money so it's not really a big deal.

If I was there for the amount of times I would wander around in the centre of Georgetown for awhile looking at some of the old buildings in trying some of the local restaurants and Hawker stalls. Lebuh Kimberley area after about five pm is good for that. Just wander and graze, we lived in the area for six months and eight at the hawkers stalls every single day and never got sick, so I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing. Little India is also pretty interesting if you like indian culture.

For something very luxurious and colonial I would definitely highly recommend a short break for a cocktail at the eastern and oriental hotel. Go to Faquhars Bar in the old wing. It's just like Raffles and in fact was built by the same brothers who built Raffles.

Unfortunately most of the markety T-shirt type shopping is out at A place called Batu Ferringi. It's quite a long way from town and in bad traffic, which happens often, it could take you over an hour each way. Once you get there it's a bit of a tourist ghetto toO, but they do have night market. Alternatively you go go to Prangin Mall which is just near the tall building called KOMTAR, they sell all sorts of stuff, very cheap, on multiple floors.

There's a start...

Wow! Thanks Lahore, that's great information.

Just 2 quick questions - the Pranging Mall, is it close to the port. And secondly do you know of a good place close to port to get a foot massage at a reasonable price. Thanks again in advance.

Wendy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, Prangin mall is about ten minutes maximum in a taxi from port. Never had a foot massage there, more of a Thai thing. Can't recall seeing foot massage places except out at Batu Ferringhi and personally I wouldn't go out there just for that.

Thanks again Lahore,

I think I will do as you suggested and wander around the centre of Georgetown looking at buildings and eat at the hawker stalls. Then catch a taxi to Prangin mall for a bit of shopping.

Edited by BrisQld

There's a start...

Thank you lahore for the useful information on Penang (we are there Feb 2018)

Hi all, my name is Shane and I will be cruising next year from Singapore to Dubai with my wife. I am really looking forward to reading your comments to the places I will be travelling to. Thank you

Are you on QM2?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums