Advice on picking a WiFi package

khsdc

We are a family of 5. Kids are 14,14,and 12. I will need to check email and take work calls randomly during our trip (Glory). Kids could go without using phones but would like to use them. My husband will want internet access too and will need to answer emails/calls. We all have an iphone 6. What would you recommend??? Verizon recommended using the wifi on board for calling and emails but I read on carnival website that it's not an option. We leave on Friday and our first time on Carnival (always been on Royal Caribbean)

Thanks so much!!

Kari

We are a family of 5. Kids are 14,14,and 12. I will need to check email and take work calls randomly during our trip (Glory). Kids could go without using phones but would like to use them. My husband will want internet access too and will need to answer emails/calls. We all have an iphone 6. What would you recommend??? Verizon recommended using the wifi on board for calling and emails but I read on carnival website that it's not an option. We leave on Friday and our first time on Carnival (always been on Royal Caribbean)

Thanks so much!!

Kari

From the Carnival website (there is more info if you need it)

New Upgraded Plans

We have upgraded our communications technology to the latest, state of the art systems and guests now have access to much faster speeds at an affordable price! Want to share that awesome photo? Need to Skype home? Our ships now feature our awesome new internet plans. No other cruise line offers these speeds at these great prices!

We offer three different types of plans that can be purchased for either a 24 hour period or for the entire length of the cruise at a discount - price for voyage plans vary by length of cruise:

Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.

Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).

Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

Users may easily upgrade from one plan to another. Users may use one device at a time on each plan, including either their personal devices or one of our on-board computers. All plans exclude video streaming (such as Netflix or Hulu) and Snapchat. Cellular-network-dependent WiFi Calling and Facetime services are also not supported at this time. Printing is offered at no charge.

if you are accessing your work emails and utilize a VPN, that may NOT work with these onboard plans

Edited by First and Ten

Also don't expect the steady connection of your home wifi when moving about the ship. There are deadzones or places with not as good coverage and your connection will drop. Sometimes you have to manually re-login to get back online.

I never bothered to attempt calling anyone, but the service was pretty good for a cruise ship on the top tier plans on our last few Carnival cruises.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So another question then. If I get the premium, I assume I will also be charged from Verizon for any phone calls?

The premium is just wifi - any cellular would be via Cellular At Sea or something in the remote country...at that point you'll wish Verizon charged you instead.

The middle plan works just great for emails. I used it on our cruise last fall.

As far as calls are concerned, I would think that is going to be pricey. Any chance you could just put a voicemail message that says to email you instead while you are away?

Although personally, I think the two of you should be able to go off the grid entirely for your vacation. I think that this is a huge problem we have here in America (assuming that's where you are from). We just don't respect people's time off enough. It's a shame, really.

For phone calls on your IPhone check out the app Viber. It is calls placed over wifi., I used it a lot while on my cruise and calls to others that have the Viber app is free. Calls to people/Land Lines that do not have the app is only 1.9 cents a minute if you call via the app. Call clarity is very good. Highly recommend. Saved me a lot of money as I to have to keep in touch with work

you can also use iMessage voice to call. Other than the 2 second delay it was fine. We were on the Dream in January and even the top tier was very slow. "What's my Speed" recorded only 2 gigs and streaming was non existent. So is this upgrade new since January?

If you want to test it out, have your wife or kids download the app now also and start playing with calls. Viper to Viper are free so it will cost you nothing.

Just make sure you have wifi connection.

Edited by thundercrack

So another question then. If I get the premium, I assume I will also be charged from Verizon for any phone calls?

A potential option COULD be to enable wifi calling on your iphone. I'm not sure if Verizon enables this or how well it works, but is an option.

Thanks so much! Love these message boards. I'd love to go "off the grid" but it's just not possible bc I'm a dentist and will need to keep in touch with the office (I have my own practice). I have never been "off the grid", except for back in the day when there wasn't a grid :rolleyes:. It's fine though, I'm used to it and like to be available to my patients and staff. And that ultimately helps fund my vacations!!

A potential option COULD be to enable wifi calling on your iphone. I'm not sure if Verizon enables this or how well it works, but is an option.

Depending on your phone, IPhone 6s, Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7, Motorolla Droid Turbo and Turbo 2 all have wifi calling options through Verizon. You either need to log in to your wireless account and enable it or call Verizon wireless directly to enable it. Make sure your phone is in airplane mode then use the ships wifi with whatever carnival wifi plan/ mobile app you plan to use.

We kept our phones on airplane mode all week and used the Hub app for 5.00 each to use the chat function with the family onboard. We also had the 60.00 internet package for the week. It was sufficient for playing games, you tube that we used during down time in the room. We did not use any voice services. We have Verizon and have android and iPhones and kept wifi turned on but mobile data off and airplane mode on top of that. You had to disable airplane mode to connect to the hub but then once connected you could restore airplane mode. It was weird but we used the hub app all week very successfully.

• 2 months later...

On the Dream in January, I called home almost every night using Viber. I did have the top tier package. It worked well except a couple nights calls got dropped briefly. Viber is free. Also we used Viber on the ship to text one another (shipmates). You can also text the regular way, just make sure your phone is on airplane mode.

Ry