Scrip program - anyone familiar?

I have used the scrip pgrm to pay for my cruise fare but am getting conflicting information if I can use it to pay for my onboard acct prior to sailing (I know I cannot use after boarding). Most recently I was told that I could but I am afraid to purchase it bc there are no returns if it doesn't work.

Edited by cruisesola

So Scrip is a prgm used by a lot of schools, non-profits, etc. as a fundraising prgm. Vendors like restaurants, stores, offer gift cards to their establishments at a discount and that savings goes to your organization as a fundraiser. So for example for me to raise money for my school, I buy Royal Carribean gift certificates at full price then the 10% savings they offer goes to my school. RC's are probably the worst to try to redeem, compared to Carnival & Disney at least, but it's for the school so I do it. I'd like to buy more certificates but not sure that they will credit properly to my onboard acct.

I am very familiar with the program.

I have seen Carnival gift cards made, but we could only get them at the grocery store (if we did use them, we dont) for double gas points.

It seems the script program is selective on which cards are offered.

Besides RCI gift cards are not available locally if they are even made available.

Safe travels.

According to the T&C on RCL's gift certificates, they need to be redeemed at least 10 business days prior to sailing to be used as OBC. When we looked into getting gift cards through our Amazon Visa account, RCL's T&C said they could not be redeemed on board.

We use script all the time for cruises with Rccl. I only use it to pay for the cruise. I send in script to Rccl 30 days before $ due. Takes Rccl several weeks to credit. Never had a problem. I did try to book a cruise 3 weeks ago for a July 10, 2016 sailing. Couldn't use script. Had to pay with a credit card. Last March I paid for 10 people using script. Over $15,000. No problem. Rccl gives back 13% to school to use for tuition for my grandchildren. No problem.

If you are able to send the scrips in for on board credit, could you report back here? I looked at the script program online to see if there was any guidance there, and found this under the Royal Caribbean entry

"General Information

GIFT CARDS MAY NOT BE REDEEMED AT OR BY ANY TRAVEL AGENCY. Gift Card is valid only for Royal Caribbean sailings, and can ONLY be used for new bookings. Gift Card may NOT be used for online purchases, and may NOT be applied to a group reservation and may NOT be used for on board purchases. Cruise must be booked at least ten (10) business days prior to the sail date. All reservations are subject to availability. To make your cruise reservation please call Royal Caribbean Directly at 888-437-1994"

The above says that they cannot be used for onboard purchases, but it's not clear whether this means onboard credit or not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by fletch5727

The only way to purchase on board credit is through Gifts and Gear or C&A can also process it BUT like any purchase made through the cruise planner they must be paid by credit card at the time of purchase.

As you said you have to send the scrip in to be processed I would say that there is no way to purchase anything other than your cruise using scrip as everything else requires immediate payment.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I am very familiar with the program.

I have seen Carnival gift cards made, but we could only get them at the grocery store (if we did use them, we dont) for double gas points.

It seems the script program is selective on which cards are offered.

Besides RCI gift cards are not available locally if they are even made available.

Safe travels.

Unlike RCL's cards, both Carnival and Disney gift cards can be applied to OBC at Guest Services once you are on board.

I have recently booked a February 2017 cruise on RCCL and put down a deposit. It sounds like I should be able to purchase RCCL gift cards through my Scrip program and apply them toward my unpaid balance. Is that correct?

Yes you just submit the scrip certificates for the amount you would like, I actually even included my $1000 deposit in my total and then got a refund to my credit card. So for a few wks I had technically double-paid the deposit but I did get the refund as promised.

Edited by cruisesola

If you are able to send the scrips in for on board credit, could you report back here? I looked at the script program online to see if there was any guidance there, and found this under the Royal Caribbean entry

"General Information

GIFT CARDS MAY NOT BE REDEEMED AT OR BY ANY TRAVEL AGENCY. Gift Card is valid only for Royal Caribbean sailings, and can ONLY be used for new bookings. Gift Card may NOT be used for online purchases, and may NOT be applied to a group reservation and may NOT be used for on board purchases. Cruise must be booked at least ten (10) business days prior to the sail date. All reservations are subject to availability. To make your cruise reservation please call Royal Caribbean Directly at 888-437-1994"

The above says that they cannot be used for onboard purchases, but it's not clear whether this means onboard credit or not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I will definitely let you know. I have been told Yes and No by Customer Service. I am sure that this has to all be done prior to boarding, no credit once on ship as we are all in agreement. Gosh I love CC...so glad we have one-another to share these comments and experiences.

Unlike RCL's cards, both Carnival and Disney gift cards can be applied to OBC at Guest Services once you are on board.

Yes, we purchased the Disney cards by buying them for double points at the grocery store for double fuel perks, using our Chase credit card for the card points..

For us it is a win win situation.

Great deal.

• 1 month later...
We use script all the time for cruises with Rccl. I only use it to pay for the cruise. I send in script to Rccl 30 days before $ due. Takes Rccl several weeks to credit. Never had a problem. I did try to book a cruise 3 weeks ago for a July 10, 2016 sailing. Couldn't use script. Had to pay with a credit card. Last March I paid for 10 people using script. Over $15,000. No problem. Rccl gives back 13% to school to use for tuition for my grandchildren. No problem.

Could someone please tell me how you redeem the Scrips Gift Cards? Did you buy the physical cards or did you purchase the ScripNow with electronic certificates? It states that face value of Gift Card will be applied to reservation once email has been received at SharedServicesGiftCertificateRedemption

What does this mean? How do I redeem them?

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any further information on this? I am looking to book in the near future. Can I only use scrip for the initial payment or can I keep applying it in intervals until it is paid off? I don't want to purchase something I cannot use.

Does it need to be called in each time I used it or can it be done online?

• 7 months later...