Prisendam Refit: On or Off?

writer100

We have never sailed on HAL, though we have cruised on Celebrity, Crystal, Oceania, Regent and Seabourn. Prisendam seemed the best fit for us given our inclination to sail on smallish vessels. However, we were alarmed by the number of reviewers who cited mechanical breakdowns-- toilets not flushing, cabin a/c malfunctioning and the like. Many of the reviewers, while noting the problems (inherent to an older vessel?) praised her lines, her intimacy and the courtesy of her crew. And several noted that Prisendam was scheduled for a major refit in May of 2016. Although I have checked the year-long schedules for refits that are available on line--they cover every cruise line and list the vessel, date of refit and what it will entail--I can find no reference to Prisendam, though multiple other HAL ships are listed.

Perhaps HAL adherents here have insight into this matter.

Thank you for your insights, and your courtesy.

We have never sailed on HAL, though we have cruised on Celebrity, Crystal, Oceania, Regent and Seabourn. Prisendam seemed the best fit for us given our inclination to sail on smallish vessels. However, we were alarmed by the number of reviewers who cited mechanical breakdowns-- toilets not flushing, cabin a/c malfunctioning and the like. Many of the reviewers, while noting the problems (inherent to an older vessel?) praised her lines, her intimacy and the courtesy of her crew. And several noted that Prisendam was scheduled for a major refit in May of 2016. Although I have checked the year-long schedules for refits that are available on line--they cover every cruise line and list the vessel, date of refit and what it will entail--I can find no reference to Prisendam, though multiple other HAL ships are listed.

The Prinsendam came out of dry dock in May of this year. She was in dry dock for two weeks so it was more cosmetic though a few mechanical systems were updated (including the water system). We were on the post dry dock sailing. We have sailed her several time and have never encountered any toilet or AC problems but that can happen on any cruise ship. I find that people tend to love her (most) or hate her (some). We like her enough to have her booked for four straight months next year.

I will sail on the Prinsendam any day of the week ;).

she's an aging lady but well cared for.

I do believe I read she had a recent dry dock, but my memory can be short.

In any case, we have nearly 90 days on this ship and I wish I had made it over 100 by sailing on her instead of the Riviera ;)

Mechanical issues happen on all ships, but honestly on our first cruise I was a tad nervous on her age - we saw no more different "issues" than on any other ship. And she has some lovely features that you will not find on ships now.

Enjoy her while she is still available :)

We recently returned from a 20 day Norway trip on the Prinsendam. It had come out of dry dock earlier in the year and everything seemed to be working well. We didn't hear of any toilet problems and the ship seemed in good shape. The ship is about 28 years old (or so), so you will see some signs of her age. But nothing that impacts the quality of the experience or safety or comfort of the passengers. They said they replaced the bed mattresses. That may be, but the ones we had were quite hard, harder than what we have had on other HAL cruises. DW finally asked for an "egg crate" pad, which seemed to help.

I would not hesitate to take her again. In fact, I am starting to look at her schedule to see if we can get back on her soon. The crew was outstanding. The Captain did a fantastic job. Being on a smaller ship meant we got into places the bigger ships don't go. For most of our port visits, we were the only ship in port.

So if you like smaller ships, this is a great one to cruise on.

Greg

While top of the line for HAL, the Prinsendam does not have the same overall luxury feel as Regent or Crystal. It is a quirky ship lay-out wise with hits and misses in its decor and ambiance. But she is a wonderfully versatile ship and able to get into the smaller ports and offers some very intriguing itineraries.

If there was ever a time to splurge, getting one of the named Neptune suites on the very top deck is an ideal way to enjoy this ship to the maximum, which includes breakfast in the most lovely smaller Pinnacle Dining room along with all the other special perks that also come with that Neptune class of cabins.

No other HAL ships have such grand and spacious Neptune Suites as the Prinsendam. They are truly "old world". The one we enjoyed (Amundsen Suite) was on the hallway going into the Crows Nest look-out bar which became our "private" viewing lounge during the day, and nary a sound from the more lively Crows Nest at night. it was always welcoming to reach our cabin through this large, art-filled passage way that is exclusive to this group of Neptune suites.

If the itinerary appeals to you, I think you will enjoy the Prinsendam because when it comes to cruising we too think smaller is better. And the old classics are more appealing than the new glitz.

While top of the line for HAL, the Prinsendam does not have the same overall luxury feel as Regent or Crystal. It is a quirky ship lay-out wise with hits and misses in its decor and ambiance. But she is a wonderfully versatile ship and able to get into the smaller ports and offers some very intriguing itineraries.

If there was ever a time to splurge, getting one of the named Neptune suites on the very top deck is an ideal way to enjoy this ship to the maximum, which includes breakfast in the most lovely smaller Pinnacle Dining room along with all the other special perks that also come with that Neptune class of cabins.

No other HAL ships have such grand and spacious Neptune Suites as the Prinsendam. They are truly "old world". The one we enjoyed (Amundsen Suite) was on the hallway going into the Crows Nest look-out bar which became our "private" viewing lounge during the day, and nary a sound from the more lively Crows Nest at night. it was always welcoming to reach our cabin through this large, art-filled passage way that is exclusive to this group of Neptune suites.

If the itinerary appeals to you, I think you will enjoy the Prinsendam because when it comes to cruising we too think smaller is better. And the old classics are more appealing than the new glitz.

Thanks to all for their kindness in assuaging the fears of a "newbie"--at least to HAL. I have indeed found an interesting itinerary on Prisendam. And now all that remains is to convince She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Again, many thanks.