Ultimate Beverage Package for 20 year old

neesy11

Folks

I was thinking of booking the Epic for August 2017 for myself, wife and two girls in two separate rooms

At the minute there's drink packages included and they state the Ultimate drinks package is for over 21s

My eldest girl will be 20 at the time of the cruise and she won't be content with a soda package, unfortunately, the legal age over here in Europe is 18 to drink alcohol

Does anybody know of a way I could contact NCL to seek clarification on this or has anybody had a similar experience

Many Thanks

Seems pretty clear to me

You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol.

I agree but apparently on RCI if you're the legal age in that region the parents can sign a waver and they can get the alcohol package

They would not allow it for my niece who will be 20 when we sail. She receives the soda package. This was a booking made way back when - when pax 3 & 4 received a UBP. Under 21's reverted to soda. She does not drink soda very much at all. We booked before the 18% and we are in a suite so we kept it. She might have something.

They would not consider allowing her to have the alcohol package, even with her mom's permission, who is cruising with her.

Edited by DMH15

Folks

I was thinking of booking the Epic for August 2017 for myself, wife and two girls in two separate rooms

At the minute there's drink packages included and they state the Ultimate drinks package is for over 21s

My eldest girl will be 20 at the time of the cruise and she won't be content with a soda package, unfortunately, the legal age over here in Europe is 18 to drink alcohol

Does anybody know of a way I could contact NCL to seek clarification on this or has anybody had a similar experience

Many Thanks

I believe you can sign a waiver so she can purchase beer and wine but she will not be able to get the UDP. I don't believe contacting NCL will help you at all. There's rules are 21 for a beverage package. There will be others along who know more details. :D

I believe you can sign a waiver so she can purchase beer and wine but she will not be able to get the UDP.

It won't make much difference in this case I don't think, but I'm not sure whether the waiver is even required on European cruises.

I've seen signs up in the bars stating that the drinking age is 18.

It's never been an issue for us, so I don't know for certain. What is definite is that the 20 year old will be able to get alcoholic drinks, but will need to buy them individually rather than getting a package. The worst case would be that a waiver needs signing (by a parent or official guardian).

Edited by KeithJenner

For most U.S. based cruises (not Alaska and Hawaii) parents can sign a waiver to allow 18 year old's + to buy beer and wine if they are sailing with a parent. Look at NCL's web site in the FAQ's.

The Epic in August will be Europe based.

It isn't all that relevant in this case I don't think, but I'm not sure whether the waiver is even required on European cruises.

I've seen signs up in the bars stating that the drinking age is 18.

It's never been an issue for us, so I don't know for certain. What is definite is that the 20 year old will be able to get alcoholic drinks, but will need to buy them individually rather than getting a package. The worst case would be that a waiver needs signing (by a parent or official guardian).

Interesting. I've sailed NCL only in Europe so far and haven't seen those signs. But, then, I don't drink much so don't spend much time in the bars. :o I did know that no matter where they'll sailing, under-21s can't purchase the UDP.

ncl says:

"However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European and Australian voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form."

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-minimum-age-purchase-andor-consumption-alcoholic-beverages

I don't believe that would help with a promotional UBP though

Thanks. I looked, but couldn't see any confirmation of this (searching on my phone).

Good to know that my recollection was correct. All that time spent at the bar hasn't totally ruined my memory. :)

See here for details regarding the drinking age and age requirements for beverage packages on European sailings:

On-board packages terms & conditions

A 20-year old cannot have the UBP, as others have stated. It doesn't matter what their nationality is, where the cruise is, or whether the UBP is purchased or included as a booking perk. No UBP for the OP's daughter.

However, she can purchase any drinks she wants on board, and she can also purchase the Corks & Caps package for unlimited beer and wine.

It would be nice if the promotional UBP downgraded to the Corks & Caps package for young adults on European sailings, but that is not how the promo works. Under 21 = soda package, no further clarification needed.