Sign and Sale Cards

Carl Nival

Older Carnival ships used separate cabin room keys, even as newer ships came into service using a room key integrated with the sail & sign card. I believe Fantasy class ships started with separate room keys.

I believe that the sail & sign card was introduced around 1986/1987. It was not mandatory. Once on board passengers could apply for the card. Without the s&s card cash & cc were used to pay for purchases as they were made.

I believe that the sail & sign card was introduced around 1986/1987. It was not mandatory. Once on board passengers could apply for the card. Without the s&s card cash & cc were used to pay for purchases as they were made.

My husband won a cruise right before I met him, and we used it for our anniversary. This was in 1995. By that time, there was no cash used on board, and we had only taken $100-120 with us (hey ... we were flat broke, but it was a free honeymoon!!). We were required to put $100 on our card. Not really a big deal, until we couldn't get the balance back in cash... They gave us a check! (Which the bank at the airport refused to cash). We had no money for food and we were STARVING. The people on the plane around us kept passing all their goodies around to their group. LOL Then on the way home between 10-11pm, we ran out of gas. This newly married 18 year old girl had to call her daddy to come fill us up with gas and loan us 20 so we could feed ourselves. We were dead in the middle of a VERY bad neighborhood, but I didn't care. Taco Bell never tasted so good!

Looking back on it now, I laugh. But man, what an ending!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. But I knwo that S&S was required by 1995. :D