furious w/ RCCL...and cozumel....

mpffls

1st let me say...cozumel is one of my favorite ports....I am one of those strange folks that love cozumel and nassau!!!!

because of these boards I feel I have new friends all over the cruise world.....and the locals in cozuml that frequent these boards are great folks.....my heart and prayers go out to them....

but RCCL............is on my list!!!!!!....

we are a group of 50+ booked on the splendour out of galvston 12/15....4 day... going to cozumel....

the reason for this trip....our daughters wedding.....she was getting married on the beach at the hotel el presidente....in cozumel!

so family...friends....wedding party....we are all geared for a wedding celebration cruise.....themed....the splendour of a wedding.....

so when wilma hit....I was all over the net....getting evry bit of info I could.....to be pro-active in case we needed to change plans with less than 8 weeks.........did I mention we started planning this and booked last feb.....

so....on sunday...I called RCCL, just their reg reservations line....just to find out....what the possible optional ports would be.....if in fact we did not go to cozumel......they said probably majahaul.....but I should call the "resolutions line"......this is the special section....just set up to help in these situations....

now I need to make it clear..........I am in no way.....demanding to know the alternative port.....I simply want to know.....

1. if they think the cruise will be canceled
  2. what are the possible ports we might substitue
  3. and when we might know the actual port to be substituted

reservations assurd me that this department was going to be able to answer this........

in the mean time I contacted the el presidente corp offices....they are in houston....and found out that the hotel was pretty damaged and would need to be re-built completely....and would probably not open for 9 months to a year......

so I get the resoluton line....and Carl....let me know that nothing had been canceld in cozumel....everything was "a go".....and that it was bussiness as usual........

I asked..."so you are telling me ships are going to cozumel..."

"yes"

"so where are they docking....?"

"uhhh.....at the peir"....and with such attitude....

I let him know the peirs were gone....and asked to speak to a supervisor....

That would be Shelby....she was nice enough at first....wanted to know my booking #....which of course I did not have ....but she was able to find my reservation w/out it....and noted that it was a group....I went thru the whole explination...again....and she said....

"well if you don't go to cozumel.....they will not sub a port you will just have another sea day..."

"Ok.....so if we make cozumel a sea day....and this is a 4 day cruise....then this is now a cruise to no where"

"oh well then they will sub a port"....

"ok...so what are those options..."

now get ready for this....and remeber these things....galveston, 4 days....

"st thomas, caymen, jamaca.....you could go to almost anywhere"

I pointed out galveston and 4 days.....and she said that did not matter... besides as far as RCCL was concernd....there was no problem w/ cozumel..

ok....so shelby how bout I speak to your supervisor.....well she really did not see a need for me to speak to her suporvisor...because she was a supervisor and no one knew more than her!!!!!

so now I have Patti on the phone.....an right from the start she let me know that shelby had informd her I was a problem........

ok....I go thru it again.....and I really try to convey that I am only looking for "possibilites" so I can rsearch our possibilities.....after all this is our daughters wedding.....and we would like to have some idea where we might have it!!!!!

Patti let me know that there was a complicated formula for switching and subing ports.....and quite frankly....there did not seem to be the need to do that for cozumel and 2 of her staff people had tried to tell me that....

I told her of the reports of the devistation...she told me she watched the news...things were not tht bad.....

I told her of my contacts w/ folks on the island....of the el presidente.... of chankanaub....of the peirs....

as far as she was concerned these were all extremem exagerations....unfounded rumors.....

and as far as ports... anywhere in the caribbean could be subbed....

again the galvston and 4 days......did not matter....

(when RCCL....does a 4 day to st thomas from galvston....I will be in the royal suite!!!!!!.....and monkies will fly out of ....oh sorry...this is a family board!)

I mentioned that majahaul / costa maya had been thrown out there as a possibility.....

she let me know that was very unlikly.....as this was a port RCCL did not go to very often....possibly one ship once a year.....

(I could be mistaken....but didn't RCCL....build the big criuise "thing" there)

as this point I could not resist letting her know that the splendour was going there 16 times between the end of nov....and the end of jan....

but once again I was told my info was wrong......you know.... you would think RCCL would catch a mistake like that in there cataloge and on their website!!!!!

at this point I was so.....frustrated....I said "ok I understand you can not tell me where we might go.....but could you verify we will not go... to key west......."

you are to going to beleive this......

Patti let me know....key west was deffinatly a possibility.....and so was tampa........these were often subbed for cozumel...

"you can't be serious.....we could go from galveston to tampa!"

her answer was yes.......

"do you not see a difference between cozumel and tampa...."

at least she did say she say a differnce....but tampa was a lovley city....and people loved to go there....

she explained to me that the places that I enjoyed were not necessarily the same places that others on the cruise would enjoy....for example..."belze might be subbed and you love beleize....while the people in the cabin next to you...hate beleize and are furious!"

"Patti.....let me explain something to you....I am willing to bet....that if you got 2000 people on the splendour in glaveston..on what was suppose to be a cozumel cruise....and told them they were going on a 4 day cruise to tampa.....you would have 2000 angry cruisers!!!!!!

at this point I was told that was my opinion!!!!!

so finally I asked what are my options....

"basicly....they are to get on the ship....and go where it goes..."

"and will I find out where it is going so that we can plan our daughters wedding...."

she had no answer.....but let me nwo that if we canceled we would endure all of the penalties

and she did have some advise....

"perhaps we should make alternate plans for the wedding....."

is that not what I am trying to do.....

she ment the ceromony....

then what is the point of the cruise!!!!!!

by the way.....as the parents of the bride....we are in an OS because the RS was taken....the bride and groom are in a JS....and the wedding party are in 9 cabins........this is all on our american express....so we have alot invested w/ RCCL........

not that the $$$s for this trip shoud make a differnce....whether we were in the RS....or 4 in a Z.....we should receive good customer sevice....

and some simpathy....or at least fake it that you are simpathetic!!!!!

thanx for letting me rant.........

and if anyone knows the next level of the RCCL chain....like the VP of customer relations....send me their info....

I will be up all night............after this rant!!!!!!!!

trish

Wow Trish :( I feel your frustration from that post....I had to check the date to make sure I didn't slip back to April Fools Day. What a mess.

I hope things get resolved and she has a happy day. I would buy the first round of drinks If I was on your ship!

Best of luck getting someone with a brain on the phone at RCCL. From our experience the Crown and Anchor line gives you a better chance of a collective brain among the answering service. I say answering service because that is about what it amounts to sometimes.

:) Bobbie <--- who is just waiting to see the matches lighted on this one. :( I hope the CCers are at least a little nice to you on this one.

You obviously knew more than she did. A customer representitive of any line, who may not be up to date, may just try his/her best. They may not have received the news of the devistation. You knew it.

I get to walk away from thousands that I have spent on my condo in Cancun this year. If mother nature has spoiled your wedding plans, do not blame that on RCCL. Cozumel is destroyed for right now!.. Know what, they are already rebuilding it, and the US poplulation doesn't even know it. Want to continue with the wedding in Cozumel, the minister of Tourism will help you, just to continue to bring back tourism to the Yucitan.

RCCL is not in charge of the weather!! They do the best that they can, and sometimes some of the threads seem to stretch the truth.

Rick

The OP said the sailing is on 12/15 which is after hurricane season. Other than that I agree with you bobbie. I would be upset if I were in this position.

rubrrick - nowhere did the OP say they are blaming RCCL on the weather, they know Cozumel is destroyed, they just wanted to know where the cruise will be going so they can plan a wedding.

I wish people would read the post all the way through and understand it before being rude.

Give RCCL a little time. There is no way they know what is going on yet. They did not plan for this hurricane. I am sure they are working hard on assessing the situation so they can make the proper arrangements. I know you are planning a wedding but this is not RCCL's fault and you seemed kind of demanding. They can't know what port you are going to yet, this just happened.

bigscrb15.....I realized that after I posted and deleted the hurricane season part when I realized they booked for December. :)

And that's after three glasses of really good red wine!

Trish....I'll share my wine....here is a big tall glass for ya.......

thanx guys....can aways count on the cc for some suport....

eric....let me again make it clear....I understand this just happened....I know they can not tell me today...where my cruise for 12/15 will be going for sure....I just want to know what the possible ports are.....

and if they had just been honest and said "we don't know....but wow... we know you kinda need to know.....give us a few days.....and we will be in touch...even just to say we stil don;t know...or call us in a few days...we still might not know....but we might be closer".......

this would have ben fine....

my frustration comes....from knowing more than they do....and hving them try to make me beleive my info is wrong....and cozumel si fine.....

so sad there....

I have lost some of my favorite places of late....

biloxi....new orleans....and now cozumel....

of all of them...I have no doubt coz will be back 1st.....

the poor rep from the el presidente said ...."perhaps your daughter can plan to spend her 1st aniversary with us....we hope we are open by then!!!"

at this point I think we are gong to plan the wedding for the ship....

ad hope we don't go to tampa!!!!!

thanx again..........trish

Well.......since.....things.......are.....day to day......what exactly......are you ......expecting RCI....to do......:confused:

I feel for all those "vacationers" who are now stuck in Cozumel and Cancun, not to mention all the natives who have lost everything!!!

Have fun planning :D

###

If you are counting on a cruiseship to get you to a wedding, you are always in for a chance of disappointment. There could be weather, there could be mechanical problems, there could be tons of other things. IMHO, it sounds like you are being a just a wee bit demanding.

Our January "Western Caribbean" cruise this year turned out to be two ports in Florida with a side trip to Cozumel. Oh well I was told, dem's da breaks. Maybe your daughter should elope or better yet get married by the JP and use the cruise as a honeymoon...with 48 of her closest friends.

A weding is really major, and even with best intentions I doubt RCCL can answer your questions now. If possible, I'd cancel and plan the wedding all over. That is hard, I know. If she's set on a tropical wedding, maybe the Bahamsa or something off the eastern coast. Good luck to you, Nancy

I agree with the waiting on this for a few days. The world is in chaos right now, and the cruiselines can't possibly have all the answers yet.

Your issue is valid, absolutely. But from the perspective of the customer service ppl you contacted, I can only imagine how many other passenger issues and crises and worries they are having to deal with. They may be curt or dismissive with you now, but maybe when things have cooled off, you will get a better response.

One option you could look at is that your daughter get married in a small ceremony before the cruise and you have some type of ceremony "at sea". I know it would be a sacrifice, but in times of crisis, people sometimes have to compromise.

Lastly, when I'm worried that things aren't going to work out, I always find comfort in listing the things in my life that I'm grateful for--see the good things you have today, and everything else will fall into place, just as they should.

"I think OP needs to give RCCL some time to figure out what is going on. Calling them on a Sunday right after Wilma hit Cozuml is a bit too early."

I was more thinking calling them while Wilma's hitting them and they are trying to clean up from that was asking a little much.

Heck, at least it isn't like NCL which is still telling everybody or at least a that one of their ships will be calling in Cozumel this friday. At least RCI's customer service reps are giving Cozumel some time to clean up.

Please give RCI a couple of days at least to come up with an answer. Up until today, a lot of the reports coming from government officials from Mexico is that they planned to have Cozumel and Cancun reopened in time for their December high season which is when you are cruising. Well, today we all have seen the pictures of the cruise ship piers so we know that may be a bit of a stretch.

It will take a few days to come with an alternate port. Cozumel is probably the most popular port in the Western Caribbean so all the ships that go there have to be rerouted, but there is no one single port that can take all those ships plus the ones that were already planned to go there.

From Galveston, your most likely alternative on a 4 day is Costa Maya, BUT, that is assuming there is space there on the day you were supposed to go. The other alternative I can think of is Grand Cayman or Belize. Or RCI could do like Carnival and send people to Veracruz or Progresso. Basically, it's all going to depend on available slots on available days.

eric....let me again make it clear....I understand this just happened....I know they can not tell me today...where my cruise for 12/15 will be going for sure....I just want to know what the possible ports are.....

and if they had just been honest and said "we don't know....but wow... we know you kinda need to know.....give us a few days.....and we will be in touch...even just to say we stil don;t know...or call us in a few days...we still might not know....but we might be closer".......

this would have ben fine....

my frustration comes....from knowing more than they do....and hving them try to make me beleive my info is wrong....and cozumel si fine.....

I see what you are saying and I agree with you. RCCL should have blatantly told you that they don't know. I would give them a little time.

I would however not plan a wedding for a port of call on a cruise ship. There are an infinite amount of things that can go wrong and I wouldn't want anyones wedding (or lack there of) to be a disappointment.

I am sorry that you are in this situation.

P.S. I can guaranty you wont stop at Key West or Tampa. By only stopping there the ship will not comply with the Jones Act.

thanx eric.....

megessy.....the actual "ceremony" is just that a ceremony....with the grooms father who is a minister officiating....

as far as all of the legal mess that goes w/ a wedding outside of the us.... that was not an issue....

all we were doing was putting on a "play" so to speak.....

you know the romantic notion of a beach ceremony....a mirimba band...open bar..... the bride and groom being whisked away from the beach on a motor boat.....

all i neded was "possible" options for when cozumel is unavailable....and I could start reserching and emailing possible places to get things set up...

or research and find out....our country club beach wedding was not going to be possible....

cancel......that is not an option.....not only do we had $$$$ tied up in our reservations....we have all of these other folks.....and rccl will give us no compensation....at this point we loose 50%....they made that very clear.........not that I thretend that...but I did ask what my options were...

as a side note....on sunday when the rep told me that majahaul was probably the option (actually the 2 folks just in regular reservations were far more helpful than the 3 folks in the actual depatment designd to handle these things)....I started investigating what was there....

we wnet to beleize last yr....and loved it...majahaul is just as beautiful....and I really came to the opinion that even though this is a very important day for my daughter....we might be in a realy neat place....do we really want to waste it messing w/ a wedding!!!!!....aye we should have the wedding on the ship....and plan a really neat day for everyone....

as it looks now....that is our only constant.......we will be on a ship!...

thanx for your support andyour thoughts........

and I welcome all your ideas....on how we can have a wedding on the ship...and make it so it doesnt look like we are in the meeting room at the airport hilton!!!!!!

trish

eric.....thank you ....thank you....thank you.....

the jones act.....that is what i was looking for....that is the thing that says you can not leave a us port....and visit a us port....the return to a us port....with out going to an international port....hence the hawaii...ensenada...or vancover trips.....also alaska....

I could not rmrmber the name of th thing....and tryed to exlain this to patti.....you remeber the supervisor of the supervisor!!!!!....and she of course told me I as mistaken.....

not that it makes a difference now.....but I told my husband I was not coming to bed till I found that...and was sure we wouldnot go to key west or tampa!!!!!!!

I can now go to bed!!!!!!

thanx..........trish

wrp96.....

I think caymen is too far....but maybe not....we only have 4 days....

progresso would be great.....and we already have a plan for that one....

we were there last yr...and went to one of the hacienda's that they have turned into a hotel......this would be perfect....

but rccl does not normally go to progresso and I think i heard carnival built the peir.....do you think tht would be an issue....

I will look at veracruz....but I am thinking that is also to far....

belize is good...but since it si a tender deal....that is going to be a problem

keep on thinking....I am in need of all ideas!!!!!

thanx...trish

Trish.... good night :) Tomorrow is another day......

I am just glad the only flames so far are in my brand new wood stove. It's warm in here....I am thinking 80 degrees and Bermuda. Now I just have to actually pack instead of spening the night on Cruise Critic.

Bobbie

I think caymen is too far....but maybe not....we only have 4 days....

progresso would be great.....and we already have a plan for that one....

we were there last yr...and went to one of the hacienda's that they have turned into a hotel......this would be perfect....

but rccl does not normally go to progresso and I think i heard carnival built the peir.....do you think tht would be an issue....

I will look at veracruz....but I am thinking that is also to far....

belize is good...but since it si a tender deal....that is going to be a problem

Veracruz is actually closer than Progresso I believe. That is where Carnival sent the Elation this past week. I'm not sure there would be much in the way of a beach for a wedding there for you though.

I too am up in the air about my December cruise out of Galveston so that is why I know what some of the possibilities are. Mine of course is a 5 night, so we have more options than you do though.

I was going to let you know that in order to do the wedding on the ship, I think you have to plan it via Royal Romance. I may be wrong, but if so it might not be worth it. You might be better off seeing if there is some place in Galveston that can conduct the wedding in the morning before you board. And then use the cruise as one long celebration.

wrp.....

in the begining of this planning RCCL offered the ship option....and since we have our own minister and all ofthe legal stuff will be done and filed before the cruise they said they woudl just give us a room....

we actually have a group person....and I plan to call him tomarrow.... I tried to call him today.....but we booked this thru a trvel agent....wo is gone til 11/3....so I have to call her assistant to find out this guys extension....

I just am now wondering how we make the room....not look like we are "in a room".....

I wonder how they would feel if we did it inthe centerium!!!!!!....it certainly is grand....and what little girl hassen't drempt of a wedding w/ 2000 strangers.........I would almost like that better than moving the tables in the card room...

I can see her now....coming downthe stairs....no wait....the elevator...

I think this could be very dramatic!!!!!!

thanx for your input.....

I am always open to ideas!!!!!!!!!

trish

mpffls,

I certainly understand your frustration. Customer service for many companies these days leaves a LOT to be desired. And the fact that you're trying to plan a wedding only escalates the urgency of the situation and the irritation you feel. BUT... like the other posters have said, it's only been a couple of days since Wilma hit and they (the cruise lines) have a huge task of trying to rearrange everything and answer all the calls. I agree that they should have just said "I don't know" and leave it at that rather saying whatever just to get you off their case and trying to make it seem like you are wrong.

Since it IS a wedding, I would probably make arrangements to have the ceremony on shore before sailing, or on the ship. It may not be absolutely ideally perfect, but at least you'll be relatively certain that your plans will not be disrupted again. The guests will be able to plan accordingly and you'll be able to relax some and just enjoy the celebration trip :)

While I am not planning a wedding, I sympathize with the frustration. We are supposed to be in Cozumel on Thanksgiving day. I have booked a dolphin swim for our family of 6 that is the dream of two of the children. Now, it looks like we won't be able to do it but, as far as I can tell from RCCL's website, it's "business as usual" there. They are still selling Cozumel excursions as of this morning! I am also frustrated in not knowing what will happen, but I'm trying to just chill out and remember how blessed I am to be going at all.

btw... I agree that substituting Tampa for Cozumel would be a let down :(

Archived