Rewards Points / Companion Fare

I will be on the Oasis soon with final payment due on August 25 and would like to redeem 75,000 points for the companion fare. However, I am not sure if I make the final payment then redeem points before the sail date for a credit on my payment or do I contact RCL now before the final payment to redeem the points and then pay the balance due. I would appreciate any helpful info.

I would redeem the points before final payment so that your final payment is less.

However, you may want to call the redemption people to find out exactly what your "free" companion fare redemption is worth. The cruise line will probably remove the fake sale price before they add the redemption, so you may be better off using a discount redemption and taking a straight $750 off the fake sale price.

Redemption department: 888-305-4626

I would redeem the points before final payment so that your final payment is less.

However, you may want to call the redemption people to find out exactly what your "free" companion fare redemption is worth. The cruise line will probably remove the fake sale price before they add the redemption, so you may be better off using a discount redemption and taking a straight $750 off the fake sale price.

I am new to all of of this so I am not sure what you mean by the info underlined above.

I am new to all of of this so I am not sure what you mean by the info underlined above.

You can redeem 75K points several ways.

One is what you originally mentioned, a "free" companion fare worth up to $1500.

Another is a straight $750 off the cost of your cruise.

Call the redemption people and ask them which would be better.

I will be on the Oasis soon with final payment due on August 25 and would like to redeem 75,000 points for the companion fare. However, I am not sure if I make the final payment then redeem points before the sail date for a credit on my payment or do I contact RCL now before the final payment to redeem the points and then pay the balance due. I would appreciate any helpful info.

You are extremely smart to start working on this more than a month out from final payment. I have found more than one "exclusion" regarding either ship or time period in the fine print.

It can also be extremely challenging to check out of the site (45 minutes wasted one day before giving up).

There are also some other exclusions (which may include but not be limited to 1) exclusions from BOGO 2) invalidation of C&A Balcony and above discount... The value of the discount may also be prorated by days of the cruise....

-Holly

who the fine print gives headaches...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious how it works out, if you don't mind reporting back.

I spoke with the Redemption Dept. and they ran the 75,000 points two ways.

I could get $750 credit off the remaining balance of $2300 ++ or lose the booked sale price @ $2600 ++ which would then become $4900 minus $1500 for a companion fare discount. Wow! Thanks again for your help.

I spoke with the Redemption Dept. and they ran the 75,000 points two ways.

I could get $750 credit off the remaining balance of $2300 ++ or lose the booked sale price @ $2600 ++ which would then become $4900 minus $1500 for a companion fare discount. Wow! Thanks again for your help.

Appreciate the feedback. So the straight discount worked out better for you, as I suspect it does for most all.

This is a prime example of why I got rid of the Royal Rewards card. It was worth its weight in gold when you could combine stuff. Now it is worthless, cannot combine with anything so really your only choice is the $$ off the cruise or OBC.

Switched to a card that gives me 2x points for everything and then I can use the points against travel I booked on my credit card. Works wonderful.

This is a prime example of why I got rid of the Royal Rewards card. It was worth its weight in gold when you could combine stuff. Now it is worthless, cannot combine with anything so really your only choice is the $$ off the cruise or OBC.

Switched to a card that gives me 2x points for everything and then I can use the points against travel I booked on my credit card. Works wonderful.

I have a similar card that gives me 2x points for everything and I can erase travel purchases with points I accrue. Seems a better deal than most other credit cards, esp. cruise line ones.

But it's pretty. ;)

The continuous fake sale prices are making this card not as beneficial as in the past. I have two free 7 night cruises I'm waiting to use.

I think you will have a long wait. This fake sale thing does not seem to be going away.