Port of Houston - Officially Dead

Texas Tillie

Yes finally common sense prevailed !

If Galveston needs the passenger bridges between terminals and Ships,

I hope they are able to buy them for a third or existing terminal!

"Funds for the Bayport Cruise Terminal were included in a 1999 Harris County bond issue for a broader expansion that also included new container terminals to keep pace with rapid growth in that type of traffic."

It's my understanding that the cruise terminal was just a bone thrown in to help pass the bond issue for the container terminals that were REALLY what the port wanted. I don't think that the port really cared one way or the other about the cruise terminal. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the site rapidly redeveloped into something that the port can make better money with. It's probably taking up valuable space that can be better utilized for what the port really wants to do, especially with the expansion of the Panama Canal. The cruise business is fickle, with no long term loyalty, as Houston, San Diego and Mobile can atest to. Other cities clamoring for ships would do well to take notice.

"Funds for the Bayport Cruise Terminal were included in a 1999 Harris County bond issue for a broader expansion that also included new container terminals to keep pace with rapid growth in that type of traffic."

It's my understanding that the cruise terminal was just a bone thrown in to help pass the bond issue for the container terminals that were REALLY what the port wanted. I don't think that the port really cared one way or the other about the cruise terminal. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the site rapidly redeveloped into something that the port can make better money with. It's probably taking up valuable space that can be better utilized for what the port really wants to do, especially with the expansion of the Panama Canal. The cruise business is fickle, with no long term loyalty, as Houston, San Diego and Mobile can atest to. Other cities clamoring for ships would do well to take notice.

The port of Houston cared a lot , because they threw 10 million in incentives to get NCR and Princess into the port this last go around without any future commitments. Common sense finally prevailed .

Edited by ssb

The port of Houston cared a lot , because they threw 10 million in incentives to get NCR and Princess into the port this last go around without any future commitments. Common sense finally prevailed .

They'll have containers stacked 8 high all the way up to the terminal within a few months, and they'll be happy as clams. It'll make a great break room for the dock workers. The taxpayers in the county will be the only ones left wondering what the hell just happened?