Cinque Terre from Livorno

hubofhockey

Next summer, we have an overnight in Livorno and would like to visit Cinque Terre. We love Florence, but have been a couple of times the past six years on cruises and would like to visit Cinque Terre. We know that it is a two hour drive each way from Livorno and that we would get six hours in Cinque Terre and that is okay with us.

Ship docks at 7 am on a Thursday.

I would like to relative merits of (1) hiring a driver 440 euros for the day, (2) train option, (3) car rental (we do not drive stick shifts as popular in Italy rentals). In the driver hire scenario, I could look to add another couple from our roll call to make it 480 total or 240 per couple.

Thanks to all who advise.

As most of the Cinque Terre is vehicle free, going there by car seems a little silly. Using a guide is OK, but CT is mostly about scenery and atmosphere. Not sure a guide is needed.

There are many threads here on going via train or ferry. Very easy and relatively inexpensive to do. The view from the ferry is unbeatable.

Edited by CruiserBruce

As most of the Cinque Terre is vehicle free, going there by car seems a little silly. Using a guide is OK, but CT is mostly about scenery and atmosphere. Not sure a guide is needed.

There are many threads here on going via train or ferry. Very easy and relatively inexpensive to do. The view from the ferry is unbeatable.

Thanks, someone mentioned train to ferry. Since we really don't have time limitations for that day, the pressure is off.

We were there last Friday and used the ship's excursion. The obvious disadvantage was that it was not the least expensive option. As a previous poster said a guide is not necessary. The advantage was that the timing was all worked out for us. All the ship tours shared a private boat between towns and a timed train back to the bus. I didn't have to worry about anything but taking pictures and where to have the next gelato.

We were there last Friday and used the ship's excursion. The obvious disadvantage was that it was not the least expensive option. As a previous poster said a guide is not necessary. The advantage was that the timing was all worked out for us. All the ship tours shared a private boat between towns and a timed train back to the bus. I didn't have to worry about anything but taking pictures and where to have the next gelato.

Azamara doesn't offer that type of excursion. I'm thinking taxi to the train station and getting a good guide book. I would like to fit a ferry in there and find a good place for lunch.

Are you aware that, becaue of overcrowding, from next year the authorities are limiting the number of people allowed in the Cinque Terre villages. I believe if you buy a train ticket that will include a permit but I don't know what the situation will be for people arriving by private road transport.

Edited by aquilegia

We just got back from there. That is what we did. We hired italytoursharing.com from Livorno. My family was with a group of 8 that I found on the roll call here on cruise critic. We had a great time. My entire family thought it was definitely worth the trip. The driver was very friendly and explained all our meeting places. We had the option to either take the train or the ferry in between the small towns. We took the ferry. It was beautiful. I would like to go back there and stay for a couple days.