Allure/Oasis Sauna / Steam

phoenix8

The thermal suite on Oasis and Allure is a poor substitute for the nice locker areas on Royal's earlier classes of ships with the complimentary saunas/steam rooms. On Oasis/Allure, the men's locker area is down a hall from the thermal suite. There is a small steam room, small sauna, and an aromatherapy room in the thermal suite, as well as heated ceramic lounges and two specialty showers. The area is mixed-sex, so bathing suits are required, which is uncomfortable and unhygienic. The area is small and noisy if more than a few people are in it, and the layout of the sauna and steam room is odd and cramped. You have to be careful not to sit near the steam jet, which doesn't leave many places to sit in the steam room. During our Oasis cruise, it was less crowded (although the people who were using it hogged the lounges and were otherwise discourteous toward their fellow users*), but on our Allure cruise, it was almost always very busy and noisy, very hard to relax. It probably depends on the cruise you're on how many people will be using it, and some times of day are quieter than others.

[* Funny story--there was a couple using the thermal suite many time on our Oasis cruise when I was in there, and they would use the lounges, then leave their robe/towels on the lounge to reserve it, spend time in the sauna/steam room, and then use the showers and go back to using the lounges, leaving the water running in the shower. I don't know if they thought it would turn itself off, or if they actually wanted the "white noise" from the running water. I would get up and turn the shower off, and they would use the shower again after a few minutes and leave it running.]

Edited by CntPAcruiser

[* Funny story--there was a couple using the thermal suite many time on our Oasis cruise when I was in there, and they would use the lounges, then leave their robe/towels on the lounge to reserve it, spend time in the sauna/steam room, and then use the showers and go back to using the lounges, leaving the water running in the shower. I don't know if they thought it would turn itself off, or if they actually wanted the "white noise" from the running water. I would get up and turn the shower off, and they would use the shower again after a few minutes and leave it running.]

My guess is that they could care less; "I paid for this cruise and I'm entitled":(:eek::mad:

My guess is that they could care less; "I paid for this cruise and I'm entitled":(:eek::mad:

You bet! And the "best" part was, on the last day of the cruise, two couples who had spent a great deal of time making noise and generally being PIAs in the thermal suite spent about 20 minutes taking FLASH PICTURES of each other in the various rooms of the thermal suite (in the sauna, in the steam room, on the lounge ...). :mad::mad::mad:

We're going on the Allure next week, and it's the first time on this class. We've been on the Freedom and Vision before.

So am I understanding this correctly? There is no Sauna/Steam room attached to the Men's Locker room any longer? Seems a bit strange to have only 1 room for both men and woman.

We're going on the Allure next week, and it's the first time on this class. We've been on the Freedom and Vision before.

So am I understanding this correctly? There is no Sauna/Steam room attached to the Men's Locker room any longer? Seems a bit strange to have only 1 room for both men and woman.

There are small locker areas with restrooms on the same deck as the fitness center (but nothing like Freedom or Vision class ships and no free sauna/steam room).

Down one deck in the spa area there are locker rooms intended for those using the spa and thermal suite. I don't know how close the ladies' locker room is to the thermal suite, but you have to walk down a hallway from the men's locker room in the spa to get to the thermal suite. Because it is mixed-sex, bathing suits are required.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

The thermal suite on Oasis and Allure is a poor substitute for the nice locker areas on Royal's earlier classes of ships with the complimentary saunas/steam rooms. On Oasis/Allure, the men's locker area is down a hall from the thermal suite. There is a small steam room, small sauna, and an aromatherapy room in the thermal suite, as well as heated ceramic lounges and two specialty showers. The area is mixed-sex, so bathing suits are required, which is uncomfortable and unhygienic. The area is small and noisy if more than a few people are in it, and the layout of the sauna and steam room is odd and cramped. You have to be careful not to sit near the steam jet, which doesn't leave many places to sit in the steam room. During our Oasis cruise, it was less crowded (although the people who were using it hogged the lounges and were otherwise discourteous toward their fellow users*), but on our Allure cruise, it was almost always very busy and noisy, very hard to relax. It probably depends on the cruise you're on how many people will be using it, and some times of day are quieter than others.

I would have also taken their towels/robes off of the lounges. I do this at the pool when I see them sitting empty too long.

I was told that there is a free sauna/steam in the men's changing.... on the oasis????

It's been so long since I've been on the Oasis, I can't remember. I will however find out at the end of the month.

There is no free sauna/steam room on Oasis-class ships and later-built Royal ships. There's only the thermal suite. The fitness center on these ships has a small locker/bathroom area and that's it. One deck down there is a locker room in the spa for spa and thermal suite guests (but still no free sauna/steam).

Royal's earlier ships (most of them, anyway) have the nicer locker rooms in the fitness center with complimentary saunas/steam rooms, but from Oasis onward they went with these as a revenue source instead of a free amenity.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

[quote name=CntPAcruiser;50734072

Royal's earlier ships (most of them' date=' anyway) have the nicer locker rooms in the fitness center with complimentary saunas/steam rooms, but from Oasis onward they went with these as a revenue source instead of a free amenity.[/quote]

We have been on Freedom and Independence and they had great steam rooms and saunas. You are correct CntPAcruiser in that the newer ships don't have them and it's quite a shame. :(

We have been on Freedom and Independence and they had great steam rooms and saunas. You are correct CntPAcruiser in that the newer ships don't have them and it's quite a shame. :(

I agree about Freedom, and the same is true of Voyager-class ships. We tried Oasis and Allure and have zero interest in those and the new ones. We'll stick to the earlier ones for as long as they are around.

• 2 weeks later...