DIY in Dubrovnik

Kittyonions

Can anyone give some advice please on DIY excursion in Dubrovnik. We are on Oceania in September and would like to see this Port independently. Anyone know how much to budget for taxi into town from the port, and do we need to purchase the local currency in UK before we embark on this cruise. Any help would be much appreciated.

Most ships run a shuttle bus that will drop you just outside the wall. Take a walk round the wall if you are fit enough (quite a lot of steps and up and down). Take the cable car to the top overlooking the town or take a boat trip from the harbour.

We used a debit card that seemed to be accepted everywhere.

Great port.

David.

We were in Dubrovnik recently. We took a taxi directly from the port. For 50 euros, for the taxi, our driver took us on a tour. He took us up to the top of the cable car and round about. It was very interesting with fantastic views. We stopped here and there to take photos and learned a lot about recent history and the war. After about an hour he dropped us off at the entrance to the old town. Well worth it we thought.

Having explored the old town, we took a little boat trip (glass bottom, but not many fish) which provided some welcome relief from the heat and finally we chose to walk back to the port ( 30 mins) although there seemed to be buses going that way. I was quite glad we chose not to walk the walls as there was absolutely no shade up there and a lot of steps!

As for local currency, we did take some, but euros were widely accepted as well. hope this helps.

There are fixed price taxis from the port to Pile Gate which is the entrance to the Old Town - used to be €10 but I've read a review which says it's now £12 for the taxi. However in our experience other passengers double up so 4 of you can get in for that price. You go in through Pile Gate and can get up the walls there. I'd recommend you go early if it's likely to be a hot day though. You can get down again at various points so don't necessarily need to do the whole lot.

There is a bus which runs past the port but they get very very crowded and you do need Kuna for the bus.

We paid the same taxi price to the cable car. We paid for the cable car on our credit card also bought drinks at the cafe at the top (wonderful view) by cc too. When you come down the cable car, you can walk to the entrance in the city walls near the Harbour (diagonally across from the Pile Gate entrance).

I think Euros were acceptable in cafes and shops but if I remember correctly the exchange rate wasn't great - but for small purchases it wasn't worth changing cash and ending up with surplus Kuna. At one time they would only accept Kuna to walk the walls but this might have changed. I'm not sure but I think it might be possible to pay for the walls by cc in which case you could get by without any Kuna.

PS Just done a search and yes you can pay for the walls by cc but not in Euros so if you don't want to use a CC you would need some Kuna for that.

Edited by kruzseeka

Just outside the port gates you will find the local bus station. There is

an ATM so you coukd take out kuna with a debit card. We did this and caught the local bus to Cavtat. Pretty little place to wander if you have already been to Dubrovnlk.

Having been several times we decided to take a boat over to Lokrum island from the old harbour it was about 8 pounds if I remember correctly! Not expensive anyway....Lokrum is the closest island you can see and we spent several hours there....nothing much there a small cafe near the jetty and a larger restaurant on the opposite side of the island....swimming areas off the rocks with steps into the water.....paths all over the island, up to the top and round the seashore...open spaces and wooded areas....wild peacocks and their chicks....with wonderful views! We loved it and although the boat was full we hardly saw anyone once we'd left the jetty area...we usually get kunas in UK but we have in the past used the ATM near Pile gate with our debit card getting a good exchange rate.....using Euros is an expensive way of shopping as their exchange rate is high so it's best to use kunas.

Many thanks everyone for your invaluable help and advice. Knew we could rely on C.C. To get the information required. Looks as though we will be able to manage without buying Kuna, but now know where the ATM is if there is a need, but sounds as though we will manage with Euros and our faithful credit cards!!