Formal nights/dress codes on the Liberty

That is great news. I just love these threads and all the judging that goes on. I think RCCL has moved on and left some of the cruisers in the past.

Actually, some people like to see and call out "judging" where it doesn't exist. Although I suppose your post could come off as a bit judgy.

I was on Liberty recently, and shorts were definitely not listed as acceptable for dinner in the main dining room. So, if it has changed, it's a very recent change. And the information on the website still says, "Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner." Perhaps that is starting to change, but I heard someone declare about a year ago that they had changed this, and it turned out not to be true at that time.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Still said no shorts in the July 10th Compass for the Liberty, but I think vettecruiser1 was on the sailing after that.

Edited by Paul65

I love investigating for our trips. It keeps me sane and looking forward to something all spring and summer till we go in August. I had looked at several different compasses over the last few months for LOS.

Several of the cruises seemed to have 2 formal nights and five casual, some of which were labeled something like island or Caribbean casual.

However some appeared to have 2 formal, 2 smart casual, and 3 casual. This is the formula I noted on any with our itinerary, Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel. Does the formula change based on itinerary?

Sorry guys, for once it seems harder to dress as a man than a woman, lol. My husbands bringing his suit for formal and sport coat for smart casual. AND, is it just me... smart casual makes me think business casual not sport coat.

Sandy

Leaving in 10 day for Galveston, omg f I n a l l y. YAY!

Edited by Julia_Jackal

Smart Casual traditionally meant a sport coat, but I haven't ever noticed much difference in attire on a cruise between "Casual" and "Smart Casual" nights. Most people seem to treat them both more or less the same, and in some cases, they've dropped the "Smart Casual" designation altogether.

If your hubby wears a sport coat on Smart Casual nights, he'll be one of the more dressed up passengers around, I would expect.

Edited by Paul65

I love investigating for our trips. It keeps me sane and looking forward to something all spring and summer till we go in August. I had looked at several different compasses over the last few months for LOS.

Several of the cruises seemed to have 2 formal nights and five casual, some of which were labeled something like island or Caribbean casual.

However some appeared to have 2 formal, 2 smart casual, and 3 casual. This is the formula I noted on any with our itinerary, Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel. Does the formula change based on itinerary?

Sorry guys, for once it seems harder to dress as a man than a woman, lol. My husbands bringing his suit for formal and sport coat for smart casual. AND, is it just me... smart casual makes me think business casual not sport coat.

Sandy

Leaving in 10 day for Galveston, omg f I n a l l y. YAY!

We must be going on the same cruise - feels like the wait has been FOREVER!!! We are SO ready!!

I'm laughing at this thread.

Jeans in the summer, to me - no problem (born/raised in ATL, lived past 20 years in Houston).

Now, a sport coat? No way! I feel for you guys!

The last compass I saw for Liberty (July 10th 2016 sailing) said no short pants at dinner, even on casual nights.

Thanks for your help everyone, I just spoke with my son and we're going shopping this evening for some light docker type pants. Maybe some button shirts - he does have quite a few nice 3 button, collared polo shirts...maybe those will suffice. Ugh. I hate this. My 7 year old and I have tons of nice skirts and dresses but my 17 year old hates shopping for clothes :p

Yep. Know the drill. The polo shirts are fine for casual nights; that is my uniform of choice these days. There is really nothing wrong with a clean pair of jeans IMO, but I do find that khaki pants are comfy on the cruise and that is what I wear. Years ago we had a friend of our son sailing with us and he did not read the material we gave him. He showed up with a suitcase full of shorts and swimsuits. We stopped by a Target (or maybe Wally World?) on the way and he picked a couple of pair of inexpensive Khakis & he was all set. That said, don't stress. You and he will be fine.

Yep. Know the drill. The polo shirts are fine for casual nights; that is my uniform of choice these days. There is really nothing wrong with a clean pair of jeans IMO, but I do find that khaki pants are comfy on the cruise and that is what I wear. Years ago we had a friend of our son sailing with us and he did not read the material we gave him. He showed up with a suitcase full of shorts and swimsuits. We stopped by a Target (or maybe Wally World?) on the way and he picked a couple of pair of inexpensive Khakis & he was all set. That said, don't stress. You and he will be fine.

Careful, you're just adding more fuel to the fire of those who somehow thing this thread is judgmental and are "laughing at this thread", because a couple people have expressed a preference for khaki pants over jeans. :D

Careful, you're just adding more fuel to the fire of those who somehow thing this thread is judgmental and are "laughing at this thread", because a couple people have expressed a preference for khaki pants over jeans. :D

To clarify, I was laughing at the argument of jeans being too hot or not :D

I actually appreciate your thread, OP. I am also taking my son, so I too am trying to figure out what the heck he can wear since we own few pants that fit him at the moment thanks to summer growth spurt :)

Based on 20 some odd cruises, of which half were probably Galveston cruises...I definitely notice more jeans on Galveston cruises. We Texans (especially men) love our jeans. Galveston cruises just tend to have a more casual vibe. And I mean that in a good way.

Haven't seen smart casual in a day planner in a long time and the only time I see sports coats are formal nights.

Thanks so much everyone for all of your valuable input. I took my son shopping last night and picked up a nice pair of light tan dockers. He also has smart (as in brand new with belts) knee length shorts, nice jeans (dark colored, not faded, no holes, not baggy) as well as dress pants, shirt, tie and shoes. Whew! I think we're all set and ready to sail on the 14th :D

Okay I'm going to admit I think I found were everyone is going with no shorts. They have 2 different things printed. Under the dining room section they do list shorts are only permissible during breakfast and lunch. Then they also list the suggested attire for the night at the top.

One of the flaps in the compass goes into detail a little more detail about suggested attire for Formal, smart casual, Caribbean casual and casual. In that flap is were it states Casual attire can consist of shorts.

Like I said I was on the cruise I was on 2 days were formal and 5 days were casual, this was the July 17th cruise. We had no Caribbean casual and smart casual was only listed for Chops and Chefs table. It was even stated in one of the cooking demo by the chefs that if you like to dress in what you want please come to Gios or sabor on formal night. "we don't care how you look" was the comment.

I also want to say that I have seen on every ship we have sailed a sign at the MDR that swim suits , tanks, workout cloths and shorts are not allowed at dinner. I can tell you this sign was not present at all on Deck 5 anywhere.

I have dressed up for 15 years on cruises and I would say I like the Formal dinners but Casual is the way. It is so much easier to pack and prepare for both me and the wife. Also, 2nd formal is way more less formal then 1st night. I think it has to do with the sunburns.

Edited by vettecruiser1

Thanks so much everyone for all of your valuable input. I took my son shopping last night and picked up a nice pair of light tan dockers. He also has smart (as in brand new with belts) knee length shorts, nice jeans (dark colored, not faded, no holes, not baggy) as well as dress pants, shirt, tie and shoes. Whew! I think we're all set and ready to sail on the 14th :D

I think you'll be fine. Enjoy!

And if they really do not want to where pants to dinner and prefer to be more comfortable in shorts, they can go to the Windjammer for dinner. Just no tank tops or sleeveless shirts in Windjammer at any time.

DH wears tank tops and sleeveless shirts in Windjammer - daily -

Just not for dinner:cool:

DH wears tank tops and sleeveless shirts in Windjammer - daily -

Just not for dinner:cool:

That's odd - I've been turned away at lunch time because I was wearing a tank top. Maybe it was my tattoo that turn them off.😉

No, the guidelines still list shorts as not appropriate for dinner in the MDR. You're right about enforcement, but not about what is requested.

My friend that is going with us has no dress shirts, can he wear a polo on formal night? And are shorts allowed on casual nights, have not cruised RCL since 2011..Dennis

[quote name='ExFed drvr']My friend that is going with us has no dress shirts, can he wear a polo on formal night? And are shorts allowed on casual nights, have not cruised RCL since 2011..Dennis[/quote]
Polo shirts are common. They specifically ask for no shorts in the dining room in the evening, but you can probably ignore that as they are unlikely to enforce it.