Cruise Critic on Tauck!

Cruise Critic Chris

I attempt to enter a comment at the end of the Uniworld, Scenic comparison, however it seemed to want me to sign into Facebook. I did not want to do this so I am posting it here.

I saw on the forum the link to the comparison between Tauck and Uniworld and found it very interesting. Then I noticed the comparasion between Uniworld and Scenic. Of these three lines I have only been on one so cannot comment on the details of the information given. However, I would like to point out some discrepancies on the comments re Scenic.

The first thing I noticed was your comment on the lack of Balconies on Scenic. The first comment I thought for sure must be a typo. As I read further I realised this was not the case. While we could quibble about the defination, I do feel your post is very misleading.

When I did my research for our first river cruise, in 2012, scenic was, at that time, the only line I found that had " step outside" balconies and they were on the vast majority of cabins not only in the top suites. They were not part of the normal cabin and, at that time they were a major part of our decision. In 2014 we travelled again with Scenic, both were on their original ships, the concept had been improved to provide the option of turning the balcony into a sun room with the push of a button thereby making the balcony useable during inclement weather, still completely separate from the main cabin. If someone preferred to simply have the normal balcony they just had to not make use of this amazing feature. In either case, as with any balcony on any ship the doors that lead to the outdoor space can be left open if desired, although this may impact AC on some.

Secondly, there is another example of inaccuracy. This one is with regard to the laundry.

This year one bag of laundry per cruise will be done for all passengers. Even if we go back to previous year's your info is still inaccurate or at least incomplete. All passengers on the top deck and passengers in JR Balcony on the middle deck, can have two pieces of clothing, per person, pressed every day. This was the case on both of the cruises we have been and, with the addition of one bag of laundry, still exist for our third cruise which we will be departing on next week.

I found your comparisons very interesting as all three of these lines are on our radar for future cruises. So my comments are not intended to be cheerleading, I nor am I an Aussie.

However, like others, I do rely on info given being accurate and was disappointed to discover that, in the above instances, they were not entirely.

M C (tinylady)

Reviving this thread to let you know that most of my Tauck stories are up:

Review, ms Grace

Why Tauck is the Cruise Line For You

Tauck vs. Uniworld

One more story is coming (Tauck vs. Viking). Will post that once it's live.

These are great! But with both lines at the top end of Formal, I would like to see your comparison of Tauck with AMA: all-inclusive vs. value-inclusive? Formal vs. less so? And is AMA's food really better than anybody's (as the Berlitz book claims)?

• Members

Thanks, Jazz. I'm tentatively scheduled for Ama in November and that article was on my list.

I will say that we had another senior editor on both Ama and Uniworld this year, and they rated the food on Uniworld much better than Ama. That "Uniworld vs. Ama" story has yet to be published, but it's coming soon.

Re: Scenic vs. Uniworld. I didn't write that piece personally as I haven't done Scenic yet, but I will investigate to see if anything needs changed.

Edited by Cruise Critic Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Tauck Monte Carlo to Paris. Tauck is great in handling everything. Cruise staff terrific. We had Aurore, Veronica and Simon and they were so knowledgeable and pleasant. Food was outstanding and excursions were led by excellent local guides. Not much to do on ship.

We decided we prefer ocean cruising because of all the activities on the ship. Sometimes too many castles and churches can get boring!

• 5 months later...

Harpy3, there isn't a self service guest laundry on the Grace. We didn't have the need to use a laundry service so can't answer to that part of your question. You may want to give Tauck's guest services a call they should be able to give you an answer.