Service Charge

readingfast

Can anyone advise about removing the service charge if you have a problem?

Last January, we were told that, if they had a problem, people from the UK could go to the desk and have part of their service charge removed. People from the US could not and had to apply after the cruise.

Are things the same or, have UK people fallen into line with US citizens?

Not that we are anticipating anything, but it would be nice to know!

ok so the issue with this is that the service charge covers the room stewards, most wait staff, and some behind the scenes people and when you reduce or remove the DSC you hurt everyone. These "tips" are pooled so they are divided among all. Now some will say this is not true but having firsthand knowledge with family working on the ships I can tell you for sure it is.

If you have an issue complain to the direct supervisor, if not resolved bring it up to either the hotel director or the Food and beverage director or whoever is in charge of that department. 99% of the time the issue will be resolved. Do this immediately.

Don't be one of those people

Edited by pieshops

ok so the issue with this is that the service charge covers the room stewards, most wait staff, and some behind the scenes people and when you reduce or remove the DSC you hurt everyone. These "tips" are pooled so they are divided among all. Now some will say this is not true but having firsthand knowledge with family working on the ships I can tell you for sure it is.

If you have an issue complain to the direct supervisor, if not resolved bring it up to either the hotel director or the Food and beverage director or whoever is in charge of that department. 99% of the time the issue will be resolved. Do this immediately.

Don't be one of those people

Other crew members have reported that their pay is not affected if the service charges are adjusted or removed. Does your family refute that? (I am just asking to increase my knowledge of how things work.)

Other crew members have reported that their pay is not affected if the service charges are adjusted or removed. Does your family refute that? (I am just asking to increase my knowledge of how things work.)

At some point yes, they are not paid that week for that weeks gratuities, but yes, there are reports generated about who removes the charges and who kept them on.

Many on the ships when asked about tips will say this as to prey on western guilt and elicit cash tips such as a bartender being asked if they get any of the 18% added on for beverage packages, they say no and then people generally give cash.

Can anyone advise about removing the service charge if you have a problem?

Last January, we were told that, if they had a problem, people from the UK could go to the desk and have part of their service charge removed. People from the US could not and had to apply after the cruise.

Are things the same or, have UK people fallen into line with US citizens?

Not that we are anticipating anything, but it would be nice to know!

Nothing has changed, and there is really no need to be concerned, very very few if any people have any problem that justifies removing any portion of the service charge. 99.99% of the people who remove it do so simply because they don't want to pay it and should be considered as cheap.