Princess, Alaska, CPAP

yardbird

I know there are threads mentioing travel with CPAP, but this is new information.....I think... As regards traveling from place to place and allowed bags.

Up to yesterday, the general information for going by coach or train from one lodge to another was that you could only carry on one bag.

I have a small Osprey day lite pack and my CPAP has its own small carry case.

When I asked , I was told...

"We want you to keep your CPAP with you and you can carry your day bag PLUS the CPAP on the bus AND on the train. We will make room if necessary, but you keep that with you."

So....Princess is making this easy....again.

I'm a first time cruiser, first time to Alaska, lotta firsts, but we've traveled a fair bit. I have to say Princess is doing a pretty stellar job or organizing and moving a LOT of people efficiently and calmly.

Pretty impressed so far.

There's a law that medical equipment isn't "checked" luggage. The law most likely applies to Princess as much as it does United Airlines, Amtrak, Greyhound, etc.

BTW: be sure to pack an extra mask cushion/nasal pillows, some duct tape (for hose leaks) and your power cord.

Also, don't worry about using distilled water for every step of your trip. If it isn't available at the lodges/hotels, just use tap water. It's not a problem for short periods of time. If you get a mineral build-up, when you get home do an extra strong vinegar:water soak.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

There's a law that medical equipment isn't "checked" luggage. The law most likely applies to Princess as much as it does United Airlines, Amtrak, Greyhound, etc.

BTW: be sure to pack an extra mask cushion/nasal pillows, some duct tape (for hose leaks) and your power cord.

Also, don't worry about using distilled water for every step of your trip. If it isn't available at the lodges/hotels, just use tap water. It's not a problem for short periods of time. If you get a mineral build-up, when you get home do an extra strong vinegar:water soak.

I did not know there was a law about this, but.....yay!

Yeah, I always haul spare parts. I didn't bring the humidifier. I can go without it pretty easily for a couple weeks, but when I do travel with it, I just use the cleanest water available if distilled isn't readily available. All it means is you clean your humidifier tank every morning. It's just never been a big deal although I know some people are really focused on it.

Thanks for posting, Yardbird! It's a relief to know that info for sure. I almost was considering packing my CPAP in my day pack....glad to know they WILL consider it as a medical device like the airlines do. Now I can relax and pack easily! Hope you're having a great trip (if you're on it now, of course! ;) )

I did not know there was a law about this, but.....yay!

Yeah, I always haul spare parts. I didn't bring the humidifier. I can go without it pretty easily for a couple weeks, but when I do travel with it, I just use the cleanest water available if distilled isn't readily available. All it means is you clean your humidifier tank every morning. It's just never been a big deal although I know some people are really focused on it.

Great attitude about the humidifier. Just so you know, the tap water on the ship is as close to distilled as you can get. The ship will provide a gallon of distilled, but if you're unable to get it, just use tap water.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Yeah, this isn't new though...last year our travel companionship his C-pap with him along with his camera bag which doubled for his carry-on. Both went on bus, train, catamaran with him, no problems. C-pap fit overhead on bus with no probs, and fit under seat on train with no problems, and fit under the seat on catamaran no probs too.... They do make it very easy for all of us..

What is a CPAP??

Tony

CPAP, or continuous positive airway pressure, is a treatment that uses mild air pressure to keep the airways open. CPAP typically is used by people who have breathing problems, such as sleep apnea.

Face mask.

Edited by Colo Cruiser