Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - Statue of Liberty view?

RoxiRoo

Hello All,

Just starting to research my cruise for next year and I am wondering about the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - do the cruises go somewhat near the Statue of Liberty when they depart or return? I have never been to NYC (or the East Coast for that matter) and I am looking at maps and I am truly HOPING that we will get somewhat close to Lady Liberty.

Thank you for any assistance on this!

Julie

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - do the cruises go somewhat near the Statue of Liberty

From Brooklyn you DO NOT cruise pass the SOL. You are docked across from it, sort of. Between you and the SOL is Buttermilk Channel and the Governor's Island, then the upper bay and SOL.

In this dated pix, the SOL is out of shot but from the bow it is on the other side of the island you see, Governor's Island.

solk_zpsswaqrzuo.jpg

That's a bummer. I don't suppose the Captain could be persuaded to go around Governor's Island the other way on his way out? :) Just kidding. But dang......

Guess I will have to add harbor cruise to my list of things to do pre-cruise.....

That's a bummer. I don't suppose the Captain could be persuaded to go around Governor's Island the other way on his way out? :) Just kidding. But dang......

Guess I will have to add harbor cruise to my list of things to do pre-cruise.....

The Staten Island Ferry is free. Actually going out to the SOL could be cheaper than a commercial "harbor cruise".

Underwatr: Were you docked at Brooklyn Red Hook when you took the picture from your stateroom?

Yes, but as I said it was a zoom lens. The EXIF data in the photo says the zoom lens was at 250 mm.

Here's a wide angle (18 mm lens) shot of the same view.

5006326033_d1ee3f766d_z.jpg

With the naked eye I think it would appear about midway between these extremes. Maybe a little closer to the wide angle, I guess.

Edited by Underwatr

Just hop over to lower Manhattan and jump on the Staten Island Ferry. Ride it to SI then hop off then jump right back on to Manhattan and you get to go by it twice for free. And you won't be the only one doing this. Unless its rush hour probably a good majority of the ferry will be fellow tourists doing the same thing. ;).

Just hop over to lower Manhattan and jump on the Staten Island Ferry. Ride it to SI then hop off then jump right back on to Manhattan and you get to go by it twice for free. And you won't be the only one doing this. Unless its rush hour probably a good majority of the ferry will be fellow tourists doing the same thing. ;).

Thanks Trucker Dave! Excellent Advice!